• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone use a Winlass?

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I really don’t like anchoring. I don’t like dropping it. I don’t like pulling it up.
My kids aren’t quite big enough to have them do it without damaging the boat.
Don’t have room on the boat (7 of us in the family plus 2 big dogs) to pay someone to ride with us to do it.
Don’t like trying to hold the rope/chain while trying to clear off mud and grass/weeds to keep it from hitting the boat.
I know I’m lazy in this area, but I’m thinking a winlass may be the solution. Not common on our smaller boats.

Has anyone here done this?
Have you thought about it?

Last edited:
Thank you Zipper! I’m pretty sure I will need a few more pictures and probably have to contact GMtech to do it.

I did an anchor roller with the winch mounted under the bow seats. It’s great being able to press a button to raise/lower the anchor.

0D85B92C-C196-43AB-896E-8BE6A638ADC0.jpeg1DC8F80D-498B-48C4-A599-5FCA42B7006B.png

Good luck with this. I really like what others have done. I thought about doing this too but came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t going to work. So I ended up using a cord reel like the one pictured below. It has been super great. Just hold on to the black piece in the center and let it unravel. Works like a charm. When pulling back up, have one of your kids feed the line back onto the spool while your pulling it in. Tell them it’s very important that it is spooled correctly so it doesn’t tangle the next time you anchor. The worst part is the cleaning off the anchor, but you’ll have to do that regardless of your system. This made my anchoring experience a whole lot nicer. Something to consider.

Like the ideas. I am going to need to do a lot of planning and probably a few layouts at the end of the season (still a solid 3 months left). Thinking it will be pretty tight and will probably have to learn to weld for this project.

Thank you, what model did you get? I still haven’t pulled the trigger on this project…

Cycle Springs (dealer in Florida) put a windlass on a Yamaha 275 (not keen on the look of it), so it is doable.

Regarding cleaning the anchor off, I just pull the anchor to within 3-4 feet of the cleat, tie it off (leave the anchor locker open as my failsafe not to forget it), and then no wake drive out of the cove. Once out of the cove, then anchor is clean and I pull it in the boat.
1645035543310.png
1645035558580.png
1645035579563.png

1645035601230.png

1645035618921.png

This was the first time, I ever owned a windless. Always had to pull anchor by hand. A lot older now this is going to be sweet to use.Makes anchoring a breeze. Make sure to get the bow up/down remote buttons for lowering and raising the anchor from the bow. Install is straight forward and not overly difficult but take your time and use the proper cabling. You wont find a better Windless than Lewmar for the money.

Love my Lewmar. Do you have a picture of the Lewmar windlass mounted on your 2008 Axis? Wait, did’nt Malibu start Axis in 2009? Idk, still would like to see the install.

Edit: Show me yours and I will show you mine.⛵?

Last edited:
Cycle Springs (dealer in Florida) put a windlass on a Yamaha 275 (not keen on the look of it), so it is doable.

Regarding cleaning the anchor off, I just pull the anchor to within 3-4 feet of the cleat, tie it off (leave the anchor locker open as my failsafe not to forget it), and then no wake drive out of the cove. Once out of the cove, then anchor is clean and I pull it in the boat.
View attachment 171235
View attachment 171236
View attachment 171237

View attachment 171238

View attachment 171239
Don’t be nice about it…it’s Fugly.

I don't mind the fugliness of the Cycle Springs solution, I'd probably do it myself in a heartbeat. My initial reservation about it is how low to the water it is. In rough seas, could easily submerge the anchor and put considerable stress on the bow of the boat. Considering how thin the hulls are, could be a disaster.

I don't mind the fugliness of the Cycle Springs solution, I'd probably do it myself in a heartbeat. My initial reservation about it is how low to the water it is. In rough seas, could easily submerge the anchor and put considerable stress on the bow of the boat. Considering how thin the hulls are, could be a disaster.

The low design/installation is the fugly part. Would not want to use that with trim tabs on chop. That hole in the bow is scary if you have drain issues. It needs to be out of the water in all but extreme conditions

This is my boat before I own it 3years ago my dad never use something like this. When it was handed down to me I got one. I did searches on the pro's what they use. My first introduction to Lewmar was one of their winches.

I was only asking for a picture, please take one and post it here. I can count on one hand, the number of windlasses installed on boats in this group. Many of us would like to see how you installed your windlass on your/your dad's 24' Axis. What type of switch did you use? Hand or foot control? Which model of Lewmar winch did you install? Was the gypsy chosen to fit your chain? I know lots of questions. But I would like to see the unicorn.

I already showed you mine. https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyone-use-a-winlass.34069/#post-549235

Last edited:
Back