• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout Access?

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I sucked up my fishing line yesterday. Thought I had a big one on!
I was able to get it all out after quite a while of cutting and pulling through the clean-out plug. I had my Kershaw knife but it was a little big for the smallish clean-out tube.
This made me wonder... I hear about people having to get in the water to clear the jam, but there is the intake grate and no access to the shaft anyways.
So the only way out of trouble is through the clean-out hole???

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup...the only way (with a Yamaha) is via the clean out port. Non-Yamahas will have to swim or put it on the trailer. A box cutter like the one below is helpful (and safer) in these situations (which reminds me I've been meaning to buy one):

SgtBFGunner

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Perfect thanks. Thought I was missing something. So if you drop the knife it lands ontop of the great and you can get it back, hopefully. (I'm in the ocean where we become part of the foodchain sometimes.)
It's a bitch trying to maintain control of the boat while casting and reeling. So it gets out of hand and next thing you know you suck up your line. There are some might big fish in the Gulf of Mexico.
Seeing the dolphins is pretty awesome too.
Thanks again!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can improve (some) the straight line tracking by adding one of the 2 types of after market fins. But tracking is one of the draw backs of a jet boat...no big skeg in the water to act as a massive rudder.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sucked up my fishing line yesterday. Thought I had a big one on!
I was able to get it all out after quite a while of cutting and pulling through the clean-out plug. I had my Kershaw knife but it was a little big for the smallish clean-out tube.
This made me wonder... I hear about people having to get in the water to clear the jam, but there is the intake grate and no access to the shaft anyways.
So the only way out of trouble is through the clean-out hole???
You can get access to the shafts from underneath also through the grates and if you drop your knife from the top it would probably fall through unless it’s big and your lucky. I have a 240 and I can see the shafts from the bottom I would imagine yours is the same way.

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm going to pick up one of those and keep in the glove box. Great call