• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brand New Super newbie (have some questions, thanks in advance)

Ricky E

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First of all, what a neat forum!!
OK here we go: Bought a house on a canal off the Manatee river south of Tampa. I will be buying my first boat soon, and I really think I want a “jetboat”, a Yamaha more specifically. I have some questions for the group:
  • My buddies in the area say ONLY buy an outboard boat. They tell me the Yamaha will suck up sand and jam up the impellers. I have seen quite a few Yamahas out there before though (seems like the younger generation is the typical user, Im 40)
  • Is the ride “bumpy” (more so than a comparable boat) in small chop?
  • Primarily my wife my two starter dogs and myself will use it. My wife loves the seat layout. Can the 21 hold a “day head” in the console or is it too small?
  • We would like to go to cortez, lido and maybe Egmont.
  • What is not a good reason to buy a jet boat?
You guys Im stoked for a Yamaha, please tell me if I am on the correct path!
Thanks y’all

For reference, I have owned a Saltwater used I/O, that was bottom painted and kept in the water all season as well as an Exclusively Freshwater jet that remains in water all season. . . . Personally, if I was riding in Salt Water I would not have gone with a Yamaha JetBoat. I know MANY folks on this forum will disagree with me because plenty of them use their Yammies in salt water. However, if my vacation house was on a Salt-Water Canal instead of a freshwater lake I would almost certainly go with an Outboard. Additionally these boats are LIGHT. . . and feel even lighter in saltwater due to the additional buoyancy. They don't really handle chop well as it is, and the chop in salt water is worse.

In your situation, at least as you have laid it out I would be considering the following:

1. Outboard
2. Jetdrive or I/O w/Closed loop cooling system
3. Lift for the canal if there isn't one there already
4. Something in the 24' class that has at least 5500 lbs and a Deep V hull

People say to and go with outboards because they are typically the least work to maintain (care for) in the salt environment. That results in lower maintenance costs (or fewer costly nightmares) when owners prefer to be lazy and skip the necessary basic care effort). Blowing off or forgetting an engine flush after a long day and getting too busy to do it the next morning...then weekend...week...etc... will have consequences.

Many Yamaha owners here exclusively boat in salt water and have boats in better condition than some identical model fresh water counterparts I have seen. The difference is the regular care. You need to religiously flush the engines and do things like spray the engines with corrosion treatment of choice, there is already LOTS of good instruction and advice in this forum. If you are the type who enjoys tinkering with your boat nearly as much as on the water then you will likely be very happy.

I have not heard of sand jamming an impeller. It would just erode the impellers over time. You should also have very minimal ingestion after depths above three feet and I doubt your outboard counterparts navigate in 3' of water or less very long. If there are lots of tall weeds in your river, they would be a more likely nuisance.

The boats are lighter than other types of similar size, so there is possibly a legitimate claim it is a "rougher ride" in chop than some; but hull design and loading also plays a role. I can say I am very pleased with handling in chop compared to my last (smaller boat), so to me it is a big improvement no matter what.

Potty time: You would not want to climb in there, but I see no reason why you can't store a "day head" on board.

If you don't like a great value, a thrilling ride, good looks, simple design and overall great reliability when taking care of the simple things, the jet boat is not for you. There are some adjustments like mastering the slow speed maneuvers; but that was actually my favorite part.

I've had I/O's (Crownline) and now am on my 2nd Yamaha - currently a 2013 212x. I've also spent tons of time in outboard fishing vessels and inboard wakeboats. Ride quality is more dependent on hull design than anything else. My buddies 21' Scout weighs less than my Yamaha, however due to its hull and it's huge bow, it rides thru big swell like a Caddy. On the other hand, my other friends Malibu 22MXZ is considerably HEAVIER - but it rides like complete crap.
Lake chop vs ocean/bay swells - 3'-4' swells isn't fun, but on the ocean/bay, they are spaced apart and coming at you from 1 direction. 3' chop on a lake - driven by wind, boat traffic, surf swells, tubers, wakeboarders, idiots in go-fast boats, etc coming at you from every possible direction completely sucks. My Yamaha handles it better than some (especially that Malibu), but not as good as others. Softest riding runabouts I've experienced are Cobalts.
That said - I boat exclusively in a decent sized fresh water lake and am completely satisfied with my Yamaha. I feel I made the right choice for our needs. And I have no desire to trailer her to the ocean. But if I lived and boated exclusively in salt water - I'd probably would've considered a different boat.

For reference, I have owned a Saltwater used I/O, that was bottom painted and kept in the water all season as well as an Exclusively Freshwater jet that remains in water all season. . . . Personally, if I was riding in Salt Water I would not have gone with a Yamaha JetBoat. I know MANY folks on this forum will disagree with me because plenty of them use their Yammies in salt water. However, if my vacation house was on a Salt-Water Canal instead of a freshwater lake I would almost certainly go with an Outboard. Additionally these boats are LIGHT. . . and feel even lighter in saltwater due to the additional buoyancy. They don't really handle chop well as it is, and the chop in salt water is worse.

In your situation, at least as you have laid it out I would be considering the following:

1. Outboard
2. Jetdrive or I/O w/Closed loop cooling system
3. Lift for the canal if there isn't one there already
4. Something in the 24' class that has at least 5500 lbs and a Deep V hull

Thanks Hard Charger (me too 88-94)!

I've had I/O's (Crownline) and now am on my 2nd Yamaha - currently a 2013 212x. I've also spent tons of time in outboard fishing vessels and inboard wakeboats. Ride quality is more dependent on hull design than anything else. My buddies 21' Scout weighs less than my Yamaha, however due to its hull and it's huge bow, it rides thru big swell like a Caddy. On the other hand, my other friends Malibu 22MXZ is considerably HEAVIER - but it rides like complete crap.
Lake chop vs ocean/bay swells - 3'-4' swells isn't fun, but on the ocean/bay, they are spaced apart and coming at you from 1 direction. 3' chop on a lake - driven by wind, boat traffic, surf swells, tubers, wakeboarders, idiots in go-fast boats, etc coming at you from every possible direction completely sucks. My Yamaha handles it better than some (especially that Malibu), but not as good as others. Softest riding runabouts I've experienced are Cobalts.
That said - I boat exclusively in a decent sized fresh water lake and am completely satisfied with my Yamaha. I feel I made the right choice for our needs. And I have no desire to trailer her to the ocean. But if I lived and boated exclusively in salt water - I'd probably would've considered a different boat.

Octavio Thanks!

People say to and go with outboards because they are typically the least work to maintain (care for) in the salt environment. That results in lower maintenance costs (or fewer costly nightmares) when owners prefer to be lazy and skip the necessary basic care effort). Blowing off or forgetting an engine flush after a long day and getting too busy to do it the next morning...then weekend...week...etc... will have consequences.

Many Yamaha owners here exclusively boat in salt water and have boats in better condition than some identical model fresh water counterparts I have seen. The difference is the regular care. You need to religiously flush the engines and do things like spray the engines with corrosion treatment of choice, there is already LOTS of good instruction and advice in this forum. If you are the type who enjoys tinkering with your boat nearly as much as on the water then you will likely be very happy.

I have not heard of sand jamming an impeller. It would just erode the impellers over time. You should also have very minimal ingestion after depths above three feet and I doubt your outboard counterparts navigate in 3' of water or less very long. If there are lots of tall weeds in your river, they would be a more likely nuisance.

The boats are lighter than other types of similar size, so there is possibly a legitimate claim it is a "rougher ride" in chop than some; but hull design and loading also plays a role. I can say I am very pleased with handling in chop compared to my last (smaller boat), so to me it is a big improvement no matter what.

Potty time: You would not want to climb in there, but I see no reason why you can't store a "day head" on board.

If you don't like a great value, a thrilling ride, good looks, simple design and overall great reliability when taking care of the simple things, the jet boat is not for you. There are some adjustments like mastering the slow speed maneuvers; but that was actually my favorite part.

Thank you for your time and reply!

You don't want to leave a Yamaha sitting in salt water for extended periods, so if you don't have a lift with a hose outlet nearby, a jet boat shouldn't be on your list. Also, if your canal is full of weeds, don't go for a jet boat.

If you seek one that you can put a day head into, you will want a 2007-2009 23' Yamaha, or any 24' Yamaha. The 2003-06 models don't have a changing room, and the 21' models storage is too small. That said, none are huge, so if you are a BIG guy, you won't be using it comfortably.

The new 24' boats (2015) have been written up to handle chop much better due to the new keel design. The older models do fine, but the bigger and heavier models will handle chop better than the smaller lighter ones. Your best bet it to take it out for a test drive in the conditions you think you'll be boating in a lot. My brother lives in Tampa (in the Baycrest Subdivision) and has a couple of neighbors with Yamahas that love them (still trying to get them to join the forum!).

If I didn't own a Jetboat, my 2nd choice would be an outboard, but I love the safety and performance of my jet and will never go back to a boat with an exposed prop. My daughter calls them "choppy" boats! LOL

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting!

My pervious boat was a 25' deep v, made to go fast. Didn't really enjoy it the past few years because you couldn't get in the boat from the water. With my kids getting to the tubing stage, I wanted something kid friendly.

The layout of the yamaha and the no prop sold me. I baot at the lake of the ozarks, where a busy weekend means waves from all over. My 24 yammy handles better than my 25.

Definitely a bit of a learning curve driving a jet, but it's no big deal. Listen to what others have said...avoid the weeds.

You don't want to leave a Yamaha sitting in salt water for extended periods, so if you don't have a lift with a hose outlet nearby, a jet boat shouldn't be on your list. Also, if your canal is full of weeds, don't go for a jet boat.

If you seek one that you can put a day head into, you will want a 2007-2009 23' Yamaha, or any 24' Yamaha. The 2003-06 models don't have a changing room, and the 21' models storage is too small. That said, none are huge, so if you are a BIG guy, you won't be using it comfortably.

The new 24' boats (2015) have been written up to handle chop much better due to the new keel design. The older models do fine, but the bigger and heavier models will handle chop better than the smaller lighter ones. Your best bet it to take it out for a test drive in the conditions you think you'll be boating in a lot. My brother lives in Tampa (in the Baycrest Subdivision) and has a couple of neighbors with Yamahas that love them (still trying to get them to join the forum!).

If I didn't own a Jetboat, my 2nd choice would be an outboard, but I love the safety and performance of my jet and will never go back to a boat with an exposed prop. My daughter calls them "choppy" boats! LOL

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting!

Thank you for the information

My pervious boat was a 25' deep v, made to go fast. Didn't really enjoy it the past few years because you couldn't get in the boat from the water. With my kids getting to the tubing stage, I wanted something kid friendly.

The layout of the yamaha and the no prop sold me. I baot at the lake of the ozarks, where a busy weekend means waves from all over. My 24 yammy handles better than my 25.

Definitely a bit of a learning curve driving a jet, but it's no big deal. Listen to what others have said...avoid the weeds.

Great!

First of all, what a neat forum!!
OK here we go: Bought a house on a canal off the Manatee river south of Tampa. I will be buying my first boat soon, and I really think I want a “jetboat”, a Yamaha more specifically. I have some questions for the group:
  • My buddies in the area say ONLY buy an outboard boat. They tell me the Yamaha will suck up sand and jam up the impellers. I have seen quite a few Yamahas out there before though (seems like the younger generation is the typical user, Im 40)
  • Is the ride “bumpy” (more so than a comparable boat) in small chop?
  • Primarily my wife my two starter dogs and myself will use it. My wife loves the seat layout. Can the 21 hold a “day head” in the console or is it too small?
  • We would like to go to cortez, lido and maybe Egmont.
  • What is not a good reason to buy a jet boat?
You guys Im stoked for a Yamaha, please tell me if I am on the correct path!
Thanks y’all

Hello again.

My boat will be in a fresh water (cement) canal when not in use. My canal neighbor has a Yamaha, but I have never seen him/her out. Id love to yap with them...

Is this called Manatee canal because all of the Manatee's? I rented a boat in Florida on the intercoastal and the kids will never forget when we ran over a Manatee with the twin outboards. They were everywhere and they had scars all over them from the props. If this is the case, I vote propless to save the manatees. I am half serious

You have great information from everyone above and I don't have anything to add from a saltwater and rougher chop experience other than everything that I have read over the last few years. Things that help with the decision are:
1) will it be used in fresh water or salt water
2) will it be stored IN the water or OUT (i.e. lift, drydock) - You said it will be stored in freshwater.
3) How will you use it (wakeboard, tube, ski, touring) - it sounds like you will tour around with a couple of dogs. Expect that you will add another couple or friends. I think the dogs count as 2 people each so I vote for the largest boat you can get your hands on. k
4) How many people will you have on board? Family size or other?
5) will you ever trailer it and how far? Tow vehicle
6) Do you have a local boat repair shop for the boat(s) you are considering?
7) Do you want to do any work on the boat yourself
8) Is ths your first boat

The newer yamahas have screens on the intake of the jet pumps and you also have the option of adding water strainers if sand/dirt becomes an issue. If you are pulling in sand, the outboard/inboard would probably be hitting the sand.

I think you should check out what the people are driving in your waterways and then I would definitely go for a test drive on the Yamaha and other choice(s). See how your choices handle the water conditions by you because this will be key. I think many people go bigger to address the comfort of the ride in addition to getting more space.

You are lucky. So many choices and enjoy being in the drivers seat since you should see that it is a buyers market

Thanks Hard Charger (me too 88-94)!

Hey NEWB. . . . you don't have to reply with all the comments to say thanks, we are a sophisticated forum with a "like" button that will be more than sufficient. :winkingthumbsup"

Boot. . . j/k

I carry a toilet in the head compartment of my '09 AR230. There is enough room to get in there and sit on it....if I take all the other stuff I carry in there out. No one has used it yet, it's more for if the kids need to poop than for regular use. If it did need to be used I would just take it out and set it on the floor and throw a towel over the windshield or something.

I don't see a reason for you not to get a Jetboat, I wouldn't leave it in the canal all the time though. If you have a lift that would be great. I only boat in salt water so the flushing and rinsing/corrosion control is normal for me, and will be for you as well....it's not that bad!

@Ricky E , first of all, welcome aboard! Jetboaters.net is the best advice on these boats anywhere. As many have mentioned but no direct saltwater guys have chimed on, there is no need to fear a salt water environment if care is given to both clean and protect your boat...that is true with any boat in a salt environment. But these boats, because of close tolerance of the pump, can't be left long term in salt or brackish water because the growth will impede the efficiency of the impeller and water through the pump and diminish the performance too much. Any boat left in the water suffers if scum is allowed to build. Most that do leave boats in the water, use an anti-fouling bottom paint, and that isn't possible too much on a jet boat, again because of the pumps and performance. Those that do, pull the boats routinely to clean the bottoms. Also, leaving the boat in the water long term without protective coatings will cause blisters in the gelcoat, and that spells $$$. If you intend to leave any boat in the water, a lift is a very desired part of your world.

As mentioned, hull design is the main component of how a boat rides. Yamaha has tried to achieve a compromise between a sport boat and a deep V hull boat, and they have done a good job with that effort. But as mentioned, there are some deep V and bay boats that will have a better ride, because they are not designed for sport as much as for handling the bay conditions. Also, under 30', you don't get into a hull that can give you a good ride in most all conditions. But in a recreational boat, all things being equal, the Yamaha layout and appeal won hands down with me...and I am on my second Yamaha! And since a head is important, your looking at a 23 or 24' yamaha, and those will give you the best ride in the category.

When I hear non jet guys giving advice about jets, I kind of snicker to myself. They really don't know much about what they re advising. While you can ingest anything into your intake and jet pump, it isn't the issue that many would feel. I don't power on or off of beaches, I don't operate in water more shallow than 3'...and when I am around the beach or shallows, I don't rev my engines. So I avoid some pitfalls. Many Yamaha owners consider being shallow water capable an advantage "in case", but just don't plan to do it, any more than any boat would plan to run in shallow water. Consider that when your static state, sitting in the water, you draft about 16"...but on plane, you only draft about 8". Also consider that on plane, your not going to "suck" anything into the jets that isn't "scooped" in by the intakes directly...but when static, your intakes are like a big vacuum cleaner and suck whatever is close to them in. Sand will erode but not clog unless you literally scoop the sand into the intakes scraping it in. Vegetation, rope, cans, plastic, almost anything that is passed over can be sucked up but it is a minimal occurrence at speed. Now when your going slow and motoring around, most things are forced to the side by the hull. But vegetation and ropes tend to find their way under a boat, so those have to be considered more seriously. Even with that, a few guys have sucked up a fish or beer can!

Once again, welcome to the forum! You might want to start another thread and direct it to the salt water group if that is really much of a concern to you. Just title it with a Saltwater question.

My 2 cents: ( newbie as well - I just bought mine in 5/2014)

1) Test drive a Yamaha Jet boat (call local dealer)
2) Buy a lift for your dock.
3) weeds....that's why they have clean outs.
4) Yamaha Jets boat = best family boat. (keyword FAMILY)

@Ricky EWhen I hear non jet guys giving advice about jets, I kind of snicker to myself.

This is worth 10,000 words. Get your jet advice here, not from people without jet experience. Most, if not all, of the posters above have significant jet AND prop experience. Note also, you are getting balanced advice, not just jet cheerleading.

Best of luck as you work toward a decision!

Go knock on your neighbors door and find out what he has to say about boating in your area. But the fact that you stated you see quite a few yamahas in the area pretty much answers the question. Now.....stop typing and go buy you a '15 242!! j/k
Oh and Welcome to the site!!! :Welcome:

Back