• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Covers

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Yamaha cover has come to the end of its 2 year life. I'm a bit upset that a $600 cover is deteriorating so quick, but it is in the sun all day all year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new cover? My boat will be sitting unused for 7 months while I deploy this summer and I'd like it to be protected without worry. And last longer than 2 years.

I bought up a few Yamaha Factory shipping covers. I use them as storage covers and the expensive mooring/trailering cover just for towing. I'm sure somebody makes a cover that would work for storage and not cost as much. But when it comes to towing, I'd stick with either the factory one or a custom one. Aftermarket ones tend to just puff up and flap in the wind when going 70.

#itsdgm Were are you getting you shipping covers? I love to get my hands on a few if them for long term,is winter, cover.

#itsdgm Were are you getting you shipping covers? I love to get my hands on a few if them for long term,is winter, cover.
I search on ebay and I happened to find one locally on Craigslist. Sometimes the dealers have them laying around. Apparently some dealers just throw them away, probably because they want to sell a mooring cover with the boat. Every now and then a dealer will find one taking up space and put it on ebay.

Has anyone had any experience with Top Gun Marine Canvas? I'm thinking of having a cover made and am not sure what is the best and will last in the wind, rain and never ending sun of Hawaii.

@ShooterDiesel 2 years is unnacceptable! The shortest mine has lasted is 4 years, and it sits outside under it all the time. Any thoughts on why it didn't last longer?

Go get a price on a custom Sunbrella cover from your local upholstery shop. It will last the life of the boat and add a selling point that the new owners won't have to waste money on a cover every 3-4 years.

Jetboatpilot use to offer a cover with sunbrella material, bungee strap design instead of racket strap, and zipper open backside. Was expensive but got good reviews and looked very high quality. I was planning a purchasing one in the future if they made them again (hint).

@ShooterDiesel 2 years is unnacceptable! The shortest mine has lasted is 4 years, and it sits outside under it all the time. Any thoughts on why it didn't last longer?
Mine only lasted 2 years as well. I figured because of the Florida sun. I should have left the shipping cover on and only used it for towing. Live and learn. I have the shipping cover on now. Not sure what I am going to do before I tow to the keys. Buy another cover or tow without.

I have Yamaha's deluxe premium mooring cover and there is absolutely no sign of it going bad. Also I bet what part of the country you are in has a lot to do with it.

I'd be interested in a Jet Boat Pilot cover as well. My cover is literally turning to powder, you can poke a hole in any spot with your finger when it is taught on the boat. I haven't had the boat more then a hundred yards from launching so have never had to tow with a cover, but the constant wind, rain and sun of windward hawaii has done her in. My first shipping cover didn't breath enough in the humidity and was a health hazard with all the mildew that grew on it. I'll be looking for a shop to custom build one if Will can't.

@ShooterDiesel Top Gun is good fabric but not nearly as high end as Sunbrella. The cost to us was about half of Sunbrella but did not have the fade resistance and breathability of the Sunbrella.

We would love to continue making our covers but the cost to build was too high to make it make sense.

Thanks Will. I'll take go with Sunbrella. I know most of us who have purchased from you are sold on your customer service/product quality and will continue to support your store because of that.

I believe the reason that Yamaha does not use Sunbrella for its covers is that Sunbrella is not chafe resistant and therefore would not be suitable for trailering - the material that is used unfortunately is chafe resistant but degrades quite quickly in the sun. Life is a series of trade offs!

Thanks Will. I'll take go with Sunbrella. I know most of us who have purchased from you are sold on your customer service/product quality and will continue to support your store because of that.

Were you asking to buy a cover? Not sure if I understood your post.

Believe it or not, my 05 SX230 cover has lasted til now. Went to pull it this weekend and the material tore at the back cleat. I have had it restitched several times over the years with vinyl patches to strenthen the cleat areas. It is just rotted now. I will purchase a new mooring cover this year when funds come available. Just damn!

photo 2.JPG I just bought a custom cover from Dallas Canvas and I bought the top of the line Sunbrella fabric. I believe it is 9.5 oz. material and comes with a 10 year warranty. I can honestly say when you roll it up it weighs about 3X what the stock Yamaha cover weighed. They also installed a rachet system on the sides. Also I do not miss the cleat holes on the cover. I thought I would but not really, and it's less access for spiders and bugs. They Sewed in tabs along the edges so if I wanted to trailer with the cover I could tie it down to the trailer for extra support. They also sewed in a reinfoced vinyl on the underside at all rub points, namely the windshield. Also included, and I did not even realize were 3 anti pooling poles that are telescopic and can be set to any height. They sewed in a reinforced vinyl pad on the underside of the cover and installed a snap. On the top of the anti pooling poles is a male snap. So all you do is snap the pole into the cover, and the rubber foot on the pole stays in place on the boat. I doubt I will use this feature much, but if you store your boat outside it is pretty darn slick system. No straps or anything.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 7
BigN8 can I ask how much the Sunbrella cover cost at Dallas Canvas?

Since you are leaving it untouched for 7 months have you looked into getting it shrink wraped? Thank you for your service and take care on your deployment.

Back