• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext GPS has stopped working. Dealer deciding to replace.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wondering if anyone has run into this. I've already taken to dealer since still under warranty and they're saying "electrical issue" with the instrument package and decided it needs to be replaced. I've been warned 10+ days to process the warranty claim, get parts, etc. I took the boat back though. Sure I care about MPH but not enough to give up labor day weekend.

Pretty sure the Connext (7") uses GPS speed. Between outings "something" has happened and now the GPS, elevation, and MPH are showing zeros. Everything else seems OK. Also, another weird thing is the clock no longer functions. I can set it but it does not move forward keeping time and stays at whatever I have originally set.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pretty sure the Connext (7") uses GPS speed. Between outings "something" has happened and now the GPS, elevation, and MPH are showing zeros. Everything else seems OK. Also, another weird thing is the clock no longer functions. I can set it but it does not move forward keeping time and stays at whatever I have originally set.
Seems about right - GPS provides all of that info to the Connext system, so if GPS is not working then it won't update the time either as it syncs time with the satellite signal. I don't think this is a common failure...I haven't seen many complaints about the Connext system.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just wondering if anyone has run into this. I've already taken to dealer since still under warranty and they're saying "electrical issue" with the instrument package and decided it needs to be replaced. I've been warned 10+ days to process the warranty claim, get parts, etc. I took the boat back though. Sure I care about MPH but not enough to give up labor day weekend.

View attachment 104033
Mine has been going out intermittently for the last year. Dealer says they fixed it....still not fixed. Frustrating.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Mine has been intermittently going out like Julian’s too. Just started this year, same 2016 242x.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mine has been intermittently going out like Julian’s too. Just started this year, same 2016 242x.
Wow...I mention I didn't see too much and all this shows up.
:wideyed:
Maybe something Yamaha should look at... ?

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow...I mention I didn't see too much and all this shows up.
:wideyed:
Maybe something Yamaha should look at... ?
Another data point. I’ve been having intermittent GPS issues as well. The one time I took it to the dealer, it, of course, worked and they did nothing. Currently not working. Argh!! Most frustrating is that I can’t use any of the speed controls for water sports when it’s inoperable.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another data point. I’ve been having intermittent GPS issues as well. The one time I took it to the dealer, it, of course, worked and they did nothing. Currently not working. Argh!! Most frustrating is that I can’t use any of the speed controls for water sports when it’s inoperable.
Can you take a pic or make a video of it when it happens and show the dealer? A picture or video proves there's an issue.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update, Oct 26th.

Connext sent back to Yamaha. Boat sat at dealer for 4 weeks with nothing happening, no replacement parts, nothing. They went ahead and winterized since its getting into the 20's F at night now. Dealer asked me to take the boat since they don't have room to hold it anymore and they'll call me when they have parts. So, I took it back to storage.

Boat is under YES warranty. Personally I think this is crap and I want to complain to Yamaha. Dealer seems to be giving me the run around when I ask questions. They have no idea. What a frustrating experience.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update, Nov 10th.

Still nothing from Yamaha or dealer. Really want to call Yamaha YES and yell at them.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine will be going to the dealer for this to be repaired soon (it can stay there all winter as far as I'm concerned).

@W3bexec if I were you, I would take it to the dealer and say....return it when it is fixed. Alternative is to get the number for your regional Yamaha Support manager.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Alternative is to get the number for your regional Yamaha Support manager.
Either the dealer's manager or this above would be my choice - front line support and customer service are just following a script on a computer screen, just like any other company where 99% of the questions are easily answered. Once you get past them you get to people who care about your issues.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got a call yesterday that the connext is in/back whatever. Luckily had time this morning to drop the boat off and let them work on it.

Thankfully under warranty. Geez.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm waiting to see what my dealer comes up with on my GPS issue. I gave it to them last year to fix the same issue, they claimed they fixed it, but when I got it back it was still acting up. Intermittently it would show GPS ERR. The impact of this was that if you used the launch/speed controls it would work, but then once it locked in the speed, it would occasionally lose connection and the speed would dip, then return, then dip/return etc.

I have my fingers crossed that they will fix it properly this winter!

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got the boat summerized and yesterday went for the first day out of the season. New head unit appears to work fine, GPS and speed back to normal. But.... I noticed my engine hours appear to have reset to 0. Finally noticed at the end of the day, after switching screens, to see what the fuel economy was.