• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broke the vise removing impellers

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a 4 inch vise. It was holding the hexagonal shaft holder... Snapped.

20% coupon at harbor freight, got me a 4 1/2 vise... But put some heat and oil on it before trying again... And they came off!

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ha! I literally did the same thing this weekend! Now I can't get the bearing and end gate off. Been sitting in PB blast since last night. I'm about ready to bring them to a shop and pay for a rebuild. I also ordered a full new set of shafts, bearing the works x2 to make a new backup set. I may cancel that though. This is so frustrating!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Same thing happened to me on March 7th this year. Welcome to the club boys!

I replaced mine with a beefier harbor freight special for $70ish which had been great, so far.

@Josserman, I recommend you go the distance and replace everything now if you suspect a problem with the bearings. If one fails in season it could be the end of the season. I’ve had to switch out impellers five or so times since owning my current boat. The first time I bought all the tools / big box wrenches, spent over two hours sweating and sometimes hang off the wrench before giving up driving the assemblies 60 miles to a pwc shop I trust and paying them $60 to remove the impellers from their shafts. The latter was worth every penny and second. I should have done that first. The “tricks” I picked up from watching the shop guy (once the amateur freestyle/single rider pwc tricks only) world champion) was to use a big well secured vise and a long (3 to 4 foot) extension / pipe on the end of the wrench.
FD4E8852-47C4-4DC2-991E-C4DA7655FE3B.jpegC7062B3E-5A8C-4ABE-A817-00B2FAB768CF.jpegE7F84335-D424-4C67-8CD2-CE7783EB828A.jpeg

Last edited:

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same thing happened to me on March 7th this year. Welcome to the club boys!

I replaced mine with a beefier harbor freight special for $70ish which had been great, so far.

@Josserman, I recommend you go the distance and replace everything now if you suspect a problem with the bearings. If one fails in season it could be the end of the season. I’ve had to switch out impellers five or so times since owning my current boat. The first time I bought all the tools / big box wrenches, spent over two hours sweating and sometimes hang off the wrench before giving up driving the assemblies 60 miles to a pwc shop I trust and paying them $60 to remove the impellers from their shafts. The latter was worth every penny and second. I should have done that first. The “tricks” I picked up from watching the shop guy (once the amateur freestyle/single rider pwc tricks only) world champion) was to use a big well secured vise and a long (3 to 4 foot) extension / pipe on the end of the wrench.
View attachment 119522View attachment 119523View attachment 119524

Josserman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did the impellers last season (only have an hour or two not them).
Skipped the other stuff as I wanted to get back in.
Have some sexy Riva housings I never installed.
Last year I got all the bearings, o-rings, oiling ring....

Placed below order over weekend in frustration, but just called dealer and they are going to help me out. I'm so done. Not to mention I have a laundry list of other tasks I want to do for the boat before going in.

I'm on the fence though about having a backup set ready to go that I can swap in and out. So may or mayn't cancel this order.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 12.26.55 PM.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, you must have been super frustrated to order all of that. I thought you just ordered new and extra bearings. Im surprised to see how much shafts are? If the impeller duct is the metal piece between the hull and front of the impeller housing / pump l, have you already removed the oem units? I only ask because I’m wondering it’s as tough to get them / cut them out as I imagine?