• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

black tape trimming the gelcoat

Eric195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
around the black on the body of the boat there is thin black tape almost like electrical tape trimming the gelcoat. while pulling up the anchor a few times i rubbed it off in some places. I've been wondering is this on all Scarabs or did the dealer do this to make it look better at the time of sale? If it is on all of them what do i fix it with electrical tape?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
around the black on the body of the boat there is thin black tape almost like electrical tape trimming the gelcoat. while pulling up the anchor a few times i rubbed it off in some places. I've been wondering is this on all Scarabs or did the dealer do this to make it look better at the time of sale? If it is on all of them what do i fix it with electrical tape?
Can you post a photo...hard to imagine what you are describing...

Eric195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hopefully get it back from the shop today and i'll snap some pictures.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure why they put it on, but I didn't like it, and I pulled it off from day one.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are they running this tape to cover the seam between two colors?

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I thought it was on there to clean up the line between the two colors but I haven't seen what it is like under.

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
When I picked my 165 HOI up last Friday , that black pin stripe was torn a lil bit . The dealer cut a 12" section off and replace it with what they had in the service center. I do not think its electoral tape

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My striping is coming off where the roller for the winch hits the bow. I took an exact o knife and trimmed it. I had a little black over spray, but it looks better than chewed up tape...

Last edited:

Robert Stempien

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
When I picked my 165 HOI up last Friday , that black pin stripe was torn a lil bit . The dealer cut a 12" section off and replace it with what they had in the service center. I do not think its electoral tape
Do you happen to know the width of the black pin stripe on your scarab? I have a 2014 scarab 195 HO but it is at our vacation home which we cannot travel to due to the travel band in Michigan. I would like to order the pin strip now but don't have the exact width. Thanks in advance!

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Lazyness....to hide imperfections. I hate it.

Scarabscott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
It is 1/2 inch 3m marine pinstripe. I just replaced mine. Yes it is to transition the black to white on my 2019 195

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Where you find it? I cant find any that specifies marine? Either on ebay or amazon.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Ok....so it's not really a marine tape, but as long as its 3M will stick! Lol...thanks