• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blocked Impeller

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a chunk of wood stuck in my impeller. I can feel it and its in a decent position to knock it out. A screwdriver or pliers are not working. any suggestion on the best tool to clear debris from the impeller?

Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I second what @Julian says. You don't have to fiddle with something very long before you spend more time than it takes to pull the pump.

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
its difficult frog me to pull the boat out of the water. Its in a slip for the season. I ended up buying some mini prybars. was able to loosen the wood enough to release. thanks for the advice. I will explore pulling the pump if needed in the future

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Simplest thing is to just pull the pump. Its something every owner should know how to do. Its 5 bolts and one quick release. Videos linked in the FAQ.
My last boat was an IO that I owned for over 20 years. I've got 15hrs of jet boat experience. The guy that taught me the ropes about boating 20 years ago told me to try taking off and putting back on your prop on dry land. Make sure you have a spare prop and the tools to change the prop on board if you're going to boat any distance, boating at night, or in salt water. I was told that this was something that I needed to be prepared to do while the boat was in the water. So practice on dry land. In 20 years I only had to change a prop in the water once (Arthur's Kill, NY/NJ in October). But I'm glad that I had done it multiple times on dry land. Props rarely get damaged on the trailer except at the ramp.

If something gets jammed in the pump and pulling the boat out of the water or a tow isn't an option, what should be done?

Tom

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My last boat was an IO that I owned for over 20 years. I've got 15hrs of jet boat experience. The guy that taught me the ropes about boating 20 years ago told me to try taking off and putting back on your prop on dry land. Make sure you have a spare prop and the tools to change the prop on board if you're going to boat any distance, boating at night, or in salt water. I was told that this was something that I needed to be prepared to do while the boat was in the water. So practice on dry land. In 20 years I only had to change a prop in the water once (Arthur's Kill, NY/NJ in October). But I'm glad that I had done it multiple times on dry land. Props rarely get damaged on the trailer except at the ramp.

If something gets jammed in the pump and pulling the boat out of the water or a tow isn't an option, what should be done?

Tom
The only thing you can do is whittle the obstruction down with a knife. I keep hook blades in my toolkit for just this reason. Easier and safer to pull towards you when whittling....but they are fantastic for rope cutting.

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my last boat the oil filter was hard to get at. I couldn't reach it and see it at the same time.I now own 5 or 6 different tools for removing oil filters. It looks like with these boats, the more things ya have for clearing the jet pump the better.

These look interesting:
Hooks
Saw

Thanks for the thoughts,

Tom