• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Camper Enclosure" Question

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to add front and side curtains to the boat to make a 3 sided 'camping enclosure', but I don't know where best to place the snaps for the lower attach points. I will sow in zippers to the bimini top to create the top attach points. and add zippers to either side of the from piece to attach the side to.

Should I place the snaps at the top of the windshield on the metal frame (red)? How do you do this???
or
The bottom of the windshield on the metal frame (green)?
or
the gelcoated hull just under the windshield frame (yellow)?
or
somewhere else entirely?

The yellow boat is a good example of what I want to do.

FB_IMG_1499635811743.jpg
example 1.jpg

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to put the snaps at the top of the windshield, but I'm not sure what to use.

I was thinking something like this.

407__98788.1505161430.1280.1280.jpg 407.2__40882.1505161430.1280.1280.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you buy a snap-on cover, those come with a kit to install all the snaps - some screw into the fiberglass and some are mounted around the windshield. They fit into that groove somehow, and can be mounted without tools. I forgot what those look like when I installed mine in my 190, but they worked perfectly. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can most certainly get snaps that will fit our boats windshields exactly.

Albeit, I like the ones you posted in the picture above, looks like those would not move much which could be a plus.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any one i have owned or seen was attached to the upper edge of the windshield frame. Never to the bottem
Would look od going in front of the glass

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want to put the snaps at the top of the windshield, but I'm not sure what to use.
I was thinking something like this.
View attachment 66053 View attachment 66054
I would do a little bit research before I use those snaps. I had same one during the Bimini crossing in the 2017 and at least 5 of them came loose and the bow cover was flopping for half the trip.
So I am not sure how they will resist wind at WOT

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

I madw a trip to West Marine and Overtons. I bought 1 kind and orded the Taylormade kind above. Ill see what works.

Now i have to get out the sowing machine and learn how to use it.... wish me luck!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Eric Ballard I am not wishing you anything unless you promise to post pictures :D

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will definitely go with snaps at the top of the windshield.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

I madw a trip to West Marine and Overtons. I bought 1 kind and orded the Taylormade kind above. Ill see what works.

Now i have to get out the sowing machine and learn how to use it.... wish me luck!
That’s awesome, man. Keep us posted!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

Good luck, i had a bimini extension and boot made a few years ago by a friend of mine who used to sew a lot as a hobby. From what i remember, get as heavy duty machine as you can, that self threads and a lot of thick needles.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Eric Ballard These are the snaps used on my boat by the canvas shop when I had custom covers made for my AR230. She also used the screw type for attachment points on fiberglass. My cover is not a camper cover but bow and cockpit covers. These snaps work well but mount above the channel at the base of the windshield. Although I have not tried, they may also work on the top of the windshield. Looks like it may from your pic. above.
20170131_134901_001#1.jpgTaylor Made snaps look like a pretty good source and are readily available.Screen shot 2017-11-18 at 7.24.02 AM.pngHere is a link to different types of snaps http://www.canvas-boat-cover-and-repair-advisor.com/boat-cover-snaps.html

Last edited:

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had a full enclosure made; I'm not sure what type of snap the guy used but the windshield and side pieces all attach to the top of the windshield. The enclosure helps stretch a short boating season; "What rain?".IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1216.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@bumpy , that is sweet all the way around, including the dock.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, @Ronnie! The dock is a bit long in the tooth; I built it 19 years ago when we built our house on the lot that used to have my parents summer cottage. Heavy as hell, but I don't take it out for the winter because the lake is drained 3-4 feet for the winter ice every year now. The boat is sitting in less than 2 feet in the photos.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Eric Ballard These are the snaps used on my boat by the canvas shop when I had custom covers made for my AR230. She also used the screw type for attachment points on fiberglass. My cover is not a camper cover but bow and cockpit covers. These snaps work well but mount above the channel at the base of the windshield. Although I have not tried, they may also work on the top of the windshield. Looks like it may from your pic. above.
View attachment 66071Taylor Made snaps look like a pretty good source and are readily available.View attachment 66072Here is a link to different types of snaps http://www.canvas-boat-cover-and-repair-advisor.com/boat-cover-snaps.html
Those were the ones used on my boat.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is the variable. I have a sewing machine and I am actually still looking for it in my garage. I'm sure it is not a heavy duty, but I'm hoping it will work if I go slow and easy.

Thanks for the link to though as I was looking on craigslist too in case I needed something more.