• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone ever regretted selling their boat?

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have my boat up for sale and I have to admit, I'm on the fence about getting rid of it, but I am tired of the upkeep. Washing and flushing after every use (I probably overdue it), but the boat looks just as good as a new one and it gives me no problems. For six years I have trailered this boat, putting it in and out of the water every time and that is getting real old. A few people called me about my boat and just about all of them had a boat before. I hate to sell it and have regrets afterwards. I guess this is a hobby that gets in your blood and once it does, it's hard to walk away.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone ever not regretted selling their boat?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not been without a boat for 30 years, so I can't answer you. The only regret I have every had with boats is when I sold my Sea Ray bow rider and went with a pontoon boat, the pontoon lasted about 2 months and then I bought my recently traded in Yamaha which made me a happy boater again.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Very much regretted selling my exciter. It would have meant i had two boats, but that little thing was my first! It was fast! I had redone the motors myself! Would knock your brains out in any type of chop but loved it anyways.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Andy S, the pontoons look nice, but not sure if I could ever see myself in one especially after the boat I have now. It appears you had a moment (lol), but came back to your senses two months later and went back to a somewhat traditional boat. Thanks for sharing.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put mine for sale last summer and had some interest, but wasn't all that motivated to sell. My main reason to try and sell was to get a smaller inboard that I could fit in a 7' garage door for the winter. Turns out I was more motivated to get my Yamaha in the 7' door.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger, been there, done that. That's how I ended up with boat I have now.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger, been there, done that. That's how I ended up with boat I have now.
Ok so you are just getting out of the boating game? Yes I would regret that but I still have two boats because I just can't seem to let the other one go I mean come on what if I have to put the Yamaha in the shop then I need the second boat just in case there is a nice day and I want to get out. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I had two Jet skis as well as the two boats I just sold one of the skis as I did not need 4 watercraft but I will admit I regret it I should have kept it as well 1 ski is not nearly as fun as 2. If you looking for less commitment something easier to trailer and less overall work you could always look at getting a pair of skis so much easier then boating in every aspect.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so you are just getting out of the boating game? Yes I would regret that but I still have two boats because I just can't seem to let the other one go I mean come on what if I have to put the Yamaha in the shop then I need the second boat just in case there is a nice day and I want to get out. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I had two Jet skis as well as the two boats I just sold one of the skis as I did not need 4 watercraft but I will admit I regret it I should have kept it as well 1 ski is not nearly as fun as 2. If you looking for less commitment something easier to trailer and less overall work you could always look at getting a pair of skis so much easier then boating in every aspect.
That's the problem. Part of me wants to get out of the boating game and the other is like no way. Nothing like being on the water. I would consider jet skis, but we have a nine year old and I feel safer in a boat than skis with her.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any way you can get a slip or have it at a dry stack marina with launch/retrieve service so that you don't have to deal with the trailering, launching and retrieving? We acquired a slip two years ago and it has made boating sooooo much more enjoyable for me. Yes, slips come with their own work and you have to accept that the boat will not be spotless all the time, but the convenience of being able to just drive to the marina, roll back the cover, jump in and go is awesome. Even more awesome is idling back in as the sun goes down and seeing the big line of boats waiting for their turn at the ramp. Just tuck it into the slip, pop the cover on, grab your cooler and you're outta there.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's the problem. Part of me wants to get out of the boating game and the other is like no way. Nothing like being on the water. I would consider jet skis, but we have a nine year old and I feel safer in a boat than skis with her.
I have a seven year old who has been riding since she was 5 with me on the ski. I bought the skis two years ago and I found I used them more them the boats. They are just so easy in every aspect. They fit in my garage, very easy to trailer, less maintenance as the are smaller and simpler overall even though the engines are the same, I have never sucked anything up in them and the draft is crazy low I can get into place that would make your sphincter pucker up even on a jet boat. If you do not like a lot of the hassles that come with boating they are great. Almost anytime I was going on the water and there was only 4 or less of us going I took the skis out of convenience. Shop around buy one thats a deal and if you hate it sell it. Unlike a boat the costs are so much less you wont take a big bath on it but I think it will eliminate some of your issues with the boat and keep you on the water.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I still regret selling my 06 SX 230 for a 10 242 ls. All of the extra features just weren't worth the extra money and hassle (leaking oil coolers, redoing mods like the sound absorbing, sound system, etc.). That stated I will probably die a boat owner even if my use tapers off as I get older, i just can't imagine giving it up voluntarily.

craigm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had to sell my boat in 2010 due to a divorce. With all that was going on then I did not really miss it and needed a break after 25 years of boat ownership.
My kids really missed it though, they were 8 and 13 at the time.
We picked up the current boat new in 2014 and am glad we did. Missed boating too much.
Now when the kids joke about my will the only thing my son wants is the boat.
I have backed off a bit about the extra care of the boat and don't agonize about every piece of sand left after the weekend. Makes it much more enjoyable.
I suspect once my kids have a boat I will be left with just the pontoon and that is fine.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seems if you are having this much of a hard time in just considering it...... ..... you prob will miss it terribly. .. give it a few more seasons or park it for a season and see how u feel.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I grew up on boats but this boat is our fist boat as an adult for both me and the wife... we r now talking about retiring to a live aboard .. (in 15 plus years) once the kids get older and are out of the house.. we will die boat owners... all the crap you have to do to them we love to do together.... (except the scupper replacement... that... that was ugly)!

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just sold mine, has debated for two years. I feel great, needed to lighten my material things load. Was a good time on the depreciation curve to sell, I'll be investing & growing the money instead of depreciating it, one less worry overall, and can always buy another if so desired.

So no I don't regret it. Time to hang out on friends boats for a while!

FYI, I've debated and lost sleep over every toy I've ever sold - cars, motorcycles, now boat. Haven't regretted a single one. For me, if I'm debating hard, it's time to change it up!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think about my boat often.....fondly....and then think about the new one on the way....

But my separation anxiety wouldn't be so bad if @Opresso would post a photo or two of him having fun with her! LOL HINT HINT

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couple things. Have you tried just using it in freshwater? A lot less maintainance and easier on the boat. Also I think if stay home on the next real nice boating day and you're going nuts thinking you should be out on the water that will be your answer. I can't stand it when it's a nice day and I have other crap to do and just think about how we should be on the boat instead.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Couple things. Have you tried just using it in freshwater? A lot less maintainance and easier on the boat. Also I think if stay home on the next real nice boating day and you're going nuts thinking you should be out on the water that will be your answer. I can't stand it when it's a nice day and I have other crap to do and just think about how we should be on the boat instead.
I boat on the CT River mostly. I'm pretty far up on the river, but still flush and wash after every use as I'm not sure if the water in totally fresh or may be brackish. I usually launch out of Haddam Meadows.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have a seven year old who has been riding since she was 5 with me on the ski. I bought the skis two years ago and I found I used them more them the boats. They are just so easy in every aspect. They fit in my garage, very easy to trailer, less maintenance as the are smaller and simpler overall even though the engines are the same, I have never sucked anything up in them and the draft is crazy low I can get into place that would make your sphincter pucker up even on a jet boat. If you do not like a lot of the hassles that come with boating they are great. Almost anytime I was going on the water and there was only 4 or less of us going I took the skis out of convenience. Shop around buy one thats a deal and if you hate it sell it. Unlike a boat the costs are so much less you wont take a big bath on it but I think it will eliminate some of your issues with the boat and keep you on the water.
I agree with all of this. I am having a similar struggle myself with my SeaDoo. I grew up on the water so it is most definitely in my blood. I've tried getting into cars, motorcycles, etc. but there is nothing like being on the water for me. I got my first SeaDoo when I was 12 and was hooked. I went back home and rode one of the ones from what I was kid after a few years of not riding one and immediately bought the SeaDoo RXT I have now. Since I've had kids, I've been riding less and less. Now to the point of not riding it at all and we bought the boat in 2014. I rode the SeaDoo 0 times in 2015, once in 2014, twice in 2013 and a handful of times in 2012. Most of the 43 hours are from 2009, 2010, and some from 2011.

The reason I bought the SeaDoo over a boat back in 2009 was because it is so much easier to deal with. Throw it in the water effortlessly, less to clean, put it in a regular garage, cheaper. With one kid, she just came with us. Now with three kids that isn't happening. We were completely comfortable with one kid on a 3-up ski. I've been holding onto it all these years thinking I will use it, but I guess it's time to let it go now. Sadly I don't think I will ever find another one that was taken care of like this for this price and I know I will miss it, because it is more fun riding it than driving the boat. The boat is a family ordeal though, and that's where I am now. I will probably regret selling it, but I'm tired of walking around it in the garage without any use. I took a picture of my 18 month old son on it the other day and realized in a few years he will love it, but do I want to hold on to it until then? I don't think so...