• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Buying a Yamaha FSH 195 sport, need advice

Ozzyj93

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and boating as well. I am about to pull the trigger on a Yamaha FSH 195 sport. I live in Miami, so I will use it in salt water. However I don’t plan on going out into open ocean. I know these boats are ideally suited for freshwater however based on my research it appears it has the resources to withstand salt water environments. Would really appreciate any advice on owning a Yamaha jet boat for use in the ocean :) and anything else I should keep in mind as an absolute novice. Thank you!

If you trailer it and flush after every outing, spray protectant on the surfaces that are prone to corrode you will be just fine. SaltAway is a great idea to use, in the engine and as a wash down.
How you care for your boat greatly impacts its reliability and longevity

Welcome to jetboaters.net. I don’t have any experience with that model boat and I also don’t have any experience with putting my boat in saltwater. I have used a waverunner a few years ago in saltwater and it seemed to fare well. The real factors would be if you’re going to pull the boat out daily and clean/flush each use or store it in a slip.
Good luck with your search and again, welcome.

edit. Make sure you get an aluminum or galvanized trailer for the salt water. a steel one won’t hold up well in the salt.

If you trailer it and flush after every outing, spray protectant on the surfaces that are prone to corrode you will be just fine. SaltAway is a great idea to use, in the engine and as a wash down.
How you care for your boat greatly impacts its reliability and longevity
Yep, will def trailer and flush after every use. It will be parked in a home. To clarify, by flush, are you referring to where a water hose is connected to pump freshwater to clean the salt out of the engine? I have added SaltAway to my Amazon wishlist ? lol

Welcome to jetboaters.net. I don’t have any experience with that model boat and I also don’t have any experience with putting my boat in saltwater. I have used a waverunner a few years ago in saltwater and it seemed to fare well. The real factors would be if you’re going to pull the boat out daily and clean/flush each use or store it in a slip.
Good luck with your search and again, welcome.

edit. Make sure you get an aluminum or galvanized trailer for the salt water. a steel one won’t hold up well in the salt.
Yep, definitely plan on cleaning after every use. And thank you very much. Looking forward to my future ocean adventures! ?

Yep, will def trailer and flush after every use. It will be parked in a home. To clarify, by flush, are you referring to where a water hose is connected to pump freshwater to clean the salt out of the engine? I have added SaltAway to my Amazon wishlist ? lol
Yup thats where you flush the engine cooling system and exhaust from

Check out this thread …

As the others have said, rinse everything with copious amounts of fresh water and salt away. Also be sure to spray everything with silicone spray in the engine bay and the rear bilge. You are about to set sail on a wonderful journey! Lots of great folks here to help out. There is also a ton of info in the different forums.

You’ll be able to take your boat out in the ocean, just have to pick your days and get experience. My friend used to take a 17’ Boston Whaler Montauk over to Catalina from Long Beach CA, that is one of the most potentially dangerous waters to boat in.

Our 2021 FSH 195 Sport does good in coastal waters, just pick your days and weather/seas. As others have said, flush and wash after and coat items in silicone and grease. More so when using in saltwater.

Upon delivery, I suggest taking some CorrosionX HD and spraying all the hose clamps in the engine bay and in the rear bilge (accessible via the hatch on the swim platform). This will protect the salt from corroding the clamps. The HD formula should hold up for a season or more. Also don’t forget to rinse this area out after being out in the ICW.

Standard CorrosionX is great for the balance of struts and back side of the helm/dash, including the steering cable connection (a little goes a long way).

As others have said, use salt away or the equivalent during the last 45 seconds or so of your flush and also on your trailer springs, brakes (if equipped) & hubs.

Also might want to spray down the helm seat pedestal, and adjustment points occasionally.

First few times out, try to go mid week, less activity at the ramp and on the water ways, will give you the chance to get accustomed to the boat and your routine for launching/retrieving, anchoring, etc.

Enjoy your boating adventures!

Check out this thread …

As the others have said, rinse everything with copious amounts of fresh water and salt away. Also be sure to spray everything with silicone spray in the engine bay and the rear bilge. You are about to set sail on a wonderful journey! Lots of great folks here to help out. There is also a ton of info in the different forums.

You’ll be able to take your boat out in the ocean, just have to pick your days and get experience. My friend used to take a 17’ Boston Whaler Montauk over to Catalina from Long Beach CA, that is one of the most potentially dangerous waters to boat in.
Absolute noob here ? engine bay is where the engine is? I would spray the silicone in there? On the engine? I’ve already purchased salt away! Salt away I can put everywhere on the boat correct? I was also informed I can use when flushing. And thank you very much. Feels like there’s a ton to learn, but ready for the adventures ?

Absolute noob here ? engine bay is where the engine is? I would spray the silicone in there? On the engine? I’ve already purchased salt away! Salt away I can put everywhere on the boat correct? I was also informed I can use when flushing. And thank you very much. Feels like there’s a ton to learn, but ready for the adventures ?

No worries man, we’ve all been there! This forum is a wealth of knowledge. I spray down everything in the engine bay with silicon spray. I use Yamaha marine grease for everything that moves external of the hull, such as the steering cable. The engine is under the helmsman seat.

A couple of special interest Corrosion areas on the boat.
#1 all the electronics on the back of the helm, I take every blade connector off one at a time and apply corrosion x with an acid brush. All the connectors I will pull apart and spray LPS 1 in them.
#2 all the hardware connections on the t-top will start corroding around the Fastners. So within the first couple of weeks I would pull each Fastner one at a time and bed them in silicone. then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol to remove the excess mess.
#3 In the engine compartment, where the exhaust manifold drops down to meet the rubber transfer tube. I would corrosion X HD that connection with an acid brush all the way around where the metal meets the rubber. It likes to corrode right there.
#4 The anchor locker, rear cleanout and floor hatches have a crummy latch that is only rated for fresh water. make sure you keep those silicone sprayed top and bottom.

I could go on and on, but i think the members here will give a lot more solid input. On a side note, I haven't done it yet but i am going to run a hot water connection outside the house for washing the boat. Thats the #1 way to get salt off. Good luck with your new adventure!

Here is a video link of Will @JetBoatPilot showing how he recommends spraying down the engine. I believe he is using Corrosion X in this video (Red can, green substance). Corrosion X HD is more brown, and forms what they call a “self healing skin” the will not allow the salt to attack your hose clamps. There are something like 40+ clamps on each engine, just following each hose, and ensure you spray the clamps. The unseen area, is what’s under the swim platform - often referred to as the lower bilge here. Get a flashlight and look under there, you should find another 8-10 clamps (each thru hull fitting, as well as the exhaust (water box) - which kind of resembles a large round muffler. The silicone spray works as well, however in my experience does not have the staying power of Corrosion X, so what you save upfront on the can, you lose in time and effort in having to reapply frequently.

Another well regarded member here suggests using toilet bowl wax to seal the steering and reverse cables from water intrusion.

It will all make sense in time. Watch some videos, read up here, and ask away. Also pictures are helpful when asking questions. While I have a different model, I did upgrade my deck latches, because as @Dixemon stated, the stock ones will pit and then become brittle from the salt over time.

If you haven’t already, go to harbor freight or the likes and get a water proof box with a gasket (I purchased a large “ammo box” from HF), and make yourself a tool kit - screw drivers, pliers, metric sockets or ratchet wrenches, as well a a knife - never know when you will have to cut a rope.

Wow, that's crazy, Spray that stuff on your motor around here and it would turn to a crusty dusty goo.

Here is a video link of Will @JetBoatPilot showing how he recommends spraying down the engine. I believe he is using Corrosion X in this video (Red can, green substance). Corrosion X HD is more brown, and forms what they call a “self healing skin” the will not allow the salt to attack your hose clamps. There are something like 40+ clamps on each engine, just following each hose, and ensure you spray the clamps. The unseen area, is what’s under the swim platform - often referred to as the lower bilge here. Get a flashlight and look under there, you should find another 8-10 clamps (each thru hull fitting, as well as the exhaust (water box) - which kind of resembles a large round muffler. The silicone spray works as well, however in my experience does not have the staying power of Corrosion X, so what you save upfront on the can, you lose in time and effort in having to reapply frequently.

Another well regarded member here suggests using toilet bowl wax to seal the steering and reverse cables from water intrusion.

It will all make sense in time. Watch some videos, read up here, and ask away. Also pictures are helpful when asking questions. While I have a different model, I did upgrade my deck latches, because as @Dixemon stated, the stock ones will pit and then become brittle from the salt over time.

If you haven’t already, go to harbor freight or the likes and get a water proof box with a gasket (I purchased a large “ammo box” from HF), and make yourself a tool kit - screw drivers, pliers, metric sockets or ratchet wrenches, as well a a knife - never know when you will have to cut a rope.
Thank you for this. It's great info, and will definitely apply. When you say toilet bowl wax to seal the cables from water intrusion, does this mean apply the toilet bowl wax on the cables?

Slide off the black rubber boots/jackets from where the steering and reverse cables, apply the wax and then slide the boots back in place. Stock photo found online, and I circled the areas.

56E31FD6-234A-43BA-8A4B-8B7AADEBCB7E.jpeg

I get white lithium grease in a spray can and coat everything on the engine and electronics and pump . the white grease coats well stays put and is not even obvious when you look at it prior to that I used silicon spray but you had to do it over frequently. and spray ALL your hose clamps as well those rust and fall off, and if you go in salt water add a zinc anode to the back of your trailer since your electrical system on the tow vehicle is connected to it when you back into the water.

1683668933589.png

Last edited:
Slide off the black rubber boots/jackets from where the steering and reverse cables, apply the wax and then slide the boots back in place. Stock photo found online, and I circled the areas.

View attachment 199467
Got it! This whole time I thought those cables were in the helm lol. Thank you

My complaint about using corrosion x is the grease slick on the bottom of the bilge that collects dirt and grime. I prefer the Yamalube silicone spray instead.

Back