• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug won’t go in

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I couldn’t find an answer here to my question through the search. I pulled my clean out plug to spray it with silicone before I put it back in the slip after pulling it for the hurricane. Now I can’t get one of the plugs in, it must have swelled. Will putting ice on it help to get it in like it does taking it out or do I need a new plug? It won’t push down far enough to turn it.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ice doesn’t work just so you know.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This may be too obvious but I couldn't get one to go all the way in and lock in before and when it was out it, the base "twisted" and locked somehow. I grabbed the bottom with one hand and the top with the other and "unlocked" it and it went right in.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Use a scrubble pad and some dishwashing detergent. Reach down inside the tube and scrub the round metal part that the plug sits in. Make sure the keyway that the plug has to drop into and the 2 slots the plug dogs lock into are clear of debris. If you have a lot of salt or mineral buildup you may need to use a light sandpaper followed by the scrubble & dishwashing detergent. Also make sure your plug is in the UNLOCKED position before inserting it.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This may be too obvious but I couldn't get one to go all the way in and lock in before and when it was out it, the base "twisted" and locked somehow. I grabbed the bottom with one hand and the top with the other and "unlocked" it and it went right in.
Never heard of the base twisting. Do your later model boats use a different type of plug than the MR-1 models? The top and bottom of my plugs are held together by 8 screws making what you describe impossible.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use a scrubble pad and some dishwashing detergent. Reach down inside the tube and scrub the round metal part that the plug sits in. Make sure the keyway that the plug has to drop into and the 2 slots the plug dogs lock into are clear of debris. If you have a lot of salt or mineral buildup you may need to use a light sandpaper followed by the scrubble & dishwashing detergent. Also make sure your plug is in the UNLOCKED position before inserting it.
It’s in the unlocked position and I used sand paper to clean up the insert. I put an 1 1/4 wrench over the handle with a pipe through it and still couldn’t turn it. Don’t do this it eats up the handle which doesn’t feel good on your hands afterwards

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never heard of the base twisting. Do your later model boats use a different type of plug than the MR-1 models? The top and bottom of my plugs are held together by 8 screws making what you describe impossible.
This is the style I have that came out in 2017. I have never seen or held the older style to know the differences.

Attachments

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the style I have that came out in 2017. I have never seen or held the older style to know the differences.
2017 is different than the older ones. The problem has to be the rubber isn’t dropping down in properly for some reason. I can’t spin it to get it in because I loose the tab alignment.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the way I'm seeing this it looks like the two tabs are at different heights. When they drop into their respective slots in the tube you then twist to lock the plug in place? Is it possible the rubber skirt is deformed? Or there is a buildup in the tube as I mentioned earlier?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Huh....the 3rd paragraph of my review of the new plugs is rearing its ugly head:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/there-are-two-changes-to-every-boat-in-the-2017-line-up-and-one-other-change.11027/

"My only concern with this new design is what happens if you don't keep your plugs clean? I asked Yamaha about this and they said they tested it and that it is designed to be easy to twist out. I'm not convinced, and can forsee a plug twisting device in someone's future! LOL Something like a water shut off valve big T handle. Their comment...lube them and keep them clean and remove them between outings and you'll be fine."​

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s definitely the rubber deformed.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I leave them in at the slip but I silicone them every couple of weeks. I don’t have a second bilge yet so I don’t want to leave them out. The rubber is deformed so it’s catching the top side of the insert.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the way I'm seeing this it looks like the two tabs are at different heights. When they drop into their respective slots in the tube you then twist to lock the plug in place? Is it possible the rubber skirt is deformed? Or there is a buildup in the tube as I mentioned earlier?
There is actually three tabs at the same height two of which slide into grooves when you twist the handle.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh....the 3rd paragraph of my review of the new plugs is rearing its ugly head:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/there-are-two-changes-to-every-boat-in-the-2017-line-up-and-one-other-change.11027/

"My only concern with this new design is what happens if you don't keep your plugs clean? I asked Yamaha about this and they said they tested it and that it is designed to be easy to twist out. I'm not convinced, and can forsee a plug twisting device in someone's future! LOL Something like a water shut off valve big T handle. Their comment...lube them and keep them clean and remove them between outings and you'll be fine."​
I was looking for some type of handle like the shut off the other day because I was thinking the same thing. Even if you cut it down and re weld it. I thought I saw a weeding tool with claws going opposite ways a long time ago but couldn’t find it. The tool would get it out but not in. The rubber is preventing it from even dropping in the hole properly.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The current generation (2017+) cleanout plug looks alot like the first generation cleanout plug (96-99) for which such a mythical tool existed.

https://jetboatpilot.com/products/yamaha-exciter-manhole-cover-screw-in-style

pictured in middle and right pic.

Also allegedly the Lubegard 75222 product can be applied to the outside of the seized o ring to unseat it. Have not had to try that luckily.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The current generation (2017+) cleanout plug looks alot like the first generation cleanout plug (96-99) for which such a mythical tool existed.

https://jetboatpilot.com/products/yamaha-exciter-manhole-cover-screw-in-style

pictured in middle and right pic.

Also allegedly the Lubegard 75222 product can be applied to the outside of the seized o ring to unseat it. Have not had to try that luckily.
That’s definitely the idea as far as the tool. Do you know where to buy them?

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s the difference between lubgard 75200 and 75222? I ordered 75200.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-1034/Zer0+Pool+&+Spa+Lubricant

Same stuff it says just a different size bottle.

As for the tool for the 97-99 similar looking cleanout plug, it says in the disclaimer section at the very bottom there is a Yamaha branded one and a JetBoatPilot branded one. I have no physical expierence with such tools or the gen 1 or 3 cleanout plugs.

Last edited: