• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Captains Chair

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I finally realized why my captains chair was so uncomfortable and was preventing access to the starboard rear storage, the seat base was completely busted. Searching for solutions I found this appears to be a fairly common problem on our boats, but there were no real solutions other than to replace the whole seat. At the princely sum of $600-700 this was not a road I wanted to go down. so I pulled the seat and removed the mounting bracket and the main cushion. cut so aluminum L stock down to reinforce the seat base and galvanized straps as well. I hind sight I should have done some additional cross bracing, but initial testing has held up OK. Ill let you know how it goes on a sea trial later today. see the pics below: hope this helps some of you wish Yamaha would have built these with a metal seat base.

Rickey498

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same problem I seen another guy on here had a thread about and he used a piece of plywood so I did the same. So far it has held up. If it starts to fail I will order a piece of plastic to replace it.

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Plywood will probabaly be fine. I saw. Video on YouTube of a 240 owner fixing his seat base with a plastics cutting board cut to reinforce the base. Sadly I couldn’t find replacement seat parts, but I believe our chairs are made by Wise.

FYI. test ride with well and repair held up over 1ft chop. Hope it continues to last.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine just broke for 2nd time. First time I fixed with wood. Will have to tear it apart to see where my engineering degree (Kmart going out of business sale) went wrong.

Coffeecan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulled chair to look and evidently the chop/bump was bad enough to make 1/2 inch of plywood push past the molded plastic. Think I’m going to try a different seat also...likely avoiding Wise as I believe they manufactured this one.

Attachments

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to go out today so made one last effort at fixing. I think this may hold.
Metal braces cut with circle saw. Longer plywood piece that covers entire area. So far, so good.

Attachments

Sebastian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sadly, my repair ultimately failed and I replaced the chair with one from amazon that matches OK. Leader Accessories Two Tone Captains Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat (White/Charcoal) Amazon.com : Leader Accessories Two Tone Captains Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat (White/Charcoal) : Sports & Outdoors. It’s been a good seat, smaller profile than OEM seat which can be nice, but probably a tighter squeeze if your a bit husky.
Looks like you put a lot of work in the first fix...
I guess I'm just going ahead and will order a replacement.
This one I like better design wise, and there is somebody in the comments that posted it fits an AR190.

Seamander Captain Bucket Seat,Sport Flip Up Seat (White/Charcoal) Amazon.com : Seamander Captain Bucket Seat, Sport Flip Up Seat (White/Charcoal) : Sports & Outdoors

Sebastian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the above mentioned seat and was out today. Measurement tells me the seat with he bolster up is about 1 inch lower than the stock seat
And I could immediately tell that visibility over the windshield was not as good.
Not sure if I'll keep it...

The other mentioned seat, how much does that bring you down @Coffeecan ?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Installed the above mentioned seat and was out today. Measurement tells me the seat with he bolster up is about 1 inch lower than the stock seat
And I could immediately tell that visibility over the windshield was not as good.
Not sure if I'll keep it...

The other mentioned seat, how much does that bring you down @Coffeecan ?
You could buy an adjustable pedestal....

walid alamir

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sadly, my repair ultimately failed and I replaced the chair with one from amazon that matches OK. Leader Accessories Two Tone Captains Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat (White/Charcoal) Amazon.com : Leader Accessories Two Tone Captains Bucket Seat Premium Sports Flip Up Boat Seat (White/Charcoal) : Sports & Outdoors. It’s been a good seat, smaller profile than OEM seat which can be nice, but probably a tighter squeeze if your a bit husky.
Thanks for your post, unfortunately, I saw it after I did exactly everything you did before with obvious no luck :(
Reviewing Amazon comments, most negative comments are about the color change to yellow in a few weeks!!!! did you have the same problem?

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to go out today so made one last effort at fixing. I think this may hold.
Metal braces cut with circle saw. Longer plywood piece that covers entire area. So far, so good.
And this fix also broke. This is a horrible design. Time to shop for a replacement seat unfortunately.

Attachments

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Attachments

Secret Cabin no. 5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an extra captains chair for sale because I just changed to a bench in my 2013 SX192 to match the AR layout. I would like $300usd or ($400cad) for it OBO. Shipping cost born by purchaser (I am in the Toronto, Canada area). Comes with floor mount and hardware. E-mail andy8269084@hotmail.comCE4DBB6D-E86B-431B-BBB8-BD3883BE3F60.jpeg83583166-426D-4D6C-8ADD-D2DDD15549E4.jpeg0601801C-F1FA-40CA-BE90-37F9E457A7F1.jpeg404DAA67-04A5-4D1F-856A-45B0335258BA.jpeg6EFB74D5-4F8E-404E-80E1-7B2088E8BC11.jpegB20F4B97-8E58-4C46-882A-3F00B6760F4E.jpegD8A2EA23-9F8C-47FC-B424-8C66B13FC552.jpegD8A2EA23-9F8C-47FC-B424-8C66B13FC552.jpegCE4DBB6D-E86B-431B-BBB8-BD3883BE3F60.jpegD8A2EA23-9F8C-47FC-B424-8C66B13FC552.jpeg

jet_boater_paul

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My captain's chair has suffered the same fate. Reading through this thread, I'm not very confident about fixing using a bracket or plywood. Thinking out load, what do folks think about the prospect of doing some sort of plastic welding to repair the crack? Maybe some JB Weld? Found this kit on Amazon - comes with wire mesh stuff for reinforcement, etc. Does anyone happen to know what *type* of plastic forms the base of our seats? (2012 sx190)

Here's what the bottom of my chair looks like:

Attachments

Last edited:

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
for me, it was really difficult to get the plastic lined back up and held in position while I tried any type of repair. If you can get it lined up, it might work, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

jet_boater_paul

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hmm - looking at the pics of your attempted fix...I wonder if you could spray a bunch of that Great Stuff Expanding Foam to fill the void behind the plastic base so that there's nothing for the plastic to break / fall into.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm - looking at the pics of your attempted fix...I wonder if you could spray a bunch of that Great Stuff Expanding Foam to fill the void behind the plastic base so that there's nothing for the plastic to break / fall into.
Maybe, but I went for a replacement and it’s working much better.

jet_boater_paul

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Here is my attempt at fixing my broken chair base. I didn't go with plastic welding or spray foam. I opted for a fix similar to WilCo above using a piece of plywood. I used about $25 worth of JB Weld (original formula) to fix the cracked/broken plastic and then I glued a few pieces of sponge on top of that for the plywood to sit. My reasoning there is that the sponge might help distribute the weight / forces more evenly to the chair base. Whatever JB Weld I had that was extra I smeared around the edges to provide some reinforcement. We'll see I guess.

First time using JB Weld. You can't tell from the pic, but man, that stuff once it hardens is like rock. Package says 5000+ PSI withstand it can.
IMG_3546.jpg

Sponges to help distribute weight force evenly. Not sure if this will do anything.
IMG_3548.jpg

Put a few coats of poly on the plywood before attaching to provide some water / moisture resistance.
IMG_3549.jpg