• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chartplotter and Imaging

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am considering installing a chart plotter / fish finder. Since my Trim tabs are going to be here on Friday it appears and the weather is getting better, I may as well de winterize and get to work on the boat. Was just going to use Navionics on a tablet but I want something more.

I figured since I was going to be back there mounting the tabs, it would be the time to get the transducer on as well and run the lines and wires together.

I have been reading up on the Garmins and Hummingbirds and Simrad. Helix, MEGA, ECHOMap, etc. I don't want to break the bank, would like to do it around $1k. Will be using it primarily on the Great Lakes and LSC as well as inland lakes.

Charts and Images as well as if possible Side Scan. Will be mounting it off to the right on my AR210, either fixed or on a RAM Mount.

Echomap 93SV looked decent, with SideVU and ClearVU UHD. Also was reading up on the Hummingbird HELIX 9 Chirp Mega

Scanned a bunch of threads here on the forums and was seeing the installs.

Looking for opinions and some advice on the different ones out there. Of course what may be right for someone may not be for someone else.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine works great ! After I added trim tabs I needed to adjust the transducer angle a little. Dependent on trim tab angle it would sometimes interfere. Transducer should be mounted on the port side. The speed paddle wheel on the Starboard side will disrupt the laminar flow across the transducer. Also the directions will say mount the transducer on the STBD side. That is incorrect on a Yamaha Jetboat. Due to the fact there is no propwash on the Port side like outboard\outdrive would cause.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good idea to do them together. I don’t have a chart plotter, but if I did it would be a Garmin. I like the 94sv, was on sale at Bass Pro/Cabelas.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well from what I am gathering, the 73/93 are for inland waters and the great lakes and the 74 and 94 are for coastal waters? Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that is what they are preloaded with and they are actually the same unit? Also if that is the case can I add coastal waters later if we decide to go to Florida or Bimini, etc. Lots of choice.

The one that I am gravitating toward in the Garmin brand is this. What about the Transducer, should I swap it out to something better for my application on my boat.

Amazon.com: Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 73sv with GT56UHD-TM Transducer, 7"" Keyed-Assist Touchscreen Chartplotter with U.S. LakeVü g3 and Added High-Def Scanning Sonar (010-02519-01)

Any info/knowledge would be much appreciated, I am in uncharted territory here.

Last edited:

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well from what I am gathering, the 73/93 are for inland waters and the great lakes and the 74 and 94 are for coastal waters? Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that is what they are preloaded with and they are actually the same unit? Also if that is the case can I add coastal waters later if we decide to go to Florida or Bimini, etc. Lots of choice.

The one that I am gravitating toward in the Garmin brand is this. What about the Transducer, should I swap it out to something better for my application on my boat.

Amazon.com: Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 73sv with GT56UHD-TM Transducer, 7"" Keyed-Assist Touchscreen Chartplotter with U.S. LakeVü g3 and Added High-Def Scanning Sonar (010-02519-01)

Any info/knowledge would be much appreciated, I am in uncharted territory here.
Looks that way. I was in the Marine electronics business a long time. Garmin is one of my favorites.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would really like to put the 93sv in, I just don't think I would have the room. :(

@motomandan did you ever move your transducer to the ride plate?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the 94SV and love it. Install is documented in the 242X link in my signature. 4=is coastal maps, 3=inland maps. Size matters....just like boats...you never say I wish I'd bought the smaller boat! LOL

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I read through your posts. Been up most of the night reading everything here I can find on it. Can coastal maps be added to the 3 down the road and vice a versa?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I read through your posts. Been up most of the night reading everything here I can find on it. Can coastal maps be added to the 3 down the road and vice a versa?
You can always buy coastal maps on a card and insert it.....but keep in mind....they aren't cheap, and only cover certain areas. You can also just load some maps in garmin via the active captain app.....not done that - so can't comment on ease/restrictions etc.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Have you looked at the Raymarine Axiom 7? I don't have 1st hand experience with them by the look pretty sleek and can be had around $800.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to do that size, but figure I better get the 9". Looked at @Julian way he mounted his and I can make mine work very similar. I wear reading glasses and the bigger the better, hate wearing when I am driving the boat.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was going to get the 93sv as well but got a great deal on the 73sv. I’m going to ram mount it on the flat surface directly forward of the throttles. Trying to decide if I should go with the 6” or 9” arm but leaning towards the 9”.

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am considering installing a chart plotter / fish finder. Since my Trim tabs are going to be here on Friday it appears and the weather is getting better, I may as well de winterize and get to work on the boat. Was just going to use Navionics on a tablet but I want something more.

I figured since I was going to be back there mounting the tabs, it would be the time to get the transducer on as well and run the lines and wires together.

I have been reading up on the Garmins and Hummingbirds and Simrad. Helix, MEGA, ECHOMap, etc. I don't want to break the bank, would like to do it around $1k. Will be using it primarily on the Great Lakes and LSC as well as inland lakes.

Charts and Images as well as if possible Side Scan. Will be mounting it off to the right on my AR210, either fixed or on a RAM Mount.

Echomap 93SV looked decent, with SideVU and ClearVU UHD. Also was reading up on the Hummingbird HELIX 9 Chirp Mega

Looking for opinions and some advice on the different ones out there. Of course what may be right for someone may not be for someone else.

I am in the process of researching much of the same equipment. There are so many options it's almost overwhelming! I also thought of just using a good tablet (Samsung Tab A), but I wanted to integrate my vhf (for the gps functions, standard horizons gx1850) and I'm not sure that can be done with a tablet.

So far, I am leaning towards either the Raymarine Axiom 9" or the Simrad GO9. Any reason you aren't considering those products? Was it just preference or capabilities? I hope to get to buying in the next day or so. I plan to post pictures and a description of what I am sure will be a fun, easy project. I mean, what could go wrong, right??

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the process of researching much of the same equipment. There are so many options it's almost overwhelming! I also thought of just using a good tablet (Samsung Tab A), but I wanted to integrate my vhf (for the gps functions, standard horizons gx1850) and I'm not sure that can be done with a tablet.

So far, I am leaning towards either the Raymarine Axiom 9" or the Simrad GO9. Any reason you aren't considering those products? Was it just preference or capabilities? I hope to get to buying in the next day or so. I plan to post pictures and a description of what I am sure will be a fun, easy project. I mean, what could go wrong, right??
That is a tough question and could bring up a lot of debate. All are strong products and unless I were able to test each in a live environment, there isn't much more I can add for you.

A lot of indecision over this search could have been alleviated if the unit was already installed and I didn't have to make a decision or if there was a clear front runner for my use case.

I have come across comments that the Garmin's side and bottom views could be the leader. Again, this is what I have read. But the field is extremely competitive so each company tries to get ahead of the others every chance they can get. If you are going through the same process I did, then you have seen all the articles I have seen.

In the end, I got the feeling to go with Garmin. The stress of the research and indecision was alleviated the moment I clicked "Buy it Now" and confirmed order. ;) Then on to new batteries was the next task at hand. It never ends.

Last edited:

JB Nonamé

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely agree!! Good luck with your install!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length