• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Boat GPS

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know of a good GPS for boating?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Does anyone know of a good GPS for boating?
Very much a loaded question with many opinions. I like and own Garmin. Always have. Simrad is my only other choice but they can be pricey. I'm getting ready to sell my echoMAP CHIRP 44cv if you're interested.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah hard to answer that question, I know of good GPS’s for boating that cost more than your and my boat combined, and I know of halfway decent ones for about $200. Too many options, if you limit with a budget number or size, that would be helpful.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Think of the features that you most likely want to use. And then think of how best to move from feature to feature. Then start formulating a budget. As stated above, you can spend as much as you can squeeze out of your wallet.

Many have had great luck using free nav apps on a spare iPad that the kids won't use anymore. Others will buy the least expensive LCD/Graph/GPS from the sporting good stores or Walmart. And be very happy with it, as it shows where they are, and how to get home safely while chirping when the fish are below the boat.

We were fortunate enough to acquire our boat with a Simrad G07 installed and I am always amazed at how many features are on it that I will never use. But it is cool tech with no exposed buttons. It has nearly infinite number of ways to configure the screen to show bottom, depth, speed, water temp, map, side scan etc. But honestly, I have a split screen setup with the map of the lake and graph of the bottom. With big numbers showing my speed and surface temp.

This allows me to monitor the maps for obstacles and also the trend of the bottom depth. Like if we are coming up shallow fast or slow. On a familiar lake, none of it is life or death. When exploring a new body of water, it as fantastic.

In the springtime like now, surface temp is huge. We can vary anywhere from 60-73 degrees depending on inlets and springs. I like to warn my guests before they jump in.

For help here, start with a budget, and then many will chime in with what they were able to purchase for that given budget. Then you can ask what they like or wish they had gotten. It will help narrow it down. Fathers day sales are in full swing, so take advantage!!

Good luck!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I love my Navionics app, but I beat exclusively on Lake Texoma.
Yeah, for my needs, only boating in Lake Lanier, Navionics is all that I ever need. Boat has actual depth and water temp sensors as well so that covers the gaps in navionics. And I don't fish.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a very simple Raymarine Dragonfly (5?) that came preloaded with Navionics+.
The advantages of a real chartplotter are many, those can be viewed in any conditions, don't overheat, don't die of losing charge, and stay in place if mounted correctly.

Navionics nrecently was forced to consolidate for mobile systems compatibility and now they sell just about one app for Boating. It is $14 or so for a year subscription and it is AMAZING.
Includes everything and "sonar maps" with water level adjust-ability, etc., nothing can really compete or come even remotely close for the price.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought a Garmin Echomap 94SV. This is an $1100 unit (MSRP). I wanted touch screen, big display and a deep fish finder (1800 foot rating...probably 1000 foot actual). It will also sync to my radio for DSC which is good on the open ocean. You may not need or want all of that!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll agree with @swatski on the Navionics app. I bought a Samsung android tablet and use it with a Raymarine WiFish for depth and water temp. Works better than any chart plotter I’ve ever used, and has features like weather and tides if hooked in to the internet. Pretty damn amazing.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Simrad gets my vote, and if you keep your eyes peeled you can often find a good deal. I have a GO7 on my boat with the standard transducer.

I just bought a Garmin Echomap 94SV. This is an $1100 unit (MSRP). I wanted touch screen, big display and a deep fish finder (1800 foot rating...probably 1000 foot actual). It will also sync to my radio for DSC which is good on the open ocean. You may not need or want all of that!
That's a big fella! Please share photos once you have it mounted, curious to see it.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I should have clarified myself I'm looking more into a phone app if there is such a thing?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
See Swatski's post about the 'Boating' app by Navionics/Garmin. Best you'll find and well worth the trivial cost.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I guess I should have clarified myself I'm looking more into a phone app if there is such a thing?
Then absolutely Navionics

Screenshot_20190613-210825.png

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it the “Boating Marine and Lakes” by Navionics? The recent reviews on that are 1 ⭐ after 1 ⭐. Is it just the old users who can’t transfer data, or does the current version suck that bad?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See Swatski's post about the 'Boating' app by Navionics/Garmin. Best you'll find and well worth the trivial cost.
It's called boating HD now.

That’s the one. It looks like all the really negative stuff is from people who had older versions and couldn’t transfer to the new platform. I guess if I’m coming in fresh it should be fine. Thanks!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Boating HD on my phone when on my Waverunner. Works great

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I read the poor reviews also, most of them were iOS users. That is why I chose an Android tablet to use on the boat. In addition, most cheap Android tablets have gps built in, whereas iPads must be cellular for built in WiFi.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it the “Boating Marine and Lakes” by Navionics? The recent reviews on that are 1 ⭐ after 1 ⭐. Is it just the old users who can’t transfer data, or does the current version suck that bad?
No worries about the reviews, people feel cheated as some paid hundreds and for individual parts of the package, now you can have it all for $14, it's crazy.
The Nav got screwed as well though, as the iOS compatibility issues on iphone and ipad made them scramble.

The Nav Boating Marine and Lakes is the only one not discontinued. It is the best Nav program out there for the public use, hands down.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read the poor reviews also, most of them were iOS users. That is why I chose an Android tablet to use on the boat. In addition, most cheap Android tablets have gps built in, whereas iPads must be cellular for built in WiFi.
The trick with iOS anything is to preload the maps in WiFi environment, then the only thing you need is the built in GPS, the device can be in airplane mode or with wifi and cellular data and all OFF. It still works great. As logn as you download and make sure it's all working in Wifi.

I am so impressed with that app. Just came back from Lake Powell which is a navigational challenge for the best of us, and the new Nav worked great. I was able to adjust the water level daily and the accuracy of the bottom maps (sonar map) is laser sharp, very impressive.

--