• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought a new 2017 Yamaha 212X

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To be clear, the 2017 212X doesn't have speed control (GPS based). It has the standard rpm based cruise assist. It doesn't have the same launch controls they put in the 242X.
Oh that is disappointing. I thought that was sort of a standard feature with the big display. So you can't get PerfectPass for it, and no built-in GPS, so as far as wake sports go, my 2008 is a better boat? That's sort of a big fail in my book.

PS: Got word from my local dealer. Canadian pricing for a 2017 212X is $84,500 (including freight and PDI). That is NUTS. I guess I really need to baby my 2008, and perhaps this move by Yamaha just boosted my resale value :)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh that is disappointing. I thought that was sort of a standard feature with the big display. So you can't get PerfectPass for it, and no built-in GPS, so as far as wake sports go, my 2008 is a better boat? That's sort of a big fail in my book.

PS: Got word from my local dealer. Canadian pricing for a 2017 212X is $84,500 (including freight and PDI). That is NUTS. I guess I really need to baby my 2008, and perhaps this move by Yamaha just boosted my resale value :)
Not sure there is any reason you can't get Perfect Pass for it. My guess is they may not have it right now, but will soon. It doesn't have the E-Series drive by wire throttles.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@buckbuck @Brian eilrich we have bought both our yamahas from neilsons. Where do you guys boat in Il? We are on the Il river Wilmington, IL.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am really interested in switching the tower on my 15 212x to the tower that came on the 17 212x... I talked to the dealer and they confirmed it would fit, but the reinforcement is different and is at my own risk... I was curious if you could possible take a few pictures for me of the under side so I could compare to what I have for reinforcement on my boat. I am thinking it is probably the same or close to the same and that is just their way to cover themselves, but before I spring for it I want to do all my homework.
Thanks!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am really interested in switching the tower on my 15 212x to the tower that came on the 17 212x... I talked to the dealer and they confirmed it would fit, but the reinforcement is different and is at my own risk... I was curious if you could possible take a few pictures for me of the under side so I could compare to what I have for reinforcement on my boat. I am thinking it is probably the same or close to the same and that is just their way to cover themselves, but before I spring for it I want to do all my homework.
Thanks!!
No matter what is under there, i would reinforce it. I wouldn't use plywood unless marine ply perhaps. Look for a cheap cutting board or something similar. I epoxied in a 1 foot by 2 inch 3/4" thick piece of marine plywood. I then locked it i better with fiberglass. Have to drill the holes through the hull first to know wher it all goes.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No matter what is under there, i would reinforce it. I wouldn't use plywood unless marine ply perhaps. Look for a cheap cutting board or something similar. I epoxied in a 1 foot by 2 inch 3/4" thick piece of marine plywood. I then locked it i better with fiberglass. Have to drill the holes through the hull first to know wher it all goes.
Just so I understand you correctly you drilled the holes for the new tower so you could see where the reinforcing was then epoxied in another piece of plywood to double it up basically and spread the load across the whole board? I really want to make the switch but want to make sure I got all my angles covered so I don't get 1/2 through and be out of luck...

Thanks for your help!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just so I understand you correctly you drilled the holes for the new tower so you could see where the reinforcing was then epoxied in another piece of plywood to double it up basically and spread the load across the whole board? I really want to make the switch but want to make sure I got all my angles covered so I don't get 1/2 through and be out of luck...

Thanks for your help!
My boat had nothing but hull fiberglass. Once i know where mounting holes will be i drill them. THEN i reinforce underneath and drill again. This helps when twisting underneath the seats to get everything lined up 100%.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sweet!! Don't know how guys do it getting rid of a new boat so quick to upgrade. $$$ big bucks!!! I would lose my ass if I tried to trade up.
I was thinking the same. I would prolly lose 10k if I took my 3 month old boat in :( But in the grand scheme if he needed this larger size whatever amount he lost in trade I'm sure was the right decision and worth it. Has a boat now he will love every minute driving and entertaining kids and friends. I could see myself in a 2016 242 limited S E series black and red (don't like the 2017 color scheme as much as they flipped the black and red parts). But we will enjoy and be happy in the 2015 SX210 for many years before we will consider upgrading. Will take finding a 2016 SE for the right price used in a few years and hopefully being able to sell mine for a decent number. Until then the 21 footer is doing awesome for us and we love it :)

Tell your friend enjoy his new boat!

Get this, my neighbor bought a brand new Supra SA last year at the Atlanta boat show and used it 1 season. Well he went to the boat show again last month and the same dealer offered to buy his boat back at the same price he paid for it a year ago if he upgraded to the SE model at the boat show price. Of course he took them up on the offer. So he used the boat for 1 season and traded it back in for same price he paid for it. Now he is going to be in the big boy 25' Supra. Must be nice to trade $100K boats every year!

Top Bottom