• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini pole LOST...and whats that noise!?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we took the boat to Table Rock lake this weekend and had a blast minus a couple things. First, we put the boat in the lake and then stated off to our favorite spot. Boat ran great and it was beautiful out. We got to the cove and found a good place to tie to an old tree we have used before. After tying up I went to put the bimini up since it seemed much more sunny once we got to the cove than it was at the ramp. Needless to say the front pole that extends from the bimini frame to the front of the tower dropped out and in to the water. WOW those things sink quick! Even worse news is I just ordered the replacement..150 dollars for all the parts from yamaha sports plaza...ewwww Not happy about that. Now I am going to make a rule to only set the bimini up at the ramp where it can't be lost forever.

After I proceeded to fume about losing the pole I realized we needed to move a bit. I fired the engines up and noticed this real weird rattle\vibration. I immediately shut the engines off and started to inspect everything I could think of. I couldn't find anything wrong so I fired up one engine at a time and listened very closely. I still heard the odd vibration noise. We untied from the stump and proceeded to go up the cove to see if I could isolate what the noise was. Let me be clear it is not the standard rattle we often hear with these. It also doesn't seem to be an issue at higher than idle speeds. I finally got over the noise since I received no warnings and at cruise speed the noise wasn't there. I monitored the engines and pumps over the next two days and didn't see anything but the noise is still there. Next time we are out I will try and record the noise since a vibration is hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. If anyone has ideas I am open to any ideas. Clearly not impacting performance of the boat but man it is annoying at idle.

Other than this had a great weekend and the lake was just awesome!

I suspect you sucked up a small item and it's lodged. A small twig even fishing line can cause vibration. I would crawl under the boat and look up through the grates with a flash light.

Or pull the clean out plugs and feel around and put the throttles in forward with the engines off and look in from behind to see if something might be lodged behind the impellers.

Its your bimini pole! Just kidding. I was thinking if you had a dive mask, maybe you could have dove for your lost pole if it wasn't too deep. You said you were tying up. I wouldn't be smart enough to carry a mask, but maybe I will now. My lake is about 10-15' in most spots. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I keep a mask on board..since day one..just such an emergency..

@Noko I actually thought about that and am very capable of diving at 20 feet or so but the depth of the Guage was 38ft. No thanks! Lol

I did pull the plugs and felt around as far as possible and didn't feel anything. When I pulled the boat out I looked in the pumps and don't see any issues or even any nicks on the impellars.

Lspeedss, you are smarter than I am.:) But I'll think I,ll be getting a mask and some fins now.

We keep a mask on board...but 38' would only be possible if the water was crystal clear!

My guess is something really small like fishing line wound around the shaft....

Lost my bimini pole last labor day. Carver boat covers made me one in about 15 min. They actually gave it to me when I took the other side in and asked if the had anything like this. This year we put up the top on land and put it down on land. The sink pretty fast and aren't magnetic so you can't find it with a magnet. Any body loses one I might can get them to make one up and ship it to you. They are a small company and can do custom stuff . And I know it wouldn't be 150 for that lost piece. I did their security cameras so that's my relationship with the company.

Yep, 38' is a little deep. But if there was a lost cold six pack of Harp down there, I could do 20', not 38', unless it was a full keg!:)

@Julian Your comment about the fishing line as an obstruction made me think of the OP's problem. What if attaching some fishing line to the bimini pole would prevent it from being lost?

When its folded the front supports are not fastened at the bottom. I have thought of epoxing a elastic cord inside the pole to keep it from accidently losing it.

If the vibration goes away at higher rpms it is 99% not the pumps...they get worse with rpms. Vibration at idle is more likely bad plugs or gas.

Sounds like we need to come up with a noodle mod. Back to your ratteling @CDENsomnia . I'm thinking a bearing behind the cone on the noisy impeller. Pull the cone to see if there is water in there. You could have a bearing going bad as did @Murf'n'surf

Was just thinking that. I'm sure sticking the pole through a noodle would solve this issue instantly.

@Gym I haven't pulled the cone since that requires a little more time and effort. I am going to check the new spark plugs that I installed prior to the trip and see what they look like. Maybe you are right it was just bad gas...these days you just never know what quality of fuel you are getting. Only thing in that subject would be only one engine was making this rattling noise. I am thinking that probably proves not a fuel issue.

Am I correct to pull the cone you have to basically pull the pump?

Lost my bimini pole last labor day. Carver boat covers made me one in about 15 min. They actually gave it to me when I took the other side in and asked if the had anything like this. This year we put up the top on land and put it down on land. The sink pretty fast and aren't magnetic so you can't find it with a magnet. Any body loses one I might can get them to make one up and ship it to you. They are a small company and can do custom stuff . And I know it wouldn't be 150 for that lost piece. I did their security cameras so that's my relationship with the company.
Wow any idea what they charged? I am going to make a rule to only set the bimini up on land but it might be worth having a couple extras. I wish I would have read this before I bought the factory replacement for $150 from yamaha sports plaza.

@Gym I haven't pulled the cone since that requires a little more time and effort. I am going to check the new spark plugs that I installed prior to the trip and see what they look like. Maybe you are right it was just bad gas...these days you just never know what quality of fuel you are getting. Only thing in that subject would be only one engine was making this rattling noise. I am thinking that probably proves not a fuel issue.

Am I correct to pull the cone you have to basically pull the pump?
Your assumption about the fuel is correct. Both engines would have the same issue. To pull the pump is actually pretty easy. There is a gread video on @Julian's list that makes it real simple. It only takes about 15-20 minutes per pump. I would start with the noisy pump. You might as well do both though to head off any possible future issues. Here ya go.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/yamaha-jet-pump-disassembly-from-grant-browne-youtube.446/

My bimini doesn't require assembly so I've never thought about making the parts float, but someone with this bimini should consider trying the expanding foam floatation method.

Squirt some expanding foam into the pole (avoiding any holes or buttons) and see if they float. If they are inside poles (poles that slide INTO another) and you can close both ends, that alone should trap enough air to make it float.

Back