• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone leave their boat uncovered for many days?

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Members,

Like the title said, anyone leave their boat uncovered for days on end in the sun? I use my boat often and its wet slipped. I like to arrive and go and not spend time removing the snap on cover. When I leave it uncovered I leave the bimini top open to provide shade. Also, theres a big Silverton next to me that blocks a lot of afternoon light. I only cover the boat when the rain is coming. Should I be covering it more often?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Understand this: The sun and rain WILL destroy your boat. It will fade gel coat color, seats, bimini, etc. By leaving it uncovered all the time you will devalue your boat so fast it will make your head spin.

If you have any desire to maintain the boat's resale value you will keep it covered at all times when not in use. The cover will be ruined by the sun every few years but the cost of a new cover is cheap compared to the devaluation that happens to your boat without it.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Exactly...the suns UVs will destroy the vinyl.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm always amazed when I see a 40-100K boat sitting uncovered all the time. I know it is a little different, but its akin to leaving the sunroof open all the time in your car! Any boat that has been left uncovered ages WAY faster than those that are covered. I didn't buy the Yamaha cockpit cover because it didn't cover the swim deck seat back, and have one made custom that did. The sun fades and UV burns the seats, dash, gelcoat, carpet...even the cup holders. I've seen boats that look like absolute CRAP at my marina....always ones that have lived uncovered! My boat is probably worth something like 20K well kept.....I wouldn't pay more than 10K for the same boat left uncovered.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 13 year old Yamaha that was new to me 2 years ago. When I got it the original upholstery and OEM cover were all in very decent shape. I always cover it except in this circumstance... wevboat a lot late in the day or at night when I get back to the house and get it on our lift it is dark. I do my full cleanup and flush no matter how late it is. I will never cover the boat unless it is completely dry so if we are going to use the boat the next day it may not get covered. While I never like having the boat uncovered I believe this is a good comprimise to possibly covering it wet. I guess the proof is no one believes our boat is 13 years old... It still looks new.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is probably worth something like 20K well kept.....I wouldn't pay more than 10K for the same boat left uncovered.
When I was boat shopping, I wouldn't even consider a boat that was fading due to exposure. To me it's a sign of how well other parts of the boat were maintained.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
When I was boat shopping, I wouldn't even consider a boat that was fading due to exposure. To me it's a sign of how well other parts of the boat were maintained.
That could easily be the case.

We would pass about 100 rental pontoons and jet skis on our way out of out slip and none were ever covered, always in the water. Jet skis would be up on the floating docks but never rinsed. They just didn't care, they dump them every couple years. They could never sell one cheap enough for me to buy it. Probably get their first oil change right before they get sold so the dipstick looks clean.

To the OP, nobody is saying you're neglecting the boat in other areas, just trying to point out how a buyer might look at it if you were to sell. Spend the little extra time covering it.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 13 year old Yamaha that was new to me 2 years ago. When I got it the original upholstery and OEM cover were all in very decent shape. I always cover it except in this circumstance... wevboat a lot late in the day or at night when I get back to the house and get it on our lift it is dark. I do my full cleanup and flush no matter how late it is. I will never cover the boat unless it is completely dry so if we are going to use the boat the next day it may not get covered. While I never like having the boat uncovered I believe this is a good comprimise to possibly covering it wet. I guess the proof is no one believes our boat is 13 years old... It still looks new.
I do something similar....like you, I always do my flush and clean up no matter how late. If the boat is damp when I go to put it away, I'll put the cover on, but fold it up on the front and back so it gets plenty of airflow. That way, most of the upholstery is covered, but still can dry. I'll usually try to find a few hours to completely pull the cover off the next day to let it dry thoroughly, but it spends no substantial time uncovered.

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input guys. Reading about all the damage I scooted down to the boat to take a close look without anyone there waiting to go out and in clear sunlight. The boat is still minty including the gelcoat and seats. She just needs a good washing when I pull her out in 2 weeks. Since May 20th when she went in, I would say shes been covered about 80% of the time. Question though, when I do cover her, the cockpit covered leaves a strip of the almond gelcoat uncovered. Will this get damaged? Will waxing the boat protect it from damage?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input guys. Reading about all the damage I scooted down to the boat to take a close look without anyone there waiting to go out and in clear sunlight. The boat is still minty including the gelcoat and seats. She just needs a good washing when I pull her out in 2 weeks. Since May 20th when she went in, I would say shes been covered about 80% of the time. Question though, when I do cover her, the cockpit covered leaves a strip of the almond gelcoat uncovered. Will this get damaged? Will waxing the boat protect it from damage?
I'd seriously consider a full boat cover. Wax will help protect those spots, but it will only delay the inevitable.

I became "religious" about covering boats back when I was still in my early teens. The year was 1985-ish and we still had my Dad's 14', 1965 Shell Lake LeSabre 500. It was just a simple little runabout but it had the prettiest candy-apple-red topsides that you could ever want. We ALWAYS kept it in the garage.

Well, Dad decided that - for convenience - he wanted to keep it out by the cottage. It was on its trailer, but left outside. We had a full canvas setup, so we put the top up, the side curtains and stern sheet and figured she was pretty well protected from the elements. At the end of summer, she went back in the garage to be out of the nasty Upper Peninsula of Michigan winters.

The next spring when we really started looking at it, we realized the error of our ways. That beautiful red was now a puke-colored pink. Worse yet, some areas hadn't been exposed, so the thing almost looked striped. My Dad must have tried every "restorer" product know to man (and some voodoo ideas from his buddies when he got desperate) but it was no use.

It was a crying shame. That boat was 20 years old and HAD looked brand new. All it took was one summer in the sun for her to look 30 years old.

I have a storage unit I rent that gives me enough room for my boats and other various and sundry items, so mine is pampered as far as that goes. (She's sitting in the driveway now waiting to take us out tomorrow and I'm cringing at the fact that she's in the sun - how anal is that anyway?) Honestly, if I had a boat-lift on the lake, I'd either have a full cover for her or else a canopy over the lift.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cover it most of the time. Most I've ever left it uncovered was a day.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine is wetslipped. I've left it for five days the most. We're boating from 11-11:30 in the am to late afternoon/evening. I'll leave it uncovered on the overnights if no rain is predicted. Whether we're on the water or it't in the slip, it's getting the same amount of sun time.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, covering your boat may be the least fun part about taking the boat out. As much as I hate to do it at the end of each outing, I think it's well worth the effort to protect your investment. Not covering your boat to me is the same as throwing your hard earned money away.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it's not going to rain and we're using it the next day, I'll leave uncovered if there isn't much chance of dew in the morning. Otherwise, I'll lightly cover with the mooring cover without poles.

The poles are a pain when on the water, so they're usually only used when weather calls for them.

I try to balance keeping the boat in great condition with convenience for use.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat goes into Tahoe early each June and then comes out at Labor Day. When we're not at the lake it's covered with the towing/storage cover. When we get to the lake, the cover comes off and the boat is uncovered fro the length of our stay, then the cover goes back on before we leave. While we're up at the lake, we typically use the boat every day. In the four seasons we've had the boat, the towing cover is about done and it's starting to rip from the sun deteriorating it. For this trip out of the lake, I bought a new cover to use fro towing and I'll try to get another season out of the old cover. Here's a few things I've noticed about this cover:

1. It breathes. Due to the way the drain works in the anchor locker, water back up into it when at any speed less than on a plane. The result is that the anchor line is always soaked. At the end of the trip, I string the anchor line out on the inside of the boat and it's always dry in a day or two.

2. Always use the trailer/storage cover in a wet slip. Yes, you may have the snap on covers however, this cover effectively covers everything from the rub-strip up...including the swim platform. This keeps ducks and geese off of the boat. I just love seeing those 100k Tige's in the marina with geese crapping on the swim cover.

3. Covering the boat at the end of the trip only takes about 15-20 minutes. This little bit of time is well worth preserving the value of the boat. I'll gladly sacrifice a $500 cover every 4-5 seasons if it'll keep my toy in overall better shape for the long haul.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been using my mooring cover in my covered wet slip even though it is pain to install after a day on the lake. Twice I cheated when getting back late and knew I would be back on the lake the next day. Both times it rained that night and even though the slip is covered I had a mess to deal with the next day. Moral of the story - cover every time!

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
High and dry inside a nice dark shed.:winkingthumbsup". Middle rack no birds or varmints.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SO lucky to be Garaged. I too feel bad when the boat is in the blistering sun for a full day on the water. Often my wife will throw towels over the seats and dash. We're both crazy

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of you almost make me feel bad for leaving mine uncovered today to dry out real good:)

If I'm not using it or drying it out mine is covered, I'm happy to now have a covered storage spot!