• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Charger for Dummies? o_O

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What? That thingamajiggy goes where? To that red looking thing? :bucktooth: :nailbiting:

My first project this spring is to get a battery charger for my boat. Yes, I lived without it for 2 years. :shamefullyembarrased: :banghead:
My boat (242 LS, 2012 w/ duel batteries) is kept in a boatel and do not have access to an outlet.
Only means of charging is to have them take the boat down and set on a rack or I take the battery(s) home.

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • What should I be looking for?
  • DVSR? ACR? VSR? OMG!
  • What are some good brand out there?
  • Should I be looking at adding a third battery? I do plan on upgrading my stereo and adding an AMP.
  • What are some good batteries?
Am I missing anything else?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Subscribed!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a Blue Sea add a battery with ACR and a Guest onboard dual charger. What you need will depend on your use of the batteries. Do you sit and discharge the 2nd battery cranking tunes, or do you just have it as a safety backup. If that 2nd battery is getting discharged significantly, then you will probably want a stronger (faster) on board charger (a 20amp) than the one below-as I assume your boat yard won't leave it sitting charging for very long???

Blue Sea Systems 7560 Add-A-Battery System - Battery Switch and ACR
On board charger is a Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger (12/24-Volt, 10-Amps 5/5, Double Output)

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
He is in the same marina as I am.

Yeah, the battery issue is a pain.
I installed an VSR, so my starting battery gets charged first and only when it's topped off does the VSR close and allow a charge to hit my house battery. As soon as the starting battery drops below a certain level, the VSR opens and charges only the starting battery again. That way I know I'll always be ok to start the boat. Then every few trips I take the house battery home and charge it. If I make long trips to DC or Fairview Beach, some times the house gets fully recharged and I don't need to take it home. My fish finder has a voltage display option and it's hooked up to the house battery, so I can monitor the charge on the house battery that way. I don't worry much about the starter battery because all it does is start the engines and is always getting a charge from them whenever they are running.
Whenever I'm at Lake Anna (I have access to power there) or have the boat home to do some work on it, I hook the charger up to the starter battery. Once it's topped off, the VSR closes the circuit and the charger will begin topping off the house battery too. The VSR actually puts the batteries in parallel, so the house battery will begin to pull charge from the higher voltage in the starter battery. Once the starter hits the cutoff voltage for the VSR , the VSR will open again until the start battery is full and that cycle goes on until the house battery and the starter battery are equally charged to full capacity.
ACR - automatic charge relay (I think) and VSR - voltage sensitive relay....basically the same thing. Here's the one I have....
http://bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-8/product-729/716-sq-140a-dvsr-single-engine-two-battery-banks

716-SQ-140A-DVSR - SINGLE ENGINE, TWO BATTERY BANKS
SKU:716-SQ-140A-DVSR

Product Details:
An ideal replacement for a Battery Selector Switch. Just remove selector switch and connect existing wires to a 716 cluster, no extra wires are required for a fully automatic battery management system.
No more flat start batteries.
Electronics protection from harmful engine start spikes.
The 716 cluster is for use on charging systems up to 150A.
To be used in the following systems:
1. Single outboard dual battery bank.
2. Single alternator inboard engine dual battery bank.
The 716 cluster replaces battery isolator systems.

Dimensions:
138L X 138W x 75H mm
5.4L X 5.4W x 3H inches

Wiring diagram
http://bepmarine.com/media/product/pro5099b7f0805d2.pdf

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Marine Boat Battery Chargers : Which Type Do You Need?

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Battery Switch ACR

wakeformer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the battery switch ACR in essence will charge your 2 batteries when the engine is on of the boats alternator / stator ?

Did I watch that video right. If so that's what I want. Or am I wrong and I need to buy a on board charger to charge the house battery every time I get off the water.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Norboo Your biggest challenge is to determine how you intend to get a power to the charger at the boatel. Since you do not have a modified stereo yet, you don't need to consider modifying your dual bank battery system yet. Even with the possibility of an upgraded stereo, most would find two batteries sufficient for a 700-800 watt amplified stereo system. Beyond that, the time on the water with music playing and at what level will determine power supply needs.

I like the Blue Sea kit @Julian mentions, because it is by far more user friendly and simple than the 4 switch kit Yamaha uses. And understanding it is half the battle. The main reason I like this kit, is being able to set it up to use a single bank or a dual bank charger. And to actually use both batteries for your music needs during the day. When you finally do drop anchor and play music, your start battery is isolated and reserved for engine start duty, and I you use all the capacity if the stereo battery at that point, you will know it is time to go in...and if and when that happens, you can consider a third battery.

I like the K I S S principal. Keep it simple. I have wiring diagrams for the laymen at home I will be happy to share.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Norboo If I understand correctly, you want to remove 2 batteries and take them home to charge. If I have that correct, I would purchase an Pro Mariner charger for two banks/batteries. You can use this in your garage just like it was on your boat and if you ever decide to install it on your boat -- you can! These chargers will float and maintain your batteries with no fuss. They have selectors for what kind of batteries you get. I would find an AGM group 24 or 27 -- 24 if you are pulling them out a lot because they are a little lighter than the 27's.

Search for a ProSport12 or ProSport20 by ProMariner

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Over the weekend, I took my boat out of storage and had them set it up on lefts.
I bought a simple charger and charged my batteries while the boat was out. Left it charging all day. I would like both options to be able to charge at the marina (only way is to get the boat out on the lifts. see pic below) and at home. Since I bought a simple charger for home, that part is done. I know how we all lover pictures…

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Basically, for my purpose, simplest solution is to get:

e-Series Dual Circuit Plus™ Battery Switch (PN 5511e)
http://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/featured

SI-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12/24V DC 120A (PN 7610)
http://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

Guest 2611A Charge Pro Series Marine Battery Charger (12/24-Volt, 10-Amps 5/5, Double Output)
http://www.amazon.com/Guest-2611A-Battery-Charger-24-Volt/dp/B000NHZV1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395685547&sr=8-1&keywords=guest+marine+battery+charger

Or
ProMariner 20 - amp ProSport Gen 2 Battery Charger (2 - bank; 12/24V)

http://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-20-ProSport-Battery-Charger/dp/B001BSTG3M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395685600&sr=8-3&keywords=promariner

Hook it up this way:

It will top off both batteries without switching back and forth. When I get on the boat, I turn the battery switch to on and when I get off the boat, I turn the switch to off I’m set? Sounds simple enough.

Also, find a battery(s) AMG group 24 or 27 if needed.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nope...that won't work with the dual charger. You want the load side, connected to the posts where the accessories and engines connect. Then tge ACR will only allow them to combine when engines are running and the engine charging system places an appropriate charge on the start battery. If you wire like blue seas diagram, then both batteries are combined (paralleled) not only by engine charging but by a shore charger. It is better to have independent chargers on each battery, or a bad battery can't be isolated and you get no warning of a pending battery issue, until it lets you down.

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:banghead:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, Norboo .... I did try to PM you an answer. You do NOT NEED a "switch." You already own one. And a good one.
It came with your boat from the Factory.
All you need is to purchase the correct on-board charger, hook it up regularly - To both keep your batteries charged and to properly maintain your batteries.
Eaz-y pez-y.
Good Luck, Mike Lulejian

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, Norboo .... I did try to PM you an answer. You do NOT NEED a "switch." You already own one. And a good one.
It came with your boat from the Factory.
All you need is to purchase the correct on-board charger, hook it up regularly - To both keep your batteries charged and to properly maintain your batteries.
Eaz-y pez-y.
Good Luck, Mike Lulejian
Thanks for taking the time out to talk to me. I appreciate all your input and your great ideas.

Mike suggested adding a MinnKota MK 220D On-Board Battery Charger (2 Banks, 10 Amps Per Bank) system. Use a polyethylene cutting board to mount to the charger, use velcro under the cutting board to hold it all in place.

http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-On-Board-Battery-Charger-Banks/dp/B0042TAO10

Last edited:

Norboo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you use and ACR or VSR you only need to take the house battery home to charge or to charge just the one battery while on the racks.

I have two amps totaling 1000 watts (one is digital and the other is an old fashioned amp) and have never had an issue running out of battery power over the course of a day. I did just buy two new batteries today. I got a Group 24 for the starter (isolated) battery.....the one that will always get a charge, so it doesn't need to be all that heavy duty. For the house battery I chose to go with a group 27 deep cycle. I could go bigger, but it's a trade off of portability (getting it home on occasion) and run time. Using the ACR/VSR, that's the battery that will get a charge when the house battery is full and the circuit combines the two batteries.

If I ever ran into issues where the house battery was running out, I'd still keep my system and just wire up a third battery in parallel to the house battery. So nothing in the system would change other than my house battery (really two batteries now) just has a longer reserve capacity.