• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any Sarasota area jetboaters?

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought my 2017 Yamaha SX195 a month ago and have had her out in Sarasota bay 3 times so far... Anchored off Jewfish Key sandbar, nosed up to the beach on beer can island, been to the ole salty dog by mote marine, been to mar vista restaurant... lots of fun so far! She's in for the 10 hour service now, but I can't wait to get her out on the water again. Ready to visit the fort on Egmont Key next. Any other Sarasota jetboaters out there? Favorite spots to cruise, relax, or eat? [flag]

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Actually, we did pass another identical sx195 near longboat key. I yelled "nice boat, i like it!" as we passed ...so there must be at least one other jet boater in the area! :winkingthumbsup"

Heading 70 miles offshore tomorrow at the crack 'o dawn to see if we can catch some dolphin and grouper. NOT in the sx195 though. Not ready to meet my maker just yet. My buddy has a center console we're taking. Not a bad deal since I only have to bring the beer. :D

ItsMike1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im not there yet but I move to SRQ in 20 days. I have the moeny set aside for a 2005-2007 SX/AR230 that I will be purchasing after we get settled in. Plan is to have it before October.

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im not there yet but I move to SRQ in 20 days. I have the moeny set aside for a 2005-2007 SX/AR230 that I will be purchasing after we get settled in. Plan is to have it before October.
Nice! Where you moving from and what brings you to SRQ?

The boating in Sarasota is pretty good year round, so you should be fine with an October purchase. There will be a few cool days as it rolls into "winter", but that's never stopped us from going out before as long as the ICW is smooth so you don't get wet with spray. :winkingthumbsup"

ItsMike1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nice! Where you moving from and what brings you to SRQ?

The boating in Sarasota is pretty good year round, so you should be fine with an October purchase. There will be a few cool days as it rolls into "winter", but that's never stopped us from going out before as long as the ICW is smooth so you don't get wet with spray. :winkingthumbsup"
We're (Im 32, wife 31, and 3,4, and 6 year old kids) from the Southwest Chicago Burbs. Basically were just looking for a big change and the salt life is what were looking for. Were super outdoorsy people and love water so being stuck in corn fields where its colds as shit 6 or 7 months of the year sucks. Plus Illinios is a sinking ship and I want to get out while I still can.

Weve got relatives in Lakewood Ranch and fell in love with the area visiting them. Were moving to Gulf Gate though for the combination of good schools, proximity to water, and it fits in our budget.

Not to worried about boating in the "winter"... Im quite looking forward to posting beach pics the first day it snows up here and everybody bitches up a storm.

What has been your favorite boating spot so far? Im really looking forward to exploring all the different areas.

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good for you for making a change to be where you want to be! You won't regret it. I grew up in Sarasota, moved away for several years, and moved back with my wife in 2010. We (wife, 9 month old daughter, and I) love it here!

Gulf Gate is a solid area that will continue to appreciate due to the good schools. My wife is a Realtor, and she was just showing some clients a few houses there over the 4th of July weekend. They found some really nice places in some great neighborhoods. Lakewood Ranch is great as well, but you have to watch out for the high CDD fees.

I really think Egmont Key and the sandbar at Jewfish Key are my favorite spots in the area.

Egmont YouTubes:

Jewfish YouTube:

If you drop the boat in a little north of Sarasota in the Manatee River, it makes access to some of the spots near St. Pete/ Clearwater easier (including Egmont Key). When we do guys-only trips, we like to hit the two-story Hooters at John's Pass... they have the breast views there... you know, of the water... because it's two stories...

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought my 2017 Yamaha SX195 a month ago and have had her out in Sarasota bay 3 times so far... Anchored off Jewfish Key sandbar, nosed up to the beach on beer can island, been to the ole salty dog by mote marine, been to mar vista restaurant... lots of fun so far! She's in for the 10 hour service now, but I can't wait to get her out on the water again. Ready to visit the fort on Egmont Key next. Any other Sarasota jetboaters out there? Favorite spots to cruise, relax, or eat? [flag]
My wife and I are in the area quite often. We tend to hang out at Passage Key (Sausage Key), Egmont or the Shell Key sandbar. We usually launch from Maximo.

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I are in the area quite often. We tend to hang out at Passage Key (Sausage Key), Egmont or the Shell Key sandbar. We usually launch from Maximo.
Nice. Sausage Key, huh? Been past there a few times. Never gone full monty though! haha

Others have recommended the Maximo ramp as well. I'm thinking I'll give that a try soon. Would love to cruise the ICW towards Tarpon Springs.

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice. Sausage Key, huh? Been past there a few times. Never gone full monty though! haha

Others have recommended the Maximo ramp as well. I'm thinking I'll give that a try soon. Would love to cruise the ICW towards Tarpon Springs.
Lol, we don't either but I think Sausage Key is a more accurate description. More like Retired Sausage Key. Haha.

We have gone as far north as Johns Pass on the ICW from Maximo. It's mostly no wake so I recommend a winter day vs the summer heat.

We plan on going out this weekend. I'll give you a heads up if we are in the area. I'm interested in checking out the SX195. We have an SX192.

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
She'll be getting her name on the transom this weekend, and then we're out of town the following weekend, so our next outing will probably be the first weekend in August. Would love meet up with some local jet boaters though! Keep me posted...

We're loving the SX195 so far. Can't get over how fast she accelerates! :D

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are not from there, but we rented a boat on vacation last summer. Cruised out to Egmont. Excellent and worth the trip. Be sure to stay in the channel and make a mental note of where you leave channel to go into open water as it was a bit of a challenge to find the markers on the way back (without GPS).

We went to a restaurant on the east side of Sarasota bay, the Swordfish grill. Best grouper sandwich I ever had. It's shallow getting in there, but a jet boat wouldn't have a problem,

Eric

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@probee773 orlando here!
That middle video with the black 242 Yamaha is me!
Welcome to the club man!
Beautiful area! Love it

probee773

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@probee773 orlando here!
That middle video with the black 242 Yamaha is me!
Welcome to the club man!
Beautiful area! Love it
Thanks man! Great video!

I used to live in Orlando for 5 years. I really miss going up the Saint John's River into Silver Glen. Nothing like boating in crystal clear spring water!

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@probee773 Thanks
Orlando is pretty cool because I am only 1 1/2 hour from each coast. But I prefer st Pete area.
My retirement plan is to move to st Pete or south of that.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Heading to Clearwater and Egmont key this weekend