• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

DE Boat Registration vs. Boat Ramp Certificate

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is registered in PA. Does anyone know if I want to boat in Deleware whether I have to register it in Deleware or is the other option to just buy a Deleware Boat Ramp Certificate since I have it registered for the state where it is principally used?

I read the laws on the website but I can't make heads or tails of it. I will call one of the public agent offices but I thought someone here may know the answer.

Almost certain that registration in one state will cover you in every state. But individual states may add their own safety requirements that you might have to meet.

Almost certain that registration in one state will cover you in every state. But individual states may add their own safety requirements that you might have to meet.
Total agreement with @Julian.
Consider all of the Yachts parked in Ft. Lauderdale for example. They show home ports in R.I, Mass, Wash, DC, N.Y., and tons more places.
And as a little hint some of y'all might wanna consider: MANY boaters who KNOW the rules, register their boat in a state DIFFERENT from where they live and boat to save on either registration fees and/or yearly taxes.

Hoping this helps clear this up as little. Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

My 1 cent

No registration required in another state as long as its registered in the state where is kept (trailer boats). The ramp fee / registration is separate and required depending on the ramp requirements. Maryland has a list of all ramps and their requirements. Delaware may have the same thing. (Google-it)

I basically live just below the DE line in MD and we go back and forth into DE waters (by boat) and our MD registration has been just fine. I have never used a DE ramp so I don't know what they require but there are private ramps just over the line in DE that only require you pay a nominal fee. One is even self serve with an automatic gate that you put a credit card in.

I believe you should be fine with your PA registration.

All states have reciprocity for registration unless you exceed a certain number of days use in the state. The norm is 60 calendar days in a year. Looks like Deleware is 60 CONSECUTIVE days so you are fine for less than 2 months of straight use, assuming that could be proved. If you meet that threshold, you are a lucky boater to get on the water that often!

From http://www.dmv.org/de-delaware/boat-registration.php#DE-Registration-Exemptions-

DE Registration Exemptions
You do not need to register your boat if:

• You are not a resident of Delaware.
  • Your boat or other vessel is registered in another state.
    AND
  • You will be using your out-of-state boat/vessel on Delaware's waterways 60 consecutive days or less.

Thank you all and I think I may only need a boat ramp certificate to use DE ramps while my PA registration is all I need for the registration laws (use < 60 days as mentioned above). Someone I was talking to probably used Ramp "registration" interchangeably with registration which confused me.

I will call and verify this when applying for the boat ramp certificate. Thanks again

I am thinking the Christiana River will be thawed and ready sooner than my usual lake(s) which are still reporting to be iced over. Soon

I live in Pennsylvania and the last 3 boats I have owned were registered in Delaware. I trailer my boat to Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey waters and have never had a problem. For me, I declare that my primary use is in the Delaware waters. As long as you do not keep the boat at a marina in a non-registered state for more than a few weeks, then you will not have a problem. As an example, those who buy a boat in any state and register it in Delaware (no tax) and then put it at a marina in Maryland for the summer will find a Tax bill from Maryland at their door step. Each state is looking for tax revenue!! There is no sales tax in Delaware. I think you get the drift!

Mine is registered it in CT (where I live). I have taken it in Long Island, RI, NH, and VT. While in VT we went across the border into Canada up the Richelieu river. I stopped at Canadian Customs on the way up and US Customs on the way back. Have yet to have an issue.

Thank you all and I think I may only need a boat ramp certificate to use DE ramps while my PA registration is all I need for the registration laws (use < 60 days as mentioned above). Someone I was talking to probably used Ramp "registration" interchangeably with registration which confused me.

I will call and verify this when applying for the boat ramp certificate. Thanks again

I am thinking the Christiana River will be thawed and ready sooner than my usual lake(s) which are still reporting to be iced over. Soon

Correct.

Ramp certificate and registration are two different things. Your PA registration will be fine, but you will likely want to get the ramp certificate. It is usually a sticker that goes on your trailer. Same thing exists in New Jersey if you want to use the state boat ramps. If you don't have the ramp certificate you can come back to a ticket on your vehicle.

I don't think GA has a ramp certification but they do require the boat registration and base it on the primary water the boat is used on.

Back