• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dead on side of road - bad trailer hub I85 GA/AL border HELP?

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
B9CFFD90-E7B7-4D5E-BA20-3C009C4D7CAB.png A9FE658F-C5D5-4D79-963F-A9D15F29FBDA.jpeg @HELP not on the water but on I-85 at the Georgia/Alabama border and I lost a trailer hub and tire. Anybody nearby that can assist?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joshua Miller - do you have the stock trailer that came with the boat? shorelander or MFI ?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Scottintexas I seen his post now it is gone. He should have an MFI trailer if stock.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Moved this to its own thread for more visibility.....hope someone can help ya!

Do you have BoatUS or towboat insurance? They cover trailer issues as well. Your auto insurance policy may also cover trailering.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Moved this to its own thread for more visibility.....hope someone can help ya!

Do you have BoatUS or towboat insurance? They cover trailer issues as well. Your auto insurance policy may also cover trailering.
I’m on the phone with GEICO right now. They are going to tow us.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would emery cloth the axle and put the new bearings on there. It should be fine. Of course I can't see everything there.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Guys I have about eight miles to a boat ramp to get the boat off and take the trailer to a shop. Am I risking too much towing it eight miles?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Go slow, but in your situation I would try it. I assume you are trying to get out of the path........

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I might just unhook and drive over to the NAPA to see what they could sell you, I would choose napa over an autozone or similar because our napa's usually have more experienced people who have a clue,

not knowing what the roads are like to the boat ramps, train tracks, etc...

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Absolutely go the 8 miles easy. When your trailer is in the shop have them pull all wheels and check the bearings. Don't want a repeat on the way home.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The bottom of the spindle usually takes the brunt of it .

check for a local RV or trailer store nearby they usually stock bearings call mfi for the bearing #

Emery cloth polish it out coarse medium then fine
new wheel hub
new bearings

this will get you going

its the axle with no brake? easy job on that one

or whole new axle

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I 3 wheel towed home from the lake after getting hit by a car leaving Texoma one year. It was about 100 miles. We ratchet strapped the axle up to allow the single wheel on that side to carry the load. You should be fine to go that short of a distance.

Boat doesn't have to be off the trailer to fix the hub either so if the shop isn't much farther just keep going.

Good luck!

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Damn...I'm usually 35 min away from that area but I'm out of the country right now or I would roll down there and help.

1 more exit down is the town of West Point Ga/Lanett AL. We go to the marine on that exit. They should have a NAPA store there. Don't know where it is since we haven't used them. Sorry not much help from here.

Are you going to Southern Harbor Marine? Thats where we go. From your map position the roads r good to there. Never mind I see they are towing you. Plenty of garages etc in that area to help you out. Good luck.

I'm back home this tomorrow (Friday) if you need any thing I may be able to help with. Shoot me a PM. I'm 45min- 1hr north of you on I-85. Will be airborne most of tonight until tomorrow till about noon.

on a lighter note, get gas in AL...It's abut 25-35 cents cheaper a gallon than in GA. We top off every time we are down there.

Last edited:

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
F9EB6C1C-24FD-492E-AEDD-BE31D2A82F50.jpeg Thanks for all the help. My situation now is I got the boat in a slip at southern harbor marina —trailer made it the eight miles. Guy at another marina gave me a POC at Tech Tire in La Grange that will be able to fix it. Right now the tire and hub assy is somewhere on the side of the interstate near the KIA plant so I’m going to look for it. I’ll have the shop replace both hubs on the front axle.

Helluva a day but thank god this happened near a lake. GEICO wasn’t able to tow it since the tower was too high.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice job! I didn't even try!IMG_7226[1].jpg