• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 240 Water every time I go Out..

I think @Mike Clark was referring to bolts with a 10mm head it's the exhaust flange that comes through the hull . They took a few turns on my boat as well

I think @Mike Clark was referring to bolts with a 10mm head it's the exhaust flange that comes through the hull . They took a few turns on my boat as well
Did the tightening of the bolts stop the leaking? Are these accessible from ouside the hull, or inside the inspection hatch between the two jet drive cleanouts....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of the exhaust port. Round black on left side of picture. Tighten up the 3 screws securely. One on their side also for other engine. Hope this fixes your issue, Good luck!

Attachments

• 50DA62CC-60F2-4739-AE15-D7090C5AF6D7.jpeg
    50DA62CC-60F2-4739-AE15-D7090C5AF6D7.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 58
Here is a picture of the exhaust port. Round black on left side of picture. Tighten up the 3 screws securely. One on their side also for other engine. Hope this fixes your issue, Good luck!
tightened the 10 mm bolts and the amount of water was greatly decreased... Still had about a gallon. Any other thoghts about where it is leaking please post and I will check them out... Thanks for all the replies....

Amazing tip!!! I just went out to my garage and I got at least 4 turns out of each bolt per side.
Sometimes I have more water than other times. There has been 1 time when I’ve noticed my bulge running “ Like twice over a 4 hour period”, I leave it on 24/7 when the boat is in the water and constantly monitor it and the coolant ports. I have been trying to get in the habit of turning when I come off plane as to not take water over the back, but even when we are out and the kids are in and out of the water and jumping and playing I notice a lot of water on both swim platforms. I know I need to re seal my clean out trey, just haven’t gotten around to it. “ It’s a winter project lol”

Another +1 for checking those exhaust port bolts. Picked up our '19 242X last Friday. First day out on Saturday, noticed the bilge pump puking water a couple times during the day. Then at the end of the day, when I got it on the ramp and pulled the plug a fair amount of water came out.

Sunday morning I tightened those exhaust port bolts (they weren't finger loose but I got a few good turns on all of them). A few times during the day I opened the engine hatch and it was nice and dry and I never noticed the bilge pump. There was still some water when I pulled the drain plug on the ramp but nothing like the day before.

tightened the 10 mm bolts and the amount of water was greatly decreased... Still had about a gallon. Any other thoghts about where it is leaking please post and I will check them out... Thanks for all the replies....
Did the dealer seal the rub rail (I think I recall you saying they were going to???)

We took our (new to us) 2008 AR230 out this past weekend for the first time. Launched about lunch time on Saturday, rode/swam/ate for about 7 hours on Saturday. Kept in water moored to our dock overnight, and rode/swam another two hours on Sunday. Then back on the trailer. Total time in water about 26 hours.

I removed the drain plug and water poured out for about 25 seconds. I didn't think to measure gallons but this seems like a long time for water to pour out. Blige pump was switched on the entire time in the water but the pump never turned on (unless it happened over night while moored). I know I'm guilty of stopping abruptly because I drove the boat like our waverunners. The clean out plugs were covered in water so I suspect some of the water in the hull came from those stops. I'll check the sealing.

I will also check the exhaust bolts this weekend, but wanted to ask whether or not it is possible to overtighten the bolts. I don't want to crank them down and crack the hull.

These boats do collect water in the lower bilge and it's not uncommon for them to drain. I pulled mine out of the lake Friday as it's been wet slipped since June. I was surprised there wasn't any water out of the drain when I pulled it. Once I got it back to the driveway and unhooked the trailer from the car, it did drain a little bit.

I'd be leery of trying to tighten the exhaust bolts ... I'd just run a wrench over them to ensure they are snug. On a 2008 I wouldn't be surprised if there's some rust on the threads and it could be easy to over torque them and twist them off...which could create numerous other hassles to be fixed (after a round or two of cussing).

I'd be leery of trying to tighten the exhaust bolts ... I'd just run a wrench over them to ensure they are snug. On a 2008 I wouldn't be surprised if there's some rust on the threads and it could be easy to over torque them and twist them off...which could create numerous other hassles to be fixed (after a round or two of cussing).

Thanks! Would it be worth it to attempt to (gently) back our the existing bolts and replace?

You could...but I'd be more on the conservative side and if they seem tight, let them be.

Back