• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Car Condo - Storage garage

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They seemed to be a popular option around here and there is a new one being built close to home that might be a good option for storage (boat, car, other things) and generally a cool place to have for storage.

They are all 40' deep and 20'-30' wide units, bathroom rough-in, 14'x14' garage door + service door, heated concrete floor, 100a service (200a is an option), option for a mezzanine level and a few other options to add. There is an association that covers some basics (exterior insurance, lawn/snow service, garbage, security, bylaws/rules, etc.). They have future plans for additional buildings/phases (first two buildings completed this year). A community room, wash bay and some other "community" features owners can use are planned, but won't be done for a few years from now.

Does anyone here own one, know someone that has one, or experience with something like this?

I’ve seen those advertised and it seems like a great idea but they seemed pricey in the mid-high $100k and up range here.
I had space and built one much cheaper, but that doesn’t work for everyone.

I’ve seen those advertised and it seems like a great idea but they seemed pricey in the mid-high $100k and up range here.
man that's dirt cheap now a days. I couldn't build a shop that size with those amenities around where I live. Shoooooot the land would cost 200k alone just to support something like that.

I REALLY wish those car condo things would catch on down here. However, it seems with it not being as cold people just park crap outside in storage lots for the equivalent it would cost a month for one of those condo things. People have gotten creative and found airports with hangars that are also that cheap. I haven't been able to stumble onto one that cheap around me.

Is this what you are talking about:
Yep. Here’s one of them here. Pretty fancy.

@suke mine is not as quite as large and doesn’t have a bathroom. Those price ranges and my construction were also 2019/2020 before prices totally spiked.

@suke mine is not as quite as large and doesn’t have a bathroom. Those price ranges and my construction were also 2019/2020 before prices totally spiked.
You got lucky! We're going through a renovation right now and prices are just absurd. Obviously when they're doing quotes for things that will span over several months they have a buffer added for materials going up. Some of these quotes are just highway robbery, but people will pay it so they're like you pay it or get out of the way so I can go rob the next person.

I have been looking for land that either has a storage barn/garage already built or space to build. Well that's just not happening with today's prices unless I want to look hours away from home and then it's just not worth it. So you are right, not for everyone, that's why I'm considering one of these. Since it pretty close to home I feel like I would use it more than just storage and therefore get more use/value out of it.

Agree that these can get pretty fancy/elaborate, not the direction I would go with it, but over time it could be an evolving project.
@AZMark - what size is the garage you built?

I just want one of my own on my own property lol

I have been looking for land that either has a storage barn/garage already built or space to build. Well that's just not happening with today's prices unless I want to look hours away from home and then it's just not worth it. So you are right, not for everyone, that's why I'm considering one of these. Since it pretty close to home I feel like I would use it more than just storage and therefore get more use/value out of it.

Agree that these can get pretty fancy/elaborate, not the direction I would go with it, but over time it could be an evolving project.
@AZMark - what size is the garage you built?
Mine is 50x20 as it’s all I had room for on my lot with the required zoning setbacks.

We have some that are close to us. I looked at them and they are nice. If I was going to spend 100k + , I would just build a shop on a lot. The resell would be better. The HOA was restricted to basically man caves. Way limited market for resale, plus you can do it less expensive. (edit : I just saw on their website they amended the no small businesses)

Garage Condos of OK FAQ - Garage Condos of Oklahoma

We have some that are close to us. I looked at them and they are nice. If I was going to spend 100k + , I would just build a shop on a lot. The resell would be better.
Agree with that, looking at land prices around me (like less than 1hr drive) and cost of building something comparable it actually gets close (or more) to the cost of the storage garage. Decent option to consider if land and/or building prices were lower.
There is some value to what the association brings if it all pans out in this development, getting in this early (phase 1) would be a risk if they go belly up and not build the amenities they have planned for the whole community when complete. This one does allow business to run out of the space, but I think they limit it to certain units within the complex. Not something I would use it for, but agree it would help in resale.

Back