• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Port Re-Build <AKA the Moron marina thread!>

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi - looking for some insights. I have a 2008 232 Limited that I took into a local marina last fall to have the clean out plugs removed (they had been stuck a while). The marina disassembled the manhole covers as well as the hose. In doing so, it appears they cut into the base metal (aluminum?) piece that the hose sits in. Now this base part is broken which means I can't re-build the whole clean-out port until the base is fixed. I took the boat to the local Yamaha dealer, who said the specific part is not available for purchase. Now I'm stuck as to what to do next. Is a welder my best option? Is this part available to purchase from somewhere? What else can I do? Appreciate any help!

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my humble opinion, whoever made those cuts is guilty of a criminal act. If the boat was insured I would consider pursuing a claim. The marina really missed the mark here.

if you can find a welder willing and able tor restore function that is probably the next best option.

If you are looking for a way to get back in the water as is, you might have to device a unique way to make the plugs work. Perhaps reusing the bottom of the plug for shape, and some through pins to keep it in place? Sealing everything up? Tough situation. Best of Luck!

How are the plugs looking? Did they survive?

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks - I agree the marina should be helping solve this a bit more. Unfornatley, to get the plugs out they broke them into a bunch of pieces as well, then proceeded to cut the hose, which is where I believe they cut into the bottom metal piece. Denying responsibility. Welding sounds to be the best option at this point; just need to find someone skilled and/or creative enough to help out!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UGGGGGH ! if you keep this boat never let a local marina work on it,

what a hatchet job, somebody who clearly knew nothing, don't ever go to that shop again,

Strange that I can't find that part on the schematic in my manual,

You might could find a junk boat but that may be a hard piece to remove/replace,

New cleanout plugs are $$$ and that fitting has ALOT of pressure so if you do get someone to weld it or something make sure they understand it needs to be strong,

sorry we had to meet like this but glad to have you on board, be sure to check out our faq section and the link in my signature below for known issues with your model boat,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas , My impression is that the piece is fiberglassed in and considered part of the hull and not available as a "part" for replacement. Just a guess.

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
UGGGGGH ! if you keep this boat never let a local marina work on it,

what a hatchet job, somebody who clearly knew nothing, don't ever go to that shop again,

Strange that I can't find that part on the schematic in my manual,

You might could find a junk boat but that may be a hard piece to remove/replace,

New cleanout plugs are $$$ and that fitting has ALOT of pressure so if you do get someone to weld it or something make sure they understand it needs to be strong,

sorry we had to meet like this but glad to have you on board, be sure to check out our faq section and the link in my signature below for known issues with your model boat,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I certainly won't make that mistake again! Hoping to find a resolution and a good welder! Will keep the thread updates as this progresses....

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Scottintexas , My impression is that the piece is fiberglassed in and considered part of the hull and not available as a "part" for replacement. Just a guess.
Yes, that sounds to be the conclusion of the Yamaha Dealer here as well. The challenge is they don't know what to do with it from here -- am I sunk...?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is always a way, just need to persevere. See if you can find a skilled welder to give you his opinion.

Worst case, If it was me, you could probably bolt on some aluminum reinforcements to make it work.

Are both this way or just one?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will join in the welcome, regretting that this is how you have to kick things off.

I think you are pretty hosed here. Lots of good ideas here about repairing the aluminum, but the bottom line for me would be this: this is where the dogs fit that hold your plugs. The tolerances and integrity are critical to operation of the boat. Even when these are not cut, there have been instances where unsecured or secured plugs blew and with ugly consequences (broken hatch, disabled boat, etc.). I don't think I would even attempt a repair with welding or bracing or clamps.

I would look for a donor boat or one at a junkyard and see if you can take a sawzall and cut a cylinder (or two if needed) out of the donor. Then I would take the boat and the cylinder(s) to as good a fiberglass shop as I could find in the area. See if they can extract your mess and re-fiberglass in the new ones.

I'm not even going to start commenting on your marina...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I humbly disagree. The plug catches on the aluminum dimples only a bit. The plugs fly of because the plug mechanism closes/disengages. As long as the plug can grab hold from a solid place, you will be set.

I think it's a mistake to try to re fiberglass the whole thing and a weld or bolt on solution would be best.

Of course, this is the internet and everyone has an opinion. But I suspect there are multiple ways to make this work without breaking the boat more.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So when they pulled the plug up/possibly with a jack like most people do, the locking dogs were not disengaged and it ripped out the aluminum.....do you have the broken piece. Sheeesh!!!! if the dogs did not release and lock handle did not pop up releasing the dogs, they could have taken it apart its mostly plastic.
SORRY my tangent rant does not help . Back to do you have the broken piece? welding and a grinder may be a solution.

I think it safe to say the Marina mechanic had a bad day.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hope they didn’t charge for that “work”. The plugs alone could cost you $500 or more for a pair.

Consider removing the tube between the clean out tray and pump entirely, surrounding the broken area with an SS hose clamp and seeing if you can secure the plug against the clamp without filling the gap left by the missing pieces. If it works use jBP weld or weld the clamp in place.

please share the name and location of the marina that did this so your fellow jet boaters know where not to go.

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There is always a way, just need to persevere. See if you can find a skilled welder to give you his opinion.

Worst case, If it was me, you could probably bolt on some aluminum reinforcements to make it work.

Are both this way or just one?
Fortunately just one of the plugs has the damage; the other one should be re-built and sealed easily enough once the parts come in.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Lawyer time!!! @swatski right? ;)

Or an insurance claim.

(Only after you try swapping the spark plugs first)

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I will join in the welcome, regretting that this is how you have to kick things off.

I think you are pretty hosed here. Lots of good ideas here about repairing the aluminum, but the bottom line for me would be this: this is where the dogs fit that hold your plugs. The tolerances and integrity are critical to operation of the boat. Even when these are not cut, there have been instances where unsecured or secured plugs blew and with ugly consequences (broken hatch, disabled boat, etc.). I don't think I would even attempt a repair with welding or bracing or clamps.

I would look for a donor boat or one at a junkyard and see if you can take a sawzall and cut a cylinder (or two if needed) out of the donor. Then I would take the boat and the cylinder(s) to as good a fiberglass shop as I could find in the area. See if they can extract your mess and re-fiberglass in the new ones.

I'm not even going to start commenting on your marina...
Thanks for the insights! I was having the donor boat/salvage yard idea, but was coming up short with finding an exact match. Do you know of any good websites to search for a donor or junkyard parts match? Or... is it more luck of the draw? Thanks again for the welcome!

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Lawyer time!!! @swatski right? ;)

Or an insurance claim. Preferably against the marina policy.

(Only after you try swapping the spark plugs first)
Thanks - spoke to an attorney yesterday who was helpful, but concluded that small claims court would be our quickest and best option for retribution. We may pursue that if we don't come up with any solutions for a repair.

Don Briere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had another thought I wanted to run by the group as well (trying to think creatively here). What would happen if a welder sanded down/leveled out the base metal/aluminum piece and then simply sealed that hole off permanently. To my unskilled eye, the cleanout ports are a convenience should you ever suck something up. If they were simply closed off and something was stuck, wouldn't I be able to do it the old fashioned way and get under the boat to clear the obstruction? Trying to think outside the box here and wondering if that may be an option. I assume that would be an easier welding job. Thanks.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had another thought I wanted to run by the group as well (trying to think creatively here). What would happen if a welder sanded down/leveled out the base metal/aluminum piece and then simply sealed that hole off permanently. To my unskilled eye, the cleanout ports are a convenience should you ever suck something up. If they were simply closed off and something was stuck, wouldn't I be able to do it the old fashioned way and get under the boat to clear the obstruction? Trying to think outside the box here and wondering if that may be an option. I assume that would be an easier welding job. Thanks.
Sealing the clean out port would work.....Scarabs don't have them. It would reduce the value of your boat (so that small claims court is a good idea no matter what the end result! Who ever did this work should be paying, and hunting for the parts to make it right! This is absolute bullshit! If you want 500 of your best Yamaha experts to testify on your behalf, or join you on a trip to this marina - we'd be happy to help!!!!! What f'ing MORONS!

It is hard to tell from the one image, but it looks like the lower rim is undamaged (where the bottom of the plug sits). So one approach might be to cut a new line up notch, and 2 new dog catch holes. I will say that none of the "fixes" will be great. What I would do is tell the Marina:
  1. Order a new pump housing (the part they damaged).
  2. Pay for a Yamaha dealer to replace the housing when the part comes in
  3. Never touch my boat again!

In the meantime, when you get your new lower plug repair kit, just glue the lower plug portion into the current hole (don't glue the top in too - you can use that later and they are expensive - then you just need to buy one new lower repair kit when you have the swap done).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve seen a Yamaha jet boat in which the owner sealed the plugs in place with epoxy. It can be done. I only saw the boat once. At the top of the boat ramp on its trailer with half of a tow line wrapped around the shaft and the other half of the line sticking out of the intake grate. Their day on the water was over as they planned to pull the pump to remove the line. I don’t know if they could have removed the line through the clean out port but they were bummed they didn’t have the option. They bought the boat used with the plugs already sealed in place.

check copart for a donor boat sometimes they come up but o doubt you will find one for less than a few thousand dollars.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have the pieces a good (aluminum)welder could do it. Even without the pieces it can be cut back to clean edges and weld in a patch you have a good side that all measurements can come from...................BUT like others have said small claims court gives you the money this LABOR INTENSIVE project will require..