• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Car Insurance Companies and Rates

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So now that we've bought our dd a new car, we are in the market for new insuruance. We currently have State Farm.

Currently we have: 2014 Audi Q7 and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and pay $232/month. We added the 2022 Kia Forte GT and they want $309/month for that car, so a total of $541/month

We've gotten a quote for all three cars for monthly:
  1. AAA - for $286
  2. Travelers - for $357
  3. National General $360
  4. Progressive - for $383
  5. Nationwide - $385
Anyone have any experience with AAA car insurance??? The next thing we need to look at is our deductibles...we are currently at $250 across the board....perhaps we should move that up to $500 or $1000?

I've had State Farm my whole life....but at that price....this is insane.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We set the deductibles on our three vehicles to $1,000 and never looked back. The monthly savings made a difference. While we had them on the phone we also made sure to go over how many miles each car would be driven weekly/monthly and that made a difference as well. Avoid any of the safe driver verification devices or apps. "Plug this in to your OBDII port, drive safe, and save". What they don't tell you is that if you do something they don't like, they'll hike your rates up through the roof.

Edit: Where a $1,000 deductible will bite you in the butt, like it did us with my wife's new Rav4, is with a $1,200-ish repair. Someone busted one of her side mirrors. It's filled with sensors, heaters, lights, and cameras. That wound up being just over $1,200 to fix. We wound up paying out of pocket. Still though, filing a claim, regardless of deductible will up your rates to more than erase their cost of the claim.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We set the deductibles on our three vehicles to $1,000 and never looked back. The monthly savings made a difference. While we had them on the phone we also made sure to go over how many miles each car would be driven weekly/monthly and that made a difference as well. Avoid any of the safe driver verification devices or apps. "Plug this in to your OBDII port, drive safe, and save". What they don't tell you is that if you do something they don't like, they'll hike your rates up through the roof.
Yeah....I'll bet if I change those deductibles I'd make the money back pretty quickly. Its not like I can't afford the hit. Heck, insurance is primarily for protecting us against the cost of the other things we might damage (their cars, bodies etc) - this is also why I have a $1M umbrella policy!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So now that we've bought our dd a new car, we are in the market for new insuruance. We currently have State Farm.

Currently we have: 2014 Audi Q7 and 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and pay $232/month. We added the 2022 Kia Forte GT and they want $309/month for that car, so a total of $541/month

1. AAA - for $286
  2. Travelers - for $357
  3. National General $360
  5. Nationwide - $385
Anyone have any experience with AAA car insurance??? The next thing we need to look at is our deductibles...we are currently at $250 across the board....perhaps we should move that up to $500 or $1000?

We have 4 cars with Farmers at $359/month $250 deductible on all. 2019 Chevy Silvarado, 2019 Kia Sorento, 2021 Mazda CX30 with my 20 year old daughter, 2015 Nissan Altima for 25 year old son. $500 or $1,000 deductible didnt' seem to be a great value. AAA is state based/regional and not a single nationwide insurer. I know that most rated middle of the road/below average and CSAA for California is not great. Where the rubber meets the road is claims. This might be helpful. Farmers saved us money over Allstate and we moved from Statefarm years ago as they went sky high.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah....I'll bet if I change those deductibles I'd make the money back pretty quickly. Its not like I can't afford the hit. Heck, insurance is primarily for protecting us against the cost of the other things we might damage (their cars, bodies etc) - this is also why I have a $1M umbrella policy!
Who do you have your boat insurance though?

We're going to get a quote from our folks at Progressive to possibly benefit from the multiple policy discount. They've got us for home and auto now. But, I'd guess that there are more marine specific folks in business that may offer better deals. We do plan to shop around. Wondering if you might have some suggestions.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would State Farm lower their rate to keep you?

I’ve had them my whole life as well (dad worked there for 40 years) and I’ve had several major claims and they are very easy to work with and have paid generously in my view. I’ve heard nightmares from friends trying to deal with other companies on big claims.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would State Farm lower their rate to keep you?

I’ve had them my whole life as well (dad worked there for 40 years) and I’ve had several major claims and they are very easy to work with and have paid generously in my view. I’ve heard nightmares from friends trying to deal with other companies on big claims.
We will call them and give them that option....but I fear they are so high that it wont happen (and our agent retired, so we got shoveled off to someone we don't know have never met).

@King We have our boat, house, other riders etc through State Farm (so yes, we'll lose a discount on multi items....but they are too high). I won't move the boat off State Farm until I stop doing the Bimini trip (as they cover the Bahamas - most don't).

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I won't move the boat off State Farm until I stop doing the Bimini trip (as they cover the Bahamas - most don't).
Oh, now that's interesting. Good to know. I would have assumed that everyone was the same in that aspect.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have $1000 deductible on my 2020 Tacoma. 25/50 liability because I'm financing. I know when I leased through Hyundai they wanted me to carry 100/300 liability so this maybe impacts your price.
Monthly payment $137 through geico. I've heard geico is hit or miss with their prices. I put in 1 claim in 2019 when I backed my trailer into a car. The owner was pleased that I have geico and they were easy to work with.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

1. AAA - for $286
  2. Travelers - for $357
  3. National General $360
  5. Nationwide - $385

If you do get in an accident and someone get hurts, there's two possible outcomes. Either your insurance takes care of if, or you end up in a lawsuit and then they take care of it. Statefarm/Allstate are great if you want to get involved in a lawsuit. AAA, Travelers, Nationwide are great if you don't want to get sued. Personally, I wouldn't have SF or AS if it was free.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our annual payment is $683. We use them for our $2M farm umbrella policy too, which is a lot more expensive.

74019C7B-8930-417B-96DC-6C44FF06A087.jpeg

1D12C84D-9D3F-48F5-A9C1-522737AAB1B0.jpeg

Pretty sure they use Progressive like our boats.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Statefarm/Allstate are great if you want to get involved in a lawsuit. AAA, Travelers, Nationwide are great if you don't want to get sued. Personally, I wouldn't have SF or AS if it was free.
Sorry...don't understand this. Are you saying SF & AS are good or bad?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

1. AAA - for $286
  2. Travelers - for $357
  3. National General $360
  5. Nationwide - $385

I have AAA insurance on 4 vehicles, Home, Life, Boat. Fantastic to work with. My rates don't go up after a claim, at least they never have. Easy to work with. They also insure my boat for replacement value which higher than original purchase price I paid. Plus all equipment added. Basically if my boat is stolen fully loaded, they will cover $62,000. Which is nice since I can't replace the boat for what I paid since prices jumped. Premium is $486 per year on the boat. Never had a problem with vehicles and them either. An email to my agent and everything is taken care of.

My liability coverage through is pretty high as well, 1.5 million umbrella. I keep a $500 deductible on cars and boat and $1000 on house.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would get quotes from Erie Insurance and NJM. A coworker has Erie and said they have good rates and are easier to work with. I don’t know NJM, but they are on my short list of alternatives. I currently have Amica. Excellent customer service, when I call the main office. Rates seem to go up a lot every year, but are still competitive.

I think you should consider higher deductibles. Unless you are making a claim every year it would cost you less to raise them and put an equal amount of cash in the bank, and don’t touch it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would also just pay 6 months at a time. I save $200-$300 every 6 months by doing this for two cars.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get quotes from Erie Insurance and NJM. A coworker has Erie and said they have good rates and are easier to work with. I don’t know NJM, but they are on my short list of alternatives. I currently have Amica. Excellent customer service, when I call the main office. Rates seem to go up a lot every year, but are still competitive.

I think you should consider higher deductibles. Unless you are making a claim every year it would cost you less to raise them and put an equal amount of cash in the bank, and don’t touch it.
Erie and NJM are highly rated. NJM isn't available in NC. I believe Erie is. Rates will vary greatly by state as they are regulated by the state.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you do get in an accident and someone get hurts, there's two possible outcomes. Either your insurance takes care of if, or you end up in a lawsuit and then they take care of it. Statefarm/Allstate are great if you want to get involved in a lawsuit. AAA, Travelers, Nationwide are great if you don't want to get sued. Personally, I wouldn't have SF or AS if it was free.
I was sued by a scammer as a result of a fender bender and I didn’t have to deal with anything at all with State Farm. They just notified me that it was coming and then I never did anything else. It’s just the game lawyers play.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have $1000 deductible on my 2020 Tacoma. 25/50 liability because I'm financing. I know when I leased through Hyundai they wanted me to carry 100/300 liability so this maybe impacts your price.
Monthly payment $137 through geico. I've heard geico is hit or miss with their prices. I put in 1 claim in 2019 when I backed my trailer into a car. The owner was pleased that I have geico and they were easy to work with.
Hopefully you mean 250/500k? You’re asking for bankruptcy if you only have $50k.