• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Beginner Skis Help

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Team,

I need help. I'm looking to purchase some skis for this summer. I don't much at this point about skis as I've never owned them. I would like to purchase a set that can be used for many adults, male/female. I'm 6 foot 1 and my wife 5 foot 2. I'm in the 170ish and she in the 135ish.

Can anyone recommend a set of skis that would be for beginners of this height/weight? Can I accomplish with just 1 set or need multiple sets? Any help/advice is appreciated.

I don't need anything fancy and would like to be cost efficient, meaning, I don't need cadillac/lexus skis but the camry will work just fine.

Thanks!

Ed

skips the skis...get a wakesurf board....so much more fun and easier on the body. @Edward

get a liquid force fish...super easy to surf on

Get skis that are wide and have a concave bottom. Your biggest issue is going to be shoe sizes. My 19 year old daughter has to use smaller skis because her feet are too small for the adult skis. And yes get surfing...we surf way more than we ski anymore!

@Stefan Fromm @bobbie

Yes, I really do want to get into surfing...however, new boat came this year so I need to keep the spending down, so ballast/wake wedge/and surf boards are in next years capex. :)

Capex is capped this year...Opex is limited to skis/wakeboarding for this year. :)

Besides...I'm need/want to enjoy the time to plan out the plumbing/design of ballast for next years upgrade. If I go too fast I'll miss out on the fun of putting it together!! :)

Thanks!

Ed

@Edward To keep some costs down, look for year-end closeouts on gear...i bought a 2014 slingshot t-red demo board for $199 vs. $450 for a 2015 brand new one.

Last edited:
I'd just head out to a local sporting goods store and check out their skis. See if you can find one pair that will fit both you and your wife. Then if their price is out of line, shop them online and see if the big box you are at will match their price....most will.

Something like these would be fine...

http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/pro...p=4406646.4413993.19248926&categoryId=4417971

The only other option you might want to consider is a wider body beginning ski set, but not sure how skilled you are. If ou are a beginner and have never tried it, you might consider this. But you will find them less fun once you learn how to ski.

Tip for learning....blow up a tube, have the skier sit on it with skis in the water and then take off. This will get them up easier and learn the balance part. Then move onto water starts. Obviously you have to do this somewhere where you are ok with leaving the tube behind for a while. You can also put a mushroom anchor on the tube so it doesnt blow away.

@Julian, thanks for the info.

Side question, which I hadn't even thought about, what length should I be setting at for Skiing? I don't remember what length I had my rope for wakeboarding but I think it was like 65 feet...for wakeboarding behind these boats should that be about the same? I haven't boarded yet behind the boat but hoping to here in the next week now that our weather has calmed down a bit.

As always, thanks for the tips.

Ed

We have added 10 or 15 feet to our ski rope to get the skier a little farther back our of the jet wash. It make the ride a little more comfortable. That means we bought two ropes, one with sections you can remove.

Call the guys at water skis.com. It's a physical shop somewhere in MN I think but they had some good advice for us. Ended up with a reasonable set of HO skis that are good for beginners but not those super wide skis that I have seen lately

Be careful about buying a ski with a plastic fin. If you do, make very sure it is strong. I personally prefer ones with strong metal fins and they are 1) much harder to break, and 2) do not flex at all while skiing. A wobbly fin(bendy) will make for a wobbly ride.

I'm not certain the ones I linked to above have metal fins! Be sure you check/ask!

We use O'Brien Pro Performer combo skis.

The combo ski sets are perfect for beginners and a good all around family ski. I am 6 ft, 195 lbs and my wife is 5'4", 120 lbs. Don't get hung up on wide body, fin types, bottom shape or any of that. Just get a decent combo set. We have had one for 25 years and still using it. My wife and I both still slalom on it and we use the combo set to teach newbies.

Now... when I get smooth water and want to really tear up the water. I have another slalom ski with all the goodies. The cheapie can;t hold a candle to it with how the good one cuts, throws a wall of spray and allows me to have a lot of fun. But that's for when you get better and start buying skiis tailored for each rider, and that's another story.

Don;t get hung up on details just go buy one of the name brand combos and let the fun begin!!!!

As far as your rope question, all ski ropes are the same length at 75 ft. They may have sections to remove for running the buoys. Tubing is 60 ft but some like the longer length because of jet spray.

Back