• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Crusty Bottom Boaters Club

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He are a couple of pics of what my Sunday is composed of. Cleaning the Father n laws boat. This is what we call "Spider Algae". 6 weeks in the wet slip...
IMG_20140817_104903_265.jpg IMG_20140817_104851_659.jpg IMG_20140817_104840_233.jpg

Looks like fun. What is your approach to getting it clean, how long does it take, how often do you do it, etc.?

If he keeps it wet that long and longer, I would bottom paint that boat. That's not fun cleaning that mess!

EWWWW. . . . . I know it varies from water body to water body. . . . but I was in for over 2 months and barely have anything on mine.

EWWWW. . . . . I know it varies from water body to water body. . . . but I was in for over 2 months and barely have anything on mine.
Hmmm..... Nope! I'm not touching it.

Noooo! Not his....ya know. Ah crap. Never mind.

Think I would try pressure washing.

Oh man.... We've been in the water since April, and haven't taken it out of the water once. I may have to take a week's vacation just to scrub the bottom...

I call it "Eco-friendly Keel Guard".

That is what the bottom of my boat would look like when I'd take her out....then I got tired of all the cleaning (started paying the marina to do it)...then I got tired of paying to have it cleaned and bought the air dock!

This was unusually bad.. It took 8 hours today With both of us on it.
Step1
Power wash ..this knocks off the Carpet.
Step 2
We tried our normal car soap and Starbrite hull cleaner. Brush it on and scrub like hell.. It took the brown stain off and all but the concreted parts. But stopped there. It usually gets it all off.But not this time..
Step 3
We spent the rest of the afternoon on our backs with Scotchbrite pads and FSR..scrubbing every inch of that hull...PITMFA....

I'm beat.

@SCSTWG . In the spring up till July we can keep boats in the wet slip for a month at a time before we pull them and there is only some mud stain. But when the water heats up..we have to pull every two weeks or you can expect the dreaded "Black Spider Algae".
On the clean up..we have tried everything and the only thing that will touch it is Star- Brite Hull cleaner. Normally adds about 30 minutes to a normal wash down.

Fugly! Did you clean this while it sat on the trailer?

Does a white hull attract more of this type of build up? OR Is it equal on white and black hulls and black hulls just hide it better?

Did you poser wash within 15 min of hauling it out. Makes all the difference. Once it dries out you have a problem

I try to clean some of it while its in the water at my local sand bar. Then I immediately wash it when it comes out while its still wet. I also use the starbrite stuff, I can get the hull clean in an hour or so.

@Lspeedss Is this up on Kerr/Bugs Island? If so. any issues with a boat being in for 3 days (max). I will be up there Labor Day weekend camping and plan to leave the boat in.
Yep in Buggs. 3days... You will have no issues. The sitting still in the slip piles the stuff on. Like during the week. The more you run the boat the less builds up. Some creeks are worse than others.. Problem is much less worrisome down river. You will be fine. Let me know when your out on Buggs. Maybe we can meet up. Where you camping?
Steve

Does a white hull attract more of this type of build up? OR Is it equal on white and black hulls and black hulls just hide it better?
It attaches to any surface. Aluminum as well. Cannot let your boat sit for extended periods during late summer.

Back