• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Building new boathouse - what size lift?

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We recently purchased an undeveloped waterfront lot at an area lake and we're going to build the boathouse first. The quote is for a 4,000 lb lift. I asked what is the difference in $$$ for a 6,000 lb lift and was told about $750-1,000 depending on configuration. Dry weight on an '18 AR195 is 2300 lbs. With fuel and people I'm thinking the 4,000 lb lift should be fine but in the back of my mind I think I'm forgetting a factor (no future new boat in sight :().

Would appreciate everyone's thoughts - on the lift or boathouse in general!

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Always go bigger than you need because your boat might get bigger even though you wont need that either but somehow it just happens

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would also go bigger than 4k. 6k sounds like a decent size for a lake house. I see so many people upgrading (like we did) from a 19' boat to something a little bigger that can take 2 families comfortably.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you doing a floating dock and lift?

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With it only being 1k more up front, definitely go bigger.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We recently purchased an undeveloped waterfront lot at an area lake and we're going to build the boathouse first. The quote is for a 4,000 lb lift. I asked what is the difference in $$$ for a 6,000 lb lift and was told about $750-1,000 depending on configuration. Dry weight on an '18 AR195 is 2300 lbs. With fuel and people I'm thinking the 4,000 lb lift should be fine but in the back of my mind I think I'm forgetting a factor (no future new boat in sight :().

Would appreciate everyone's thoughts - on the lift or boathouse in general!
Can you have a lift? Our lake won't allow a boathouse to be built with a lift, you need a rail system.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys ... I'm going with the 6k lift. For some reason, this kind of decision goes more smoothly w/ wifey when I can point to something like this to back me up.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As the owner of a 4400 and 4000 lb hydrohoist, I would do 6000/6600 if going at it from scratch and the money wouldn’t kill me.
Resale will be better and it gives you options. Plus it is fun watching a big lift with a 2500 pound boat onboard surface like a nuclear sub. 😁

BoaTN

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have this 5000 lb shallow water lift - UltraLift2 Shallow Water Boat Lift
In the photos it's the one with black tanks. It doesn't have any problem lifting the boat, and launching is quick, but when my boat is lifted the top of the tanks are barely out of the water. Where the hoses connect touches the water. When there's no boat on it, and it's in the up position it looks like the example photo with a lot of the tank out of the water. If you ever get a 24' boat you'll need the extra capacity.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with a 10,000. More than I’ll ever need but better to be oversized for a lift in my opinion.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
10k ... what's in the future plans?! Now, I have to make sure the ceiling (will be tongue & groove) is high enough. I don't want any worries about taking the tower dock when I pull in and out.

I went with a 10,000. More than I’ll ever need but better to be oversized for a lift in my opinion.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With Yamahas you can probably just add the draft to the in water height and get in the ball park

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. I'm hoping that 10 feet of clearance will do the trick.
A 242 with eseries Bimini is 8'2" in water height and 20 inches of draft....so that would be very close on a 10 foot clearance. Another 6" would give you room to grow, but perhaps the ceiling under the roof will be higher and the 10' is just the clearance to get under....in which case you are fine.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have a 10K lift, with a 14 or 16ft above water clearance. Its high for the 242 LSE but with tidal surges and storms its give a little of piece of mind by getting it as high as you can. We normally lift for long stays up until the steel beams are in the slots on the dock. It reduces the distance the rack and move side to side with the wind.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, Julian. I will have to check with the builder. Wifey wanted a flat ceiling versus one with open rafters. Good to know before any wood is onsite.

A 242 with eseries Bimini is 8'2" in water height and 20 inches of draft....so that would be very close on a 10 foot clearance. Another 6" would give you room to grow, but perhaps the ceiling under the roof will be higher and the 10' is just the clearance to get under....in which case you are fine.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Julian is correct you have to have room for the boat to raise up into on the lift. 16’ from the water sounds about right. It would be easier to accomplish with a rafter ceiling.