• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Question

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ScottyOK I am thinking that this post by Julian explains how your configuration works. Hopefully it is the same in my boat and will work the same way. So just leave it in the on position and when you are stopped at anchor the draw is only from the house battery, leaving the starting battery alone. Seems reasonable and hopefully this is how it works. Would you be safe anchored up for 4 or 5 hours listening to music? So then my only question then is.... When do you use the "Combine" setting? Would it be a backup in case the starting battery has gone bad? Any thoughts? @Julian ??
Yes, the combine setting is used for when one or the other batteries is low and you need to combine both banks to one battery....typically if the starter battery has run down for some reason and you need the house battery charge to start the engine(s).

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I don't remember which position it was in, but will likely keep it in the "ON" for most of the time, then switch over to the "COMBINE" if I ever have a need for extra starting power.
I was just trying to figure this out this weekend. So it seems like this is the consensus? Turn the switch to ON and keep it there all day no matter the activities. Then if I need extra power to get the engines started, switch to COMBINE BATTERIES? Just the fact that the second position is in yellow and has a CAUTION symbol says to me that is not where I should operate all the time.

Oh, and this...

I've said it a thousand times, and I'm saying it again..."THE OWNER'S MANUAL IS GARBAGE!!!!!!!"

Bret

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So 2430 VRX is neither - it has a On switch & Emergency switch that will draw power from both batteries - the voltage regulator will automatically charge the lowest battery after start up. Cannot switch back & forth while engines are running btw - only to be used if you're #1 batter is dead. Sorry I don't have a pic to share at the moment but once I get my boat back this weekend I'll make a point to take a pic to share.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thread revival...I need to replace my batteries and am wondering there is a benefit to upgrade/change the style of batteries. I have the same battery switch (Off, On, Combine) and DVSR mentioned above. Do we have a start and house battery or do they both get used equally?

I can't find much information in the manuals, but the Rotax service manual lists a 12V group 24 marine starting battery in the technical specifications. I read discussions about a deep cycle or bigger group for the house, but not sure if that would be better in my situation. I honestly have not had any problems during the life of the batteries, so I am inclined to stick with what was installed for simplicity.