• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Boat test overview of Chaparral Vortex jetboat

I want to see the video review...I saw this yesterday and the boat doesn't look that bad.

I have been on it. Not sure how well they are going to sell going up against a Yamaha 21 for less money with more room and twin engines. Also a 19 footer is about 10k less and has clean out ports.

Nah, as soon as they start doing twin engines, Yamaha will have a hard time keeping the same sales. Who doesn't want 500 hp?
I know the Scarab is supposed to do it with the 21 footer, but it's also supposed to be over $60k

Yamaha's market research has directed them to hold off on twin supercharged boats due to the perceived disadvantage of supercharger rebuilds and poor fuel economy. Alot of guys will say they want 500 plus HP but when your market demographic is 45-55 years old, they typically opt for dependability and practicality over raw horsepower. When I sold SeaDoo boats, we rarely sold the big horsepower packages. They are fast but did not sell well.

I could be wrong about Chaparral though. They may have a following that is big into HP. It would be a small market at best.

I have heard the "buzz" about chaparral but have not seen one in person. I did see this walkthrough on youtube. However, not owning a jet boat, I have no idea how they compare. Just thought I would post this for those that have not see one in person. I will say that from what I have seen in the video, I am not a big fan of the handle on the swim platform. It seems to me that would be a foot/toe catcher. Again not owning a jet boat I have zero experience and do not have a "dog in this fight!"

It does look like they corrected my biggest problem with the scarab, storage.

Nice Price point!
Chaparral 203 Vortex (2014-) Price
Chaparral 203 Vortex (2014-) Price
Pricing Range$32,995.00 - $40,000.00
Prices, features, designs, and equipment are subject to change. Please see your local dealer or visit the builder's website for the latest information available on this boat model.

I love my Yamaha, but this boat looks pretty darn good. I want to see how it performs.

The boat seems very "short", I think I would feel like a giant inside of it...

That is one sharp looking boat. The fit and finish looks really nice. But I would imagine that the BRP engine needs Premium gas? Also, one of the nicest features that we use every time we board our 21' boat is the bow entry. It's the easiest way to get in the boat while in a slip.

Single engine boats won't do 65. The scarab with two 250's does.
with a single 250 hp engine even their shallower hull design will only go 45-50 tops. I could maybe see one with everything out of it doing 55 at the most if they tinker a bit but the ride will be a bit worse than Yamaha

I remember a crazy sales guy on YouTube that did a comparison with a Yamuha 230 and a 430 hp seadoo 23 footer. They couldn't pull away from each other!
So 110 hp more and not pulling away strong?

Yes they require premium and yes they need the supercharger rebuilding.

No matter how much I HATE the poor design of the clean out plugs and the issues many have had with them (not me), I wouldn't buy a jet boat without a top side access port to clean the pump. Especially a single engine model! Total deal breaker for me. I can't imagine having to pull the boat out of the water in the spring (cold water--so not getting in) when there is typically lots of stuff in the water to pull out a stubborn stick that won't come out with the reverse trick.

Yamaha's market research has directed them to hold off on twin supercharged boats due to the perceived disadvantage of supercharger rebuilds and poor fuel economy. Alot of guys will say they want 500 plus HP but when your market demographic is 45-55 years old, they typically opt for dependability and practicality over raw horsepower. When I sold SeaDoo boats, we rarely sold the big horsepower packages. They are fast but did not sell well.

I could be wrong about Chaparral though. They may have a following that is big into HP. It would be a small market at best.
And the 100 hr (maximum) BRP S.C. rebuild ain't cheap !
However, the BRP "Propulsion system" is actually far superior to the Yamahas.
Now on to the main point:
What the industry will wind up with is SEVERAL manufacturers making excellent quality Jet Powered boats.
And ALL of us will benefit because sooner or later, Yamaha, by the simple laws of American Economics and COMPETITION, will be forced to address and improve several item they have chosen to ignore for years.
We need to be welcoming Scarabs, Chaparrals, and all the rest. The more the competition, the more the die-hard Yamaha fan will see in improvements and new additions.
And having Chapparral in this game means a lot: Their network of dealers, and annual unit sales, is far more than just impressive. They will make a large impact of this jet boat industry.
Y'all play nicely now - Mikey Lulejian - On a slice of Paradise, Lake Oconee, GA

Is it me or does the cockpit seem very shallow? Which seems like it would translate to very little free board. Nice looking boat, but I'll stick to my twin engine with clean out ports.

@MikeyL , I agree with you. Hopefully, Yamaha's competitors will start introducing an improved clean-out port because although I'm glad I have them I think there is definitely room for improvement as far as their design goes.

Back