• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dealer asking for $1,700 in prep and delivery fee. Is this normal?

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello again and 2nd post here in the past 10 minutes. As I am looking to get into an AR190/195 (have not decided yet), my local dealer is asking for a $1,700 prep and delivery fee on top of the advertised pricing from Yamaha official site. This seems excessive to me? Any experience from you guys here what is acceptable a dealer to charge for this service? Thank you.

Captbob

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find another dealer. I have had 6 different boats and never paid a prep fee and delivery. The dealer is living in the 1960"s.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a dealer quote me $2400 to prep a 212LS ~2 years ago, passed on that. Prep is usually nothing more than putting batteries in, testing the engines and giving the boat a quick bath. Any prep fee should be under $500 and for that you should be getting a starter kit (life jackets, ropes, fenders, ect). Don't be afraid to shop around or better yet find a slightly used boat in the classifieds and save a ton. My 2 cents.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's dumber than dogshit. Don't pay any fees to buy a boat...ever.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello again and 2nd post here in the past 10 minutes. As I am looking to get into an AR190/195 (have not decided yet), my local dealer is asking for a $1,700 prep and delivery fee on top of the advertised pricing from Yamaha official site. This seems excessive to me? Any experience from you guys here what is acceptable a dealer to charge for this service? Thank you.
Glad to have you on board, update your profile page with your location and it will show on your posts,

What dealer are you talking to ?
I would call another dealer and ask what their policy/price is,

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Hi,

Keep to your senses as they are smoking crack. Shop around but you may find they are not discounting as there will be no more 2020 going to dealers this year, so dealers are standing firm
I'm in process of getting my SX 190 and got boat for 31500 and paid OTD right over 34400. The difference was tax and whatever other fee.
Hope this helps.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer "waived" the $500 "setup fee" on my '17 AR190 as a way to make the sale.

All the did was install the battery (in a less than ideal location), add some fuel, gave it a bath, and took the plastic off everything for me. Owner spent ~90min with us going over the boat, how to setup the bimini, how the cover worked etc.

The 190/195's are REALLY simple boats. There isn't much to them, and as such the setup fee shouldn't be more than ~$200 IMO. That number is $100 for a battery, and $100 for 90min shop labor to pay a guy to unwrap everything and clean it up. $1,700 for prep on a 19ft Yamaha is a clear money grab IMO.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As others have said, shop around. I got my 212x at $2k under list including dealer prep which was very little. This was about this time of year in 2017

Olsonn20

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I paid that is prep but also got 4k off sticker for the boat show so 🤷‍♂️

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm, that changes things to some degree then. I’d still squeeze the heck out of him on the prep. There’s not much for them to do. Maybe live with $500 of prep if you have to.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you folks, appreciate the quick responses, really awesome group here. I'm in Indiana by the way (I looked back at my profile and I still don't have a place to edit my location, just avatar. Probably when I get a few more posts here). I'll shop around Cincinnati and Louisville dealers as well but exactly what I thought, it really sounded excessive. Just keep in mind he is not saying it's only dealer prep, he is bundling "delivery charge from Yamaha + prep" which I still think it's too much anyway. Thanks a lot. I still think I'm a long way from getting this boat but it will happen.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dealer prep fees are an interesting topic. For the most part, the dealer is going to have to prep your boat no matter what happens. Some of those costs are things they cannot avoid, like buying the battery (as they don't come from the factory with a battery-because Yamaha doesn't know when the boat will be delivered to a customer - same for a fire extinguisher). They have to assemble the trailer etc. The bigger the boat, the more prep and check out there is.

I paid a prep fee for my boat (but I got a killer deal on it which all balanced out).

If you think you aren't paying for the prep, you are mistaken - their costs are in there, they just bundled it in to your price. Yes, on occasion a dealer sells at a loss - but until recently not often.

I was ok with them having it as a line item as I was very clear with them on what I expected as part of that fee:
  1. Full water test of the boat and all its functions (242X).
  2. 2 Batteries, installed and wired properly
  3. Fire Extinguisher
  4. Clean boat
The full water test exercised everything in the boat. After it was delivered the dealer called me to tell me they were working with Yamaha because during #1 above they found:
  1. Stereo wasn't working properly
  2. Solar panels weren't working
  3. Ballast system wasn't filling properly
I was glad they were transparent with all of the above, and they discovered the boat was wired wrong at the factory. It was a brand new 2016 242X first model year. I was much happier to have them find the issues, and they paid very close attention (and QUICKLY) to getting my boat fixed ASAP, as I was able to say to them...."I paid your prep fee to ensure you took care of me".

Now $1700 for a 190 series boat? That is excessive.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would flat out ask the dealer what is involved in preparation that would cost $1700. In my opinion a battery should come with the boat at no additional charge. You don’t go buy a car off the dealership lot without a battery installed. A fire extinguisher has to be on every boat so it is The same as a battery & you shouldn’t be charged extra
Just my .02

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'd ask him to separate the delivery (charged by Yamaha to deliver the boat to the dealer, varies based on distance) versus the prep fee. If you feel lucky, ask them to see it on their invoice (I doubt they'll do that, buying 8 vehicles I only ever had one dealer willing to show me invoice). If it makes you feel any better, I paid CAD 3000 for prep & delivery to BC. It was my experience while shopping that some dealers advertise low prices then add fees, others advertise higher prices but include the factory's deliviery fee.

Delivery costs the dealer about $1 per mile from the factory (WAG).

Last edited:

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thank you folks, appreciate the quick responses, really awesome group here. I'm in Indiana by the way (I looked back at my profile and I still don't have a place to edit my location, just avatar. Probably when I get a few more posts here). I'll shop around Cincinnati and Louisville dealers as well but exactly what I thought, it really sounded excessive. Just keep in mind he is not saying it's only dealer prep, he is bundling "delivery charge from Yamaha + prep" which I still think it's too much anyway. Thanks a lot. I still think I'm a long way from getting this boat but it will happen.
Where are your from in Indiana, I am in Fishers. Just bought a bought from Just Add Water last week, I assume that is where you are shopping if you're in Central Indiana?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would expand your search to include St Charles Boat & Motor in St Louis, as well. I’ve had very good relationships with them. Call and talk to Jerry.

Any dealer will service your warranty issues. True, they may not prioritize you over an owner that bought from them. But, they should realize if the service dept treats you right they may earn the sale next time. I never had any trouble getting my first boat serviced (purchased private party). Guess I’m saying that I wouldn’t feel bad buying elsewhere and having your local shop service it.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Lexington Kentucky is probably further than you want to go but I know Stokleys Marine has a number of 2020 Yamaha on the lot. They will not discount but they will throw in the mooring cover or discounted 1st service or what not.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are your from in Indiana, I am in Fishers. Just bought a bought from Just Add Water last week, I assume that is where you are shopping if you're in Central Indiana?
Hi there. Greenwood here. Nice that we are close. Did you get a Yamaha as well at JAWB?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi there. Greenwood here. Nice that we are close. Did you get a Yamaha as well at JAWB?
Oh cool. I just moved from Greenwood up here last June. Ya I did, but I got an '18 AR195 from them, so there was obviously no additional fees since it was used