• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Dealer told me Jet Drives are nothing but trouble in Salt Water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open G
Boat Length
Getting ready to get my 2nd Jet Boat, I had one in Pensacola 15 years ago, now looking at the Scarab 195. A friend of a friend who is a boat dealer was talking in general and learned I was about to get a Scarab, but warned me that the impellers and the housing is nothing but problems here along the gulf coast of Florida. I find that odd, since there are thousands of Jet Skis in the area. I find the Scarab and the Rotax with its ride plate eliminates any salt water from being circulated inside the engine (unlike many stern drive boats) and the only thing to flush is the exhaust and hose out. I read a couple threads that suggest salt water use common sense, flush, clean and spray with CRC 6-56 or ACF-50. why the scare tactics from the OutBoard groups?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
maybe because he does not sale jetboats or profit margin is lower on jetboats !!!!!!

if you leave it in the water I can see how it more maintenance, but if it is lifted and you dont boat in seaweed invested waters you should be fine.

Note: a bit biased but I would consider buying a yamaha

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!!

Fear of the unknown I would say. I have no issues as I'm in salt water all the time (like you).

I've had Yamaha and now a Chaparral. I would never go back. Enjoyed my Yami for 3 years. I have had my 223 now for a year. Big difference. Both have pluses and minuses. Search or ask to find out. Good luck!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Depending on the ability and level of competence of the boat owner a jet used properly is far less trouble and requires far less maintenance than a prop. With 67 years on this planet and 53 of those years having boating experience most were props, never owned a jet until I was 49, had my first boat when I was 14 , a 14 foot M F G with a 40 hp. Evenrude stored in a wet slip because I had to ride my bicycle to go use it since I was not old enough to drive a car.
Built, customized and modified many a boat over the years . In any case I had mostly outboards would never consider a I O . would take out my 19 foot with a 140 sea drive on it 16 miles into the Gulf of Mexico 3 times a week when possible with only a compass, a Loran and a marine radio. In any case I have had numerous makes of jets and only buy Yamaha due to very disappointing reliability issues with other brands, currently with 2 1800 N A Yamaha engines in salt water only and currently over760 hours on them with minor reliability issues, I would say the person who told you that may be hearing from a variety of different people with a variety of makes and models. or he has no clue and just attacks jet boats like a lot of the prop boat companies have done for a long time. But it really depends on a lot more than just being a jet boat it depends on who owns it and how they treat it. There are two sides to every coin. I hated my first jet boat and refused to drive it, then I invented & patented steering that changed the game instantly. The lack of steering was the big issue most people had with jet boats of days goner by.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
whoever told ya that is either a) not carrying jets; 2) uninformed; or 3) both. Jets have been used in salt water for years, and like anything if you know the maintenance involved with them, they will last. My recommendation is to go elsewhere and talk to a Scarab dealer.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
20 years on jetboats salt water use . The trailer was the main item for maintenance. Not as many hours as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC but many years trailering and reading about issues that are not that prolific . If you have marginal wrenching ability with this site it makes most issues manageable

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Since Clearwater is in your name. Cycle Springs right in Clearwater sells more jet boats in any dealer in the country I think most people use them right there so there has to be a reason they sell so many. You will be fine I went with a Yamaha to because of reliability. I walked through there yesterday the scarabs absolutely better laid out I believe and also larger that 25 with the drop-down back if it had Yamaha motors in it I would buy it in a second. But looking down the road 10 years from now the Yamaha’s have a great resale value and 90% of the people never have trouble with them. That’s why I have a Toyota 4Runner it is9D116281-B720-4A58-8236-E9DC584B79D8.jpeg is just the most reliable SUV out there for years. Honda power equipment it always starts.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I seem to recall one of the manufacturers updated the materials that were used for the wear rings and coatings on the nozzel components Fits improved salt water reliability. I think that was the 2018+ Yamahas I'd I'm not mistaken...?

I also recall reading somewhere that the Scarab/Chapparal boats were better suited for longer duration wet slipping in salt water. Again I couldn't pinpoint, to the source...?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
?
Yamaha has put new ceramic coating on the 2018 to prevent corrosion from salt water.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
This from a member on FB:

Starting in 2019 all Rotax engines and Drives received an all new Anti Corrosion treatment and the first corrosion warranty on any Jet boat! Not only the reverse bucket but the nozzle, jet pump and all components are now covered under the new corrosion warranty. You are now allowed to keep your boat in the water for up to 7 weeks before having to pull it out! The entire summer season for northern boaters! No more pictures of chalked up drives that electrolysis has had their way with!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This from a member on FB:

Starting in 2019 all Rotax engines and Drives received an all new Anti Corrosion treatment and the first corrosion warranty on any Jet boat! Not only the reverse bucket but the nozzle, jet pump and all components are now covered under the new corrosion warranty. You are now allowed to keep your boat in the water for up to 7 weeks before having to pull it out! The entire summer season for northern boaters! No more pictures of chalked up drives that electrolysis has had their way with!
Yes, that's the exact comment I was thinking. Thanks for looking that up. Now that my memory has been triggered further, I believe that was a comment from Leonard Maraist(?) of New Orleans Powersports, who's a dealer for both brands.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, that's the exact comment I was thinking. Thanks for looking that up. Now that my memory has been triggered further, I believe that was a comment from Leonard Maraist(?) of New Orleans Powersports, who's a dealer for both brands.
That's the guy...

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I seem to recall one of the manufacturers updated the materials that were used for the wear rings and coatings on the nozzel components Fits improved salt water reliability. I think that was the 2018+ Yamahas I'd I'm not mistaken...?

I also recall reading somewhere that the Scarab/Chapparal boats were better suited for longer duration wet slipping in salt water. Again I couldn't pinpoint, to the source...?
I remember reading this thread regarding 2019's. Yamaha made some updates to the pump housing for 2019+. I'm assuming this helps prevent the swell that some folks got in the wear ring if salt water intruded behind it?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remember reading this thread regarding 2019's. Yamaha made some updates to the pump housing for 2019+. I'm assuming this helps prevent the swell that some folks got in the wear ring if salt water intruded behind it?
Yes!... see I knew you guys would come thru and back me up. (It was midnight and I was lazy, lol!)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tons of people use these boats in salt water. There really is no difference....OBs IOs and Jetboats need to be flushed after use in saltwater.

The primary challenge I've had offshore in Florida is the Sargassum weeds. These are tough weeds that do indeed get stuck on the intakes of jet boats. Every year there seems to be more. It isn't hard to clear them - either using the reverse clearing method, or with a Yamaha - using the clean out ports. But it does get annoying when you are in an area with a lot of weeds!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would never consider wet slipping a jet boat, even for a couple weeks. A lift or trailer is 100% necessary.
Until 6 years ago we would wet slip our jet boat(s) all summer in fresh water lakes. Up north it was much less of an issue as very little would grow on the boat. Down south the boat would grow an algae fur on it that caused a ton of drag and lowered the top speed and massively increased the GPH required for a particular speed. So we bought an air dock. But never had any issues from wet slipping (other than the added cleaning and gas costs).

Salt water wet slipping.....something else entirely. 2-3 weeks max in salt water at a time.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Tons of people use these boats in salt water. There really is no difference....OBs IOs and Jetboats need to be flushed after use in saltwater.

The primary challenge I've had offshore in Florida is the Sargassum weeds. These are tough weeds that do indeed get stuck on the intakes of jet boats. Every year there seems to be more. It isn't hard to clear them - either using the reverse clearing method, or with a Yamaha - using the clean out ports. But it does get annoying when you are in an area with a lot of weeds!
Especially during the winter months. Water is just too damn cold. 🥶

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was told the same thing by a boat dealer here in Louisiana. Also, that jet boats couldn't reverse. And numerous other false rumors. I've learned to not listen to a dealer that doesn't sell them because they seem to be uneducated.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me at least, it is now more than annoying. The weed problem does seem to be getting worse and worse every year.

Sargassum seaweed now piling up on Florida beaches becoming a regular 'belt' across Atlantic to Africa

It's no fun navigating when the stuff is everywhere. I really do wish Yamaha or Rotax would come up with a solution. For example, I wonder what would happen if they tried to go back to the finger intake grate design on the earlier mercury powered seadoo jets. Maybe even where the finger tips at the rear are that they could extend them just a bit more aft of the pump intake and just make it a fixed grate, not one that swings up under load. This way as the grate collected grass it would slide to the back and then slide off and be out of the way. The main issue with these grates on the early mercury powered jets was the fingers breaking off and then worse having the bad luck of ingesting and siezing on that finger. If they could just design it stronger?