• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I mod a 2019?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So here's the deal. Wife loves the AR210 color. I love having the twin tachs on the AR210 and the price is, well, close to where we want to be. However, she absolutely hates the "pad" on the port side. We are taking the bench out and installing another captains chair. That backrest pad, she just cant get past it. I told her, that pad is going to end up costing me $10,000 because if we can't mod it out, we will have to go with the limited S. Not that it's a bad thing, but... 10 grand...
So, my question is this. Can we remove the AR pad and cupholder and replace it with the limited "drink bin and glove compartment?" I know it seems odd to ask, but if it costs a couple grand to make the mod, that still saves me $8,000. Does anyone know if Yamaha can make the change or any aftermarket place might?IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does that 10k also buy you the 1.8engines ? Not sure but if so it might be worth considering

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does that 10k also buy you the 1.8engines ? Not sure but if so it might be worth considering
Yes it does. Just making that jump is a tough decision. Not that we couldn't afford it, it's just, man I'm about to drop $55 large on a boat.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
55k should get you a ar240. You get the layout you want and more room.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Assuming the boat has not yet been purchased and if so the sales person has a vested interest in making you happy so you will want to buy the boat although I would not tell them you may buy a more expensive boat based on his answer " HMMMM". Ask if the dealer can handle modifying it as a condition for you purchasing the boat perhaps THEY may make the suggestion of going to the more expensive boat at a DISCOUNT as an incentive for you to buy it Play the hand and see what happens

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Assuming the boat has not yet been purchased and if so the sales person has a vested interest in making you happy so you will want to buy the boat although I would not tell them you may buy a more expensive boat based on his answer " HMMMM". Ask if the dealer can handle modifying it as a condition for you purchasing the boat perhaps THEY may make the suggestion of going to the more expensive boat at a DISCOUNT as an incentive for you to buy it Play the hand and see what happens
That's sort of how we got a 2015 212X. Went to the dealer in August of 2015 after Yamaha released the information on the 2016 boats, that didn't include the 21' Boats with the MR-1 Engines. Went hoping to snag a deal on the last of the 2015s with the MR-1 Engines. Dealer didn't have any in stock, but offered a great deal on the 2015 212X that was sitting on their lot. The sales guy point blank asked us if we'd be interested in the more expensive 212X, we said yes, if the deal was worth it. 15 minutes later, we agreed to the deal, it was still more expensive than the MSRP on a 21' with the MR-1 Engines, but let's just say it was closer to the MSRP of those boats than it was to the MSRP of the 212X! So I'd say this would be a great way to attempt to get a deal on a better boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other option is go with an sx210 and just add an aftermarket tower to it

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We went through the same debate in 2017.... I want a 21 ft.... OK, lets look at the SX 210, but my wife wanted captains chairs, I want a tower, I would like the bigger engines..... I had the option to get a new 2016 212 SS and make some of the mods myself ( for less total $$ ). Glad I didn't. Doing aftermarket will NOT look the same and may not be quality. Also, making the mod you are talking about might lower resale. Get the 212 Ltd S and don't look back, all the extras it comes with are totally worth it. This is my opinion based on what we went through, similar to what you are.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. We have decided to go 2019 Grey/black 212 Limited S (that payment though...). A few mods like tinting the windshield, some thrust vectors and tower speakers. Should be good to go. Have the name down to three options, not sure which one yet... Oh, and I'll have to eliminate those people wearing shoes on my boat!
Screenshot_2018-10-12 212 Limited S.png

Last edited:

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just added an amp and it made a huge difference, we decided not to get tower speakers. Simpler install. I have the 2017 same boat. You'll love it!

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just added an amp and it made a huge difference, we decided not to get tower speakers. Simpler install. I have the 2017 same boat. You'll love it!
Was it like a small kenwood amp just to boost the 6x9 speakers? did you add a sub?

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on your new boat! I cant believe I missed this thread, but in my opinion you made the right call. We had a similar debate to @afsigma21 and are glad that we just got what we wanted from the factory rather than having to add it all ourselves.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Added a 800w Rockville 8 channel marine amp. Used existing speaker wires and RCA from the radio for input. Bridged 2 of the 8 channels for a sub and amped all 6 stock speakers. Stuck an old school 8" tube sub I had laying around in the cabinet behind the steering wheel.

I tried to keep it as simple as I could, I did not want to run wires into the tower unless I had to.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on your new boat! I cant believe I missed this thread, but in my opinion you made the right call. We had a similar debate to @afsigma21 and are glad that we just got what we wanted from the factory rather than having to add it all ourselves.
I have an orthopedic surgeon I work with from Saskatoon.

I would love to tell the names. Also, Bimini is on my bucket list. Want to trailer down to Miami then make the crossing.