• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat trailer no title

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have found a Ar192 here in North Carolina for a decent price. The boat is being sold by a broker and they purchased it out of state in which they never received the title for trailer. Does anyone here have knowledge on the process of getting the trailer titled with just bill of sales? Seems like everyone I talk to around here never get their trailers titled or registered but I would like to be legal. He says they can get a brand new trailer for $1500 if I wanted to go that route.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Use a broker and register it in Maine. I’m pretty sure they will only require a bill of sale and not a title if it weighs less than 3000 pounds unloaded. Easy and cheap.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In jersey we don't have titles just a bill of sale and a notary. then they make you etch the trailer numbers and bring that in with you.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know in Florida you can register a homemade trailer . Of course I'm not condoning lying to the government on an official form.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In jersey we don't have titles just a bill of sale and a notary. then they make you etch the trailer numbers and bring that in with you.
I know in Florida you can register a homemade trailer . Of course I'm not condoning lying to the government on an official form.
It’s a shorelander trailer that comes with the boat so I’m sure there numbers already on there.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Long story, but I didnt get a title for the trailer when I bought it, but did have the VIN for the trailer on the bill of sale. Ended up taking that into the DMV and explained that was all I got when I bought it. Was able to work it out. But that was a new boat. I would just call the DMV and ask them what they will need if its an out of state sale with no trailer title.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe you and the Seller need to make your way to the NC DMV (must be a license plate issuance center):

“3.8 ASSIGNMENT OF SERIAL NUMBER FOR TRAILERS (MVR-15) G.S. 20-4.01, 39, 69
All trailers must be identified with serial numbers. Trailers manufactured by the factory are given an identifying number. Trailers without serial numbers cannot be registered unless:
1. Ownership is established and proper ID has been furnished as required by G.S. 20-52(A)
2. If an out-of-state registration is furnished showing homemade trailer without a serial number, an NCX number will be issued to title and license the vehicle.
3. The NCX number is stamped on the rear axle and on frame near towing attachment.
MVR-15 is an assigned trailer identification number. The person who built the trailer or to whom the trailer was sold, prior to obtaining a serial number, must title in their name before selling. The MVR-15 is used as the proof of ownership in lieu of regular title documents. It cannot be used by a purchaser attempting to obtain a new number because he does not have or cannot obtain the certificate of title.”

The above is excerpted from the Section 1, Chapter 3 page 10 of the Vehicle Registration Title Manual:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/dmv/dmv documents/nc title manual.pdf

The MVR-1 and MVR-15 are found @ https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/forms/

As these things go, the specific DMV agent at the license center, can make the process easy or difficult. But per the above, “The MVR-15 is used as the proof of ownership in lieu of regular title documents. It cannot be used by a purchaser attempting to obtain a new number because he does not have or cannot obtain the certificate of title.” Hence the requirement to have the Seller present with you at the NC DMV office.

This process worked for me when I purchased a used SX230 and its non-titled trailer back in 2012.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In South Carolina tags are not required on a trailer so its common that trailer titles get lost. That said I gave my brother in law my old Hurricane Sundeck last year and the trailer fell in this category. He lives in New York and apparently it was a pain to get a new title so he found some old scrap trailer for $200 that had a title and got a tag for it but slapped it on the boat trailer.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seriously...Maine...no title needed...legal...cheap...easy all done online

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm confused....how does Maine's lack of titling help a NC resident and buyer?
Unlike most states you don’t need to be a resident to register a trailer in Maine. And you don’t need a title if trailer is small enough.

So for $20 annual registration and 1x plate fee/excise tax of a few bucks he can legally have the trailer registered and on the roads.

You can pay the $20 registration for up to 12 years in advance so you don’t have to worry about it every spring. Just make sure the bill of sale lists the trailer cost separate so they don’t charge excise tax on the whole boat.

It’s pretty common practice for trucking companies to register all their trailers here because it can all be done online and for the low fees compared to other states. Next time you’re in a truck stop look and see how Maine trailers have Maine tags.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do they issue a title also?
I don’t know what the process for that would be.

We don’t worry too much about trailer titles... I don’t even have a title for the boat. (Maine doesn’t issue boat titles)

If you want the boat I’d try to negotiate as much of the $1500 cost of a new trailer as you can but take the old one and register/use it. Don’t worry about the title. Chances of someone knocking on your door looking for the trailer are pretty slim. If someone does then you’ve got the money earmarked to buy a new one.

Last edited:

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok he said he would split the cost of a new trailer with me. So $750 for a new trailer, he did mention he had to go through a bonded title process for the boat and didn’t want to with the trailer. Why would someone have to go through a bonded title process?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok he said he would split the cost of a new trailer with me. So $750 for a new trailer, he did mention he had to go through a bonded title process for the boat and didn’t want to with the trailer. Why would someone have to go through a bonded title process?
That is a good deal I would take the trailer to a metal shop and have an aluminum trailer made to same dementions. Can cannibalize the old trailer of useable pieces to keep cost down.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a good deal I would take the trailer to a metal shop and have an aluminum trailer made to same dementions. Can cannibalize the old trailer of useable pieces to keep cost down.
Looks like it will be a loadrite aluminum trailer that he is offering to split the price at his cost.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Depends. Could be legitimate reasons; boat came from a non title state or an estate sale where the paperwork was missing etc. Or not so legitimate...

For me it would depend on the broker; his reputation and his story.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends. Could be legitimate reasons; boat came from a non title state or an estate sale where the paperwork was missing etc. Or not so legitimate...

For me it would depend on the broker; his reputation and his story.
Broker seems legit but I don’t want an issue with the title if it comes time for me to sell. He says the title is clean and in the business name.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ask the Broker the name of the Business that is on the title. Search for the Business here (assuming you are dealing with NC-based still):

https://www.sosnc.gov/search/index/corp

This will give you the Officers of the Businessthat is named on the Title. Make sure you are dealing with an Officer of the business, if you are buying assets from a company. The Bill of Sale should include some language to protect you should a clear title not be able to be conveyed:

“If Broker is unable to convey title to the Property for any reason, Buyer’s remedy is the return of any consideration delivered to Broker. Reasons of such inability to convey include, but are not limited to if the validity of the sale is challenged by any party.”

Sorry to go all paranoid on this but, it’s many orders of magnitude safer for you if the Seller has a clean Title in hand and it is in the name of the individual selling the property.

I used to be a Nigerian Prince and my money is tied up in an off-shore account. If you provide me your Bank account number I can help you in this transaction ;-)