• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any theories on what caused this?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow! This ruins a day. I hope the dealer will let it get fixed under warranty.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if my articulating keel gets damaged, I might get water ingress into my hull, I can't see Yamaha letting that happen :rolleyes:.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is a major bummer.
As others have mentioned - it would think it was a strike from underneath.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd definitely want to get my eyes on the through bolts in the inside of the hull. I think there are 2 or 3 and they are clearly visible from the clean out try "hatch port". I'd be looking to see if the bolt head on the lowest one is still attached, or pulled into the fiber glass....

I agree...looks like a bottom strike to me....probably wouldn't have had to have been a big one....just the weight of the boat sitting on the keel when backed into a beach, and a small wave....and thunk...half the boat weight dropped onto the keel...
My thoughts exactly. Check those thru bolts. I bet you those are okay though.
As @Britboater said, the drain opening would not be compromised as the whole "rudder" thing, I mean articulating keel, is just a bolt-on part.
upload_2017-5-14_9-43-59.png

(never mind the 3 small holes in the embedded aluminum plate on the left - those are for my backup bilge pump install, not from factory)
--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think that this overall design is an intended (and very smart) feature of the articulating keel.

I would think the rudder is deliberately made of weaker material to become sacrificial, in case of an impact.

This reminds me of similar "design philosophy" for motorcycle steering bar brake/clutch levers (which usually have break-apart notches molded in).

--

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since the rudder looks like it got pushed to the rear, I think it was hit by something at speed like a log or partially submerged chunk of debris. Or.... it's possible it got banged on the asphalt/concrete apron going in or out of a gas station.

Is the bottom of the rudder roughed up?

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A guess based on experience I'd say it's not from a strike but a casting defect. The reason I say that is because I have a really steep driveway & I drag the rear tip of my keel about every 3-4 times out when I don't get the angle just right. There's several gouges in my driveway & some scrapes on the keel but no structural damage (so far). It seem unlikely to me that you could have hit something in the water to damage it while I drive the keel into concrete without similar effects.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So many good points to agree with. I agree with designing in weaker areas to break first under unforeseen loads, but that would not be the place to do it, maybe the hinge pin or the actual rudder section of the assembly. Striking the rear of the articulating keel and pulling it away as it appears to be would be first guess, but no damage to bottom of "keel" was mentioned. Leading me to think there was a flaw during the casting process that revealed itself while "beating on his boat pretty hard" and you may need to find a metallurgist to prove it to Yamaha for a warranty claim. Unless they are aware of this problem, during their trials testing of launching from waves in heavy seas. Think they would have fixed those weak points though. Referring to the video of the AR tower test on a 21' yamaha years ago.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Brian eilrich Are you out there? We need your input.

Just to be clear, he discovered this prior to us going out. And if it didn't come off with what he did to his poor boat then I doubt it will break off later.

I felt the bottom edge of the rudder and did not feel anything unusual. But I did not look at it.

I believe it will be an interesting conversation between he and Yamaha. Any metallurgy guys on this forum?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Brian eilrich Are you out there? We need your input.

Just to be clear, he discovered this prior to us going out. And if it didn't come off with what he did to his poor boat then I doubt it will break off later.

I felt the bottom edge of the rudder and did not feel anything unusual. But I did not look at it.

I believe it will be an interesting conversation between he and Yamaha. Any metallurgy guys on this forum?
My father in law runs a machine shop and I can show it to him, but without the piece being in his hands, he probably couldn't figure it out. I've seen him weld pot metal before with impressive results, but I am sure it's some aluminum version of something knowing Yamaha.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He hit something or backed into something almost looks more likely since the hull looks fine. That whole piece on the 240 looks plastic.never really felt it to see if it was something different.
My exact thought, backed into a pier or something.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh man!! Sorry to see this. Hopefully Yamaha gets it taken care of quick. Looks like a bad casting or like someone else said, underwater debris.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it possible a small pebble, or other piece of debris could have been stuck in the action part of the hinge? Its a long shot but if something was floating around and found its way into the crevice of the hinge, then forced to turn with the steering wheel it would/could produce an outward force...that combined with a casting flaw? With the right leverage it wouldn't take much to pop that casting, could've felt like a light bind in the steering.