• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Keeps Dying

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
No easy way to put it other than WTF. I’m sitting here on my dock trying to rack my brain and doesn’t my brothers boat automatically start to bilge itself which tells me that there battery is on.
If I turn my switch to off it completely kills everything in the boat. What’s annoying is everytime go for boat ride I have to lift up the seat and turn dial to off. Now I only have two options. On and Off. If I leave the switch on and turn the ignition off, key in my pocket, things remain on. Like my Bluetooth stays on, if I flick the blower switch it turns on. Something is drawing the battery to point of going dead.
Any thoughts fellas as to what might be or is this it. Go for ride and when done turn the dial to off.
Thanks…
Sorry for my bad grammar, Glare on my phone from sun and no reading glasses. Tough life I know boys. Lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well, with the master switch ON, your various devices SHOULD indeed work. The bilge pump, IF wired "normally" is supposed to be connected directly to the battery regardless of the master switch. The idea being that you'd rather have a dead battery than a sunken boat.

So having the bilge turn on while the master switch is off IS normal. Are you taking on water and the bilge is running and hence killing your battery?

If it's something else drawing power, you'll need to figure out what. Not always easy to figure that out without monitoring current on various circuits. Another, slower option, is to pull one fuse at a time of any suspicious device on board. Then monitor the battery.

Obviously killing the battery over and over isn't good for the battery.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Is your boat sitting in the water? With the switch off? Does that disable the bilge pump?
No my boat is sitting high and dry in a lift. Our lake the water drops pretty fast to feed the Trent Severn. My only concern is the down pour of water we have gotten. The bow of my boat seems to collect water like a hot tub lol.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Well, with the master switch ON, your various devices SHOULD indeed work. The bilge pump, IF wired "normally" is supposed to be connected directly to the battery regardless of the master switch. The idea being that you'd rather have a dead battery than a sunken boat.

So having the bilge turn on while the master switch is off IS normal. Are you taking on water and the bilge is running and hence killing your battery?

If it's something else drawing power, you'll need to figure out what. Not always easy to figure that out without monitoring current on various circuits. Another, slower option, is to pull one fuse at a time of any suspicious device on board. Then monitor the battery.

Obviously killing the battery over and over isn't good for the battery.
Ya it’s just one of those things I would like to know and fig out. Other boats I have had they had a reserve switch that would only draw from the pump. That boat floated. This boat sitting out of water. I guess in the end it’s a first world prob and I just get annoyed lifting seat to turn on the switch. Lol.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Oh, definitely worth investigating. It shouldn't be draining your battery. Something is up. Mine sits in the water for weeks at a time without anybody there. Doesn't drain my battery at all.

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I have found that with my battery switch set to "1" ( i have dual battery setup with dvsr so i have "1" and "combined") I can turn on the radio from the back swim platform area without the key in the accessory position. I like this because I can keep the screen off while at the sandbar and save unnecessary wear and tear.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Ya I only have one battery but was thinking I would of gotten two with this boat. So many bells and whistles one seems little weak. When I take in for service I will ask them at the shop. I’m sure I will get the run around answers. Fingers crossed can fig it out.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Your bilge pump should be wired to work with the master switch to off as a safety. If the bilge fills with water while it's stored it will kill your battery.

You can bypass this (I dont recommend) behind the battery switch. Just relocate the positive for the bilge with the rest of the electrical wires. Or, just install a nice solar trickle charger.