• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone tow the 25ft boats with a 4runner/Land Cruiser?

chippens

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The latest 4Runners and Land Cruisers are rated to 6,000 lbs. The 2024 AR250 dry weight on trailer is 5,224 lbs. Gas, driver, gear, etc. and its pretty darn close to maxed out. My use case scenario is just 10-15 miles one way at sea level probably a couple times a year. I currently don't own a tow vehicle. The boat is dropped off in May and picked up in September and stays on the lake all season and that worked pretty well this year. But I'm in the market for a new vehicle anyway and if the one I get could do some limited towing that would be a bonus. I'm looking at this class of vehicle in general, and one differentiating factor is the 4Runner/Land Cruiser will tow 6,000 whereas most mid size SUVs max out at 5,000.

We towed just a 21 foot (212X) with our 4Runner and it was scary. The boat is heavy enough to push the vehicle around and the 4.0 V6 is a great motor but had to hunt for gears to keep decent speed. Can't imagine a 25 foot boat. Just my 2 cents. You can see in my profile pic the size of a 21 foot vs a 4Runner.

The tow police will say absolutely not. It's best to stay at around 80% if you can. Tongue weight and payload/distribution factor in when you push it. All this said, if there was a route I could safely drive nice and slow and not anger the locals, I would consider it.

Run it to empty, bring all the toys and gear home separately, make sure the vehicle isn't full of people and gear... It's doable.

It reads like you currently have the boat dropped off at the beginning of the season and returned at the end. Stick with doing this and buy the SUV you really want to drive the other 99.5% of the time when you wouldn’t be towing the boat. Even if you could physically tow your boat, I’m betting it might be a pretty crappy tow.

Jim

Pathfinder also tows 6000lbs. But just like 4runner, I wouldn't recommend it. Explorer used to do 5600 pounds, but is down to 5000 for 2025.

IMO, there are really only 3-4 options in that class worth towing with. Durango with a V8 (tow n go for the 5.7, or towing with the 6.4 or hellcat), Grand Cherokee L with the 5.7, X5/X7, or Q7 with the V6 (or the SQ7). The problem with these is most of the are priced in range of a fullsize SUVs like Tahoe or expedition that's gonna do it way better and likely be more robust. Of the lot, Durango would be the one I would trust the most because it's been out longer and is likely through the kinks, but it's also by far the most outdated feature wise.

I love my X5 M50i. I wouldn't tow a 25' boat with it regularly. That's far better done in a fullsize SUV or truck. Twice a year, no hills, to and from the marina, and I can pick when I do it, I'd be more inclined to try a midsize SUV of the 4 installed about above.

If you're referring to the new Land Cruiser, I'd say no to either of them. @swatski used to tow a 24' with the previous version of the Land Cruiser with no noted problems that I'm aware of.

I tow a 21' with a Lexus GX470 and have had zero issues. The GX 460 is rated for 500lbs more than the 4Runner and new Landy's.

For the price you're looking at for a new Landy, I'd look at the Lexus GX 550, and have all the towing capabilities you're gonna need

For the price you're looking at for a new Landy, I'd look at the Lexus GX 550, and have all the towing capabilities you're gonna need
The new GX 550 is making me wonder if my '07 Tahoe is nearing the end of its road...
1728347698407.gif

Attachments

• 1728347450389.gif
    1728347450389.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
If you're referring to the new Land Cruiser, I'd say no to either of them. @swatski used to tow a 24' with the previous version of the Land Cruiser with no noted problems that I'm aware of.

I tow a 21' with a Lexus GX470 and have had zero issues. The GX 460 is rated for 500lbs more than the 4Runner and new Landy's.

110% agree with all of this. GX550 was on my short list of Q7 replacements. Only issue I have with it right now is availability, and most dealers are still adding "market price adjustments" to them. Same chassis as the new Land Cruiser, but the GX gets the hybrid TTV6 engine. Sharp looking exterior as well, especially in the Overtrail trim.

Only complaint I heard from @swatski with his Land Cruiser was range. The land Cruiser was thirsty, and had a absurd small tank. Had some tight sections when he towed out to Lake Powell from the East Coast. Said he loved it otherwise, if I remember right.

I know @Julian tows his 24ft with a Q7, and after my experience with the Q7 I would do the same. The German midsize SUVs tow better than they get credit for. My Q7 was a better tow vehicle than my Sierra, Traverse, or Yukon were, without a doubt.

I’m assuming the fuel capacity of the 2024 AR 250 is 75 gallons, or 450 pounds of fuel (you’ll want a full tank of treated gas in the tank from September to May) which brings the wet weight on the trailer to 5,674# leaving you 326# for people and cargo.

Toyota was the first to adopt the SAE J2807 towing standard which is a rigorous real world test for towing capacities that includes cooling capacity, acceleration tests, and braking distance, no more of that “it’s rated to tow this big number as long as it is a certain vehicle with a certain set of specifications”. In other words if it’s rated for 6000# then it can tow 6000# safely. Here is a motor trend article about it https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/.

I have no problem towing at maximum tow capacity with any tow vehicle that meets the J2807 standard.

Based on your towing scenario you are well within the safe capacity to tow your AR250 with the vehicle you mentioned. But you will not have capacity to add very much weight beyond two people and an ice chest, so if you wanted to tow to a lake a good distance away you’d need another vehicle to carry the rest of your gear. So if you think you’ll ever want to go to a distant lake for a vacation etc.. you should consider a tow vehicle with a greater tow capacity.

I’ll just add don’t go by the maximum tow ratings given for a class of vehicles. ACTUAL tow ratings are vehicle specific and will vary for how individual vehicles have been built. There can be a wide range of tow ratings within any given class of vehicle.

Jim

If you're only moving it twice a year you can rent a full size truck and tow it with that instead of what you get. Enterprise rental offers them in my area for $75ish a day.

110% agree with all of this. GX550 was on my short list of Q7 replacements. Only issue I have with it right now is availability, and most dealers are still adding "market price adjustments" to them. Same chassis as the new Land Cruiser, but the GX gets the hybrid TTV6 engine. Sharp looking exterior as well, especially in the Overtrail trim.

Only complaint I heard from @swatski with his Land Cruiser was range. The land Cruiser was thirsty, and had a absurd small tank. Had some tight sections when he towed out to Lake Powell from the East Coast. Said he loved it otherwise, if I remember right.

I know @Julian tows his 24ft with a Q7, and after my experience with the Q7 I would do the same. The German midsize SUVs tow better than they get credit for. My Q7 was a better tow vehicle than my Sierra, Traverse, or Yukon were, without a doubt.

IIRC, the Land Cruiser got 12 or 13 mpg, or some other low number. My GX isn't much better at 15, and I think the new GX averages 17 - that's with a supposed rating of 24mpg highway, which is stellar and would fit perfectly with my use, I just can't bring myself to buy new, and the "used" versions are still selling for $70k+ in my area. My GX is a steady 15 no matter what, highway use will climb to 17mpg, but I drag it down with travel to work.

From my experience, my older GX is WAY better with fuel economy than my old F150 was. I had 2mpg dropoff when pulling the boat, but my F150 dropped 6+ mpg. While I'm not a fan of shelling out money for fuel, it's also not something at the top of the list of my concerns for vehicle needs, it factors in several steps down the line after all things are considered. I'm actually looking for a 2014-2019 GX460 right now, and relegating the current vehicle to the wife's winter vehicle and spare tow vehicle to leave at the lake house.

I think the reason your Audi and my GX tow so well is the geometry and distance between the hitch itself and the rear axle - it felt better than the F150 when the boat was behind, less jerky or "lagging"...kinda hard to explain

We bought the new 2024 Sequoia Platinum - so same 3.4L twin turbo V6 that is in the new GX, and it tows really well but don't be too ready for good fuel economy. On premium we get 17-18 in town and 19-20 Hwy. We are fairly hard on the gas pedal but just make sure your expectations are set right. Plus, when you move to hybrid your insurance will double. Still better than my 10mpg supercharged Tundra....but no where as many smiles per gallon.

Interesting bit about the insurance rates and hybrids…

MPG is directly proportional to the amount of force applied to the throttle pedal and of course how fast you tow. It takes X amount of watts to accelerate to a certain speed at a certain rate, and X amount of watts to maintain a highway speed. Usually 65 mph and below will yield the best mpg, but that depends on where the torque curve first peaks, so on a turbo charged diesel engine that is usually around 1600 rpm.

10mpg is pretty standard, if you can get 12-13 that is money. The best I’ve see is 14mpg towing my boat with a 2020 F-350 6.7L diesel with 3.55 end gears which puts me at 1600 rpm and 65 mph.

Using regular gas, I get 12 mpg when towing with my Ram 1500, 5.7L and a 3.92 rear axle. I always tow under 65 as that is my towing comfort zone.

Jim

@drewkaree I agree on the why. Shorter lever arm, combined with better brakes, suspension and tires than our fulsize pickup counterparts.

Also, I wasn't saying the Land Cruiser had particularly poor mileage, just that it had a particularly small tank. Looks like the '20 vintage trucks only had a 24gal tank, which isn't much range at 12mpg. He was also very clear that he was towing at 75-80mph as well, so that wasn't helping things. I couldn't find the post where he discussed it, but I did find this one.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone heard from swatski? Last I recall he was sharing his experiences from NJ and the Hudson with his new to him Edgewater, after parting ways with his Parker.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone heard from swatski? Last I recall he was sharing his experiences from NJ and the Hudson with his new to him Edgewater, after parting ways with his Parker.
I hadn't seen the Edgewater, but knew he bought it. Haven't seen him in quite some time. Hope he's OK, and just too busy to say hi.

I hadn't seen the Edgewater, but knew he bought it. Haven't seen him in quite some time. Hope he's OK, and just too busy to say hi.
Likewise, that’s why I was asking, he was really active on here, and always sharing his experiences, and scenic cruises along the Hudson, and then started to talk about the challenges he was having with his new boat and not being able to fill one of the gas tanks (don’t recall if it was a kinked line, or the filter).

Back