• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blower use

How do you use the blower?

• At first startup

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Before every Starup

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Never

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • All the time

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I want to know how often you all use the blower?

Thank you for the answers.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once the engine is running, air volume moves through the engine compartment by virtue of engine operation.

I should use it every time, before starting, and for longer than I do.

I run it maybe 30-45 seconds. Should be 3-5 minutes, but I've been lucky so far, no explossion.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run it for a few minutes before the first start of the day, and if its been sitting for more than a few hours. Supposed to be a full 4 minutes, but I doubt it ever is. Usually turn it on before final preparations to pull out of the slip.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out of habit I always open the engine hatch pre-launch, including the quick start up in the driveway before leaving. I know someone will correct me to do it 'by the book' but I figure I am airing it out way quicker than the blower would.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out of habit I always open the engine hatch pre-launch, including the quick start up in the driveway before leaving. I know someone will correct me to do it 'by the book' but I figure I am airing it out way quicker than the blower would.
Opening the hatch, while gets fresh air in and does help somewhat. The actual problem is that the gas vapors sink to the bottem of the bilge. That is why blower hoses suck from the bottem. Otherwise you would just need exhaust fans without hoses.

I will add that i forget to use my blower often

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I run it for probably 60 to 90 seconds before going out the first time for the day. If we go to the beach for an hour or something I typically don’t run it but for maybe 10 seconds if that but sometimes don’t do it at all. But I’m pretty religious about doing it before the first start up of the day. Also anytime I am putting gas in the boat when I am done the engine hatch goes up and the blower stays on for a solid 3 to 5 minutes before I start the boat up. It’s very important after gassing up.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I run it for probably 60 to 90 seconds before going out the first time for the day. If we go to the beach for an hour or something I typically don’t run it but for maybe 10 seconds if that but sometimes don’t do it at all. But I’m pretty religious about doing it before the first start up of the day. Also anytime I am putting gas in the boat when I am done the engine hatch goes up and the blower stays on for a solid 3 to 5 minutes before I start the boat up. It’s very important after gassing up.
Yup....the only time my fume detector has gone off is after I've fueled up. Clearly a lot of gas fumes collecting in the boat during fueling. Surprised me that enough would make it back into the engine compartment to set off the alarm, I would have expected the majority to remain outside the hull.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Notwithstanding the fueling situation (which is very good info--thanks for that), I was told that the USCG regs regarding blowers were put into place when all boats had carburated engines. With a carburetor, you have fuel directly exposed to the atmosphere and, if you flood the engine, you can very easily get an accumulation of vapor in the engine compartment. Our engines are fuel injected, which means that fuel comes across a pressurized rail and is released into the cylinders by injectors. The air/fuel mix occurs in the cylinder and no fuel is exposed to the air, meaning there is much less risk of vapor in the engine compartment.

Still, when fueling or if there is a leak in the system, you have an explosive risk. So I think I am with most of the rest of the folks in that I run it before each restart, but probably not for as long as I should. But I do run it extra at fueling (the whole time).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run the blowers, religiously, between wake surfing runs. Something about venting the engine bay while sitting with hot engines - that can make restarting hard.
Since I started paying attention and turning the engines off only after they cool off at idle for a while, with the throttle levers in neutral, and blowers ON - never had a problem.

I am very old school, open the hatch all the time and look and sniff. That is the best way by far to detect any issues (that would make me pause).

Not sure what the fuel vapors come from in the engine bay during refuel??? I have not experienced that, would want to investigate!
I always put my hand next to the fuel vent (the shiny object right next to the fuel door/gas cap) to feel for air/fumes exiting while pumping fuel in.

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I run mine for the full preprogrammed cycle before dropping in and firing the engines. I also run the blowers for a minute or two before restarting after sitting/swimming/hanging out, etc...

If we're doing any kind of water sports with lots of stop and go or turning, I run them constantly. Doesn't hurt to run them, better to err on the side of caution.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Some great advice in here

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When we get to the ramp one of my kids hops into the boat and starts turning on the batteries, the amount, and the fan while the others load the boat. So it runs for 10 min just out of routine. I dont use it any more unless we stop for an extended time somewhere.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Part of the pre-launch procedure. Cover comes off, straps come off, plugs go in, blower gets turned on. Might be 10 minutes, might be 3 depending on how fast we get the rest of the boat loaded and people on board.

Same with any time the engine has been off. This includes skier/tuber recovery, any time at anchor, or just drifting/floating. When we decide to head out/move the boat, the blower gets turned on. Might run 2 minutes, might run 10. It's cheap/easy insurance against a problem.

We also leave them running 100% of the time during watersports. Helps keep cooler air in the engine compartment. This might or might not be an issue on this boat, but on the last boat the engine compartment temps would rise into the 150-175 range. The carburated 4cyl would "diesel" or "run on" once it got hot, and then often times vapor lock and refuse to restart for 10-15 minutes. Running the blower kept the compartment on that boat closer to the 110-120deg range when being "run hard" for watersports. Again, this might or might not be an issue on this fancy new fuel injected machine, but it's a habit/procedure that worked before, and doesn't cost anything to continue.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I turn mine on as it is being lowered and while we load and get everyone situated. Some times that's 3 minutes and most time 7 or 8 minutes.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I run mine before starting the boat everytime. Sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 5 minutes, depending on what I am doing. I also run mine any time I am idling off plane.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All the time. Because other than perhaps having to replace a $20 blower motor what’s the downside of having it on?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Noise and line noise in the stereo would be the downsides. Not big ones in light of the risk of blowing up, but there you are.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Noise and line noise in the stereo would be the downsides. Not big ones in light of the risk of blowing up, but there you are.
Want to know how I know your boat doesn’t have twin two strokes?

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I let the system do the normal 5 minute run prior to starting along with popping open the hatch for a quick visual inspection. It normally takes us longer than 5 mins to load everything and then lower the lift into the water so it has zero impact on what we are doing.

Didn't think about running it during water sports but I think that is going to become S.O.P. for me now.

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You should always use the blower the time before the boat would otherwise explode, so that one is enough

Top Bottom