• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you go without Anchor chain

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Perhaps its just me but using my anchor can be a tenuous task as I always worry about the chain hitting the boat especially when Im retrieving it. Has anyone gone without the chain? what is the possible negative.

I use a box anchor with a short rubberized section of chain. Works great. Box anchors are known to need less chain. Now I don't anchor up in rivers and sleep on the boat overnight....so your results may vary!

Perhaps its just me but using my anchor can be a tenuous task as I always worry about the chain hitting the boat especially when Im retrieving it. Has anyone gone without the chain? what is the possible negative.
What type anchor are you using? I have a box anchor and do not use any chain. works great.

Reactions: 007
I have a normal anchor that came with the boat. I use my shore spike as an anchor some times cause I keep it in the wet storage and its easy to use.

If you have anything other than a box anchor you really want a chain. The weight of the chain changes the angle of the pull on the anchor allowing you to use a shorter anchor rode and still dig into the bottom nicely.

So yes, you COULD get away without a chain but you'll need to allow for a longer anchor rode. Heck, my Dad never had chain on any of his anchor lines, but the largest boat he ever owned was 17' and we didn't anchor much.

When retrieving, I always make a point of hanging over the side a bit with arms out straight. Probably bad for my back, but better for the gel-coat...

(And in the category of 'How frigging cool is that?' I started this reply on my phone and finished it on my PC - without having to retype what I had typed on my phone!!! SWEET!!!)

So on the discussion of anchoring... I have a valid question.

I just purchased my boat this past fall and have never anchored it. In fact I have not anchored a boat since I used to help my dad on do it on our pontoon growing up. I honestly thought you just toss it in and let drift with the wind/waves.
I'm starting to think that there is way more to it than that! The previous owner left me with a collapsible folding anchor that turns into a square (I assume this is the box anchor).

Would anyone care to provide the steps I need to take when anchoring? We will primarily be boating on a lake with a very muddy bottom that only reaches about 10' deep at the deepest point.

Thanks for the info.

@GiddYupJoe, with a box anchor and a muddy bottom with 10 feet of depth, just throw it in and let aperhaps 20 feet of rope out so the boat is pulling at an angle instead of straight up. The box anchor is a less fussy anchor. It does not need a lot of rode (rope extension between the boat and anchor) or special placement.

@GiddYupJoe, with a box anchor and a muddy bottom with 10 feet of depth, just throw it in and let aperhaps 20 feet of rope out so the boat is pulling at an angle instead of straight up. The box anchor is a less fussy anchor. It does not need a lot of rode (rope extension between the boat and anchor) or special placement.
I do exactly what Bruce stated. I have two box anchors. One medium, one small. I use anchor buddies with them and they Both work well. I can't remember which one it is, but one has a couple feet of rubberized chain on it like Julian mentioned.

I could never get a fluke anchor to set in the tight coves that I boat in. Especially with wind blowing me around. The box anchor is easy to set up on board and just throw out where you need it to set. It's just that easy.

Real smart men chuck the box anchor in and get to enjoying their anchorage! :)
You need to learn to appreciate the rope burn and consistent frustration of an anchor giving way just as you sit down with a tasty beverage. My father says it builds character.

I use a med/Lg fluke which has 3-4 ft of non-rubber chain. Just be careful and don't drag it on fiberglass. My smaller bell anchor has no chain.

Anchors I won't use: Mushroom, Fluke, Plow, Claw, or Grapnel. Pretty much all the standard anchors. I've had many years of trying to make Fluke (Danforth type) anchors work with much frustration.

I don't have a Box anchor but they are highly recommended by others who have them. I have a 25 pound Richter Anchor which works quite well and is 1/2 the price of the Box. I haven't used chain for years. The Richter, like the Box, is a toss it and forget it anchor. I would add 5 to 10' of chain if I thought it needed it but it doesn't. I use an Anchor Buddy rode.

All anchors will fail under a particular set of adverse conditions.

Last edited:
A box anchor is a beautiful tool to have in the boat. Chain is not used with a box anchor, the heavy steel bar takes the place of chain, and it will only end up fouling it. The exception to this is in large ocean swell, where the constant rise and fall of the boat in relation to the bottom causes the rope to lift the control arm of the box anchor over 45 degrees, and that can unearth the anchor. In a lake or even the ocean without large swell, it isn't anything more than a hindrance.

Like jdonalds said, it is possible to find conditions that will cause an anchor to unearth as well as the Richter anchor is also a set and forget anchor. And a Danforth style anchor is a fine anchor, if it is matched to the boat. The one Yamaha sells is NOT matched to the boat and is much too small and light to be a very effective anchor. And as a very cheap fluke anchor, it is hard to set in many conditions. But larger danforth anchors with better fluke control won't fit in the boat well. Fortress makes a great Danforth anchor, again it won't fit. Danforth anchors all use chain to keep waves and boat drift from lifting the shank, which can unearth the anchor.

I modified the box anchor design to fit and hang securely in the '07-'09 SR/AR/SX 230 and the 232's that fall in the same year. I took that design and built several prototypes, until I found a design that was good. I built 48 of them since 2009. I retired from making them due to lack of interest and restrictions from advertising them. They went pretty much by word of mouth. Again, they only fit the above boat, not any of the others. All of the others, you can just use the folding box anchor, which is a great anchor! I am pasting my box anchor instructions below if your interested...

I know you will love this anchor as much as me. You can experiment with setting the anchor but I find that just throwing it in upwind as the boat is slowly drifting away from where I tossed it is the best way to get a slow but deep set. When I have tried to power set it, your speed is such that it tends to bounce on the bottom instead of digging. But even if you power set it, it will dig in within 15-20 feet or so (but you will have twice the mud to get off of it!). Slide Anchor says 2 to 1 scope. I find about 3 to 1 works better or the rope entering the water at about 45 degree angle or so. The anchor tow bar works like a chain and a chain isn’t normally needed. But in the ocean with swell, you may want more scope and possibly chain. You will need to lower the anchor slowly to keep the chance of the chain fouling the towbar or the anchor to a minimum. But the only reason to use a chain with this anchor is to keep the swell from lifting it. You won’t use chain in lakes or bays or even in most ocean conditions. Also, when the wind shifts and the boat pulls back across the anchor it will lift it and reverse it, resetting on the opposite flukes. You will have a bit of mud on the flukes when it comes up. I generally tie the anchor line to a cleat, hanging about 10’ deep and move in forward idle for 2 to 3 minutes and it comes up clean. Be careful, when I have tied the anchor off too shallow, it has bounced off the hull (especially when forgotten about and I took off with it dangling!). I also use a stainless swivel on my line between it and the anchor and it helps tremendously.

This anchor and draw bar are Hot Dipped Galvanized, it is very tough and acts as a sacrificial anode, just like the zincs on your boat. It will wear and you will need to protect it. So you will have to get a little touch up paint if you want to keep it from showing rust as it wears. The Hot Dip Galvanizing company said to use cold galvanizing paint on it to keep it touched up anytime you see a scratch or any rust forming. Rustoleum makes zinc rich cold galvanizing spray as does a number of other companies. I do not know if it is available at your home center but it is available, you may just have to look for it. It is not just silver paint, it contains a high percentage of zinc. Nothing is rust proof except for stainless steel, so keep it touched up!

Pad your anchor locker or where ever you store the anchor. It is heavy and if and when you bounce across waves, if that heavy anchor bounces, those flukes will crack your floor or hull. Be sure you tighten the shackle thumb screw with pliers real good after you secure it to the anchor tow point. You can safety wire it if you so choose. You should consider getting a stainless steel swivel rated at 1500-2000 pounds, it will keep the rope from twisting! Sorry for the lengthy letter, but I wanted you to have all the info that has taken many sets of this anchor to learn about.

o_O... OK...uh ummm thanks.

In most all freshwater conditions we anchor in, a 15lb river anchor(no chain) Anchor Buddy and 100 foot of rode has got us set for 8 seasons.​

I think the biggest factor of what anchor you use and how much chain you need really comes down to where you are boating.

I can tell you that sometimes in the Ohio River the current is so strong I'm convinced anything smaller than our 14 pound danforth anchor with 4 feet of chain wouldn't work very well at all. But if we go to a small local lake it is completely overkill.

Box anchor scares me, I know its kind of a folk hero in these forums but it just looks like something designed to eat your boat.

What's nice about the box anchor is it sets itself. Also for us salty dogs if wind or tide changes the anchor will flip over and reset itself.
I have a ball and chain...Been married to her for 37 years now. :)

I took a 27" bicycle inner-tube, cut it in half at the valve stem and then use it ty-wrapped over the 5' chain as padding. I am using my reverse engineered bulawaga anchor. Like the box anchor is is self resetting. It doesn't fit in the acnchor locker. My boat survived a entire night storm of 100kmh winds and 6' swells without moving so I guess it works. I was freaking out on shore. Its worth having a good anchor you can trust for those unexpected situations. Cam.Homade Anchor.jpg

Back