• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best Boat GPS

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Agreed, I’ve been very impressed with the app, and integrating it with the Raymarine app I get real time sonar scrolling across the bottom, as well as sonarcharting live on my maps with current depths. If there was a way to integrate it with a built in plotter I’d say there’s no better system out there. I still don’t think this tablet will ever be an issue even on the gulf. It’s got a life proof case, waterproof and mounted in a RAM mount I don’t see the difference between that and an all touch screen Simrad, aside from the instance where it became actually submerged. And if it does fail, I’ll pull it up on my phone and use it there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed, I’ve been very impressed with the app, and integrating it with the Raymarine app I get real time sonar scrolling across the bottom, as well as sonarcharting live on my maps with current depths. If there was a way to integrate it with a built in plotter I’d say there’s no better system out there. I still don’t think this tablet will ever be an issue even on the gulf. It’s got a life proof case, waterproof and mounted in a RAM mount I don’t see the difference between that and an all touch screen Simrad, aside from the instance where it became actually submerged. And if it does fail, I’ll pull it up on my phone and use it there.
My only concern with iphones and ipads and such (no experience with android system in that capacity) is that they tend to overheat is not protected from the sun, and they can be difficult to keep charged even plugged into the charger while using! - my iphone will gradually loose charge (very slowly) even when plugged into the dash UBS charger if used as a chartplotter for tracking in a fast changing environment. That just makes me uncomfortable to use it as a primary, but it's been great as an auxlliary and for tracking, also nice to have more than one display with different level of detail/scales.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Simrad gets my vote, and if you keep your eyes peeled you can often find a good deal. I have a GO7 on my boat with the standard transducer.

That's a big fella! Please share photos once you have it mounted, curious to see it.
Still working on the placement of it....yes it is big! Once I have it finalized I'll probably post more photos in my 242X thread. (also linked in my signature)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Still working on the placement of it....yes it is big! Once I have it finalized I'll probably post more photos in my 242X thread. (also linked in my signature)
Looks good, I like what you did with the starboard mount, looks like what @Neutron did with his. Wonder if you can rotate it around another 60-70 degrees, would look good and not interfere with your interaction with connext. I like those units.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My only concern with iphones and ipads and such (no experience with android system in that capacity) is that they tend to overheat is not protected from the sun, and they can be difficult to keep charged even plugged into the charger while using! - my iphone will gradually loose charge (very slowly) even when plugged into the dash UBS charger if used as a chartplotter for tracking in a fast changing environment. That just makes me uncomfortable to use it as a primary, but it's been great as an auxlliary and for tracking, also nice to have more than one display with different level of detail/scales.

--
I had the same concern, but after installing a 3.1 amp (I think) USB, and Samsung having the fast charge capacity, I ran the tablet 8-9 hours in 90 degree heat, with a pop up t-storm thrown in for good measure, tablet started the day at 80%, ended at 100%. Now, bear in mind it’s under a t-top in the shade all day, and behind a curved windshield which I believe keeps it well protected. But to be honest between that, my iPhone backup, and a mechanical compass built in I would have no problem running this thing in the ocean. If I get some more hours in possibly even for a Bimini crossing dare I say? I’d also mention that this tablet has been cleared of a ton of bloatware and it’s sole function is for the boat. I literally have no other software or apps loaded aside from what it needs to run (and what Samsung won’t let me delete).

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had the same concern, but after installing a 3.1 amp (I think) USB, and Samsung having the fast charge capacity, I ran the tablet 8-9 hours in 90 degree heat, with a pop up t-storm thrown in for good measure, tablet started the day at 80%, ended at 100%. Now, bear in mind it’s under a t-top in the shade all day, and behind a curved windshield which I believe keeps it well protected. But to be honest between that, my iPhone backup, and a mechanical compass built in I would have no problem running this thing in the ocean. If I get some more hours in possibly even for a Bimini crossing dare I say? I’d also mention that this tablet has been cleared of a ton of bloatware and it’s sole function is for the boat. I literally have no other software or apps loaded aside from what it needs to run (and what Samsung won’t let me delete).
I wish I was brave enough to install high power USB.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought a ram mount that clamps to the windshield support pole. I had an older Samsung tablet with cellular. For now I use my iPhone hotspot until I decide to pay for cellular for the tablet. Battery life is ok with both running. However I would like to install USB ports on starboard side of boat I order to ensure I don’t end up without any navigation. The ram mount was $25.00 better than having to drill holes.

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length