• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dealer gouge

Mel, that's a real good price actually.

I shop at O'Reilly's occasionally too, but I'm technically lazy so I try to do most of my shopping on-line. I found the plugs on Amazon for $3.79 and the filters (K&N) for $10.79 and the oil for $30.37 total came to $89.66 ($74.33 after rewards points) delivered to my door. Nice thing about Amazon is the two-day delivery with Prime. I've had stuff delivered to me all over the place. Once in Utah I lost a memory card for the video camera and for an extra $2.99 they delivered next day cheaper than I could find anywhere around me.

As for dealers, they run a business and you can't blame them for having to stick to a certain margin. They have to deal with all the BS most states and local municipalities put them through. All the EPA regulations, taxes, permits....don't get me going. Then on top of that they have employees and HEALTH INSURANCE (really don't want to light a fire under that topic!) it's a tough business. A good dealer is priceless, just like a good car mechanic. When I take my vehicles in for repair I don't work him over on the price. If I do the work myself - its my time and I'd usually rather be doing something else. So the choice is always there.

"I shop at O'Reilly's occasionally too, but I'm technically lazy so I try to do most of my shopping on-line. I found the plugs on Amazon for $3.79 and the filters (K&N) for $10.79 and the oil for $30.37 total came to $89.66 ($74.33 after rewards points) delivered to my door. Nice thing about Amazon is the two-day delivery with Prime. I've had stuff delivered to me all over the place. Once in Utah I lost a memory card for the video camera and for an extra $2.99 they delivered next day cheaper than I could find anywhere around me."

Pretty soon @Glassman Amazon will be able to smart bomb your order down your chimney with their fleet of drones. :winkingthumbsup"

I was thinking last time I bought filters from the dealer, they were only $10 and change...yes, here it is...
View attachment 4610
Combined with my spark plugs from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, my parts were only about $90 for 6 qt Yamalube, 2 yamaha filters, and 8 spark plugs. The plugs at PD were not outrageous, but still around $7 each vs $3.76 at the auto parts store. Now on the 240's, they use a different filter and spark plug, so I am not certain as to the cost on those. But all dealers are not gouging their clients, although dealer costs are higher than discount stores. I have to say, I have received expert advice from my dealer too on many things, but they don't know everything. We for example, have combined experience here, and can get a much more diverse take on things.
Those prices are very reasonable @txav8r. Hell, at that price I'd be a Yamaha product guy also. I'm curious why @Trm1765's dealer was so much higher.

Yamaha doesn't set prices cut their stock. The dealer does. So if they don't have to compete, they can charge whatever. Or if the market will bear it, same thing.

Sometimes a conversation with the parts or service manager will result in a different price structure. Especially if you are their customer.

My dealer, Nielsen's in Lake Villa, IL does not budge. I respect that though..almost nobody is getting a better deal than I am from them and I can always go to the internet if it is still cheaper with shipping and waiting.

The iBoats hack last year saved me $20 on my oil change kits but cost me a few hours of hassle and a new debit card. Like they say, sometimes God calms the storm, sometimes he calms the sailor and sometimes he makes us swim.

My filters were 23.15 each. Oil is a little cheaper by the gallon at 23.95 plus 2 quarts at 6.99 each, 6.43 for the government for a total of 90.66. I didn't get the plugs at their price so they got no sale and made nothing because they were greedy. I realize they have overhead, I have no problem with a business trying to make a decent dollar and stay in business. Everyone has overhead, including the parts store who also make a buck selling me parts, not to mention my own overhead...... Moral of the story, you can make a decent buck and depend on it, or you can gouge who you can and only sell a portion of what you could.

20% off today at Advance auto with code EXCE41 :-)

I just stopped by my local Yamaha shop in Port Washington at lunch time today. They are a bike shop, but I think they work on skis too.

I walked out with two filters for $26.01 total.

Price includes sales tax, jack tax, wheel tax, middle-man markup, factory-to-dealer incentive, Sr. discount, Jr. discount, special lease option, married-filing-jointly, and spring blowout pricing. :p

What no repeat customer loyalty discount??? What a rip off!

Gentleman..... The initial poster has 1.8L motors... he take a different filter. He has a 69J-13440-01-00 which is $23.15 each. You guys with the 1.1, 1.3, 1.6 motors use the 5GH-13440-50-00 filter and that is $13 each.

@txav8r if your signature is correct and you own a SX240 now you will be looking for different filters (the $23.15 ones) and more oil from the dealer. The 1.8L motors you can suck almost all 4 qts out of it unlike the other motors that you are lucky to get 2-2.5 out of.

Glad no one told Mel about those high priced maint items before he signed for that new boat..he might still be boatless.

Wow... They are way off the mark on plugs. NKG MSRP is about $10/plug and they can be picked up for far less with a little searching online.

@txav8r if your signature is correct and you own a SX240 now you will be looking for different filters (the $23.15 ones) and more oil from the dealer. The 1.8L motors you can suck almost all 4 qts out of it unlike the other motors that you are lucky to get 2-2.5 out of.
Good to know about the oil...I only ordered 6 qts. I guess I will get 8 or 2 gallons. The percentage markup certainly isn't the same dealer to dealer. Plenty of guys that were paying $20 for the MR-1 filters, and I got them for half that. I don't have a price from PD on the filters, and while they may be a little more, it doesn't seem right they would be double, but I don't know that for sure. I might have to change my habit of annual changes and expensive filters. I see it as cheap insurance, just like using Yamaha Ring Free and Marine Grade Stable in every tank...and fogging several times per year.

@Lspeedss , I was already aware the 240 line was not as fuel efficient as the 230's, which are not quite as efficient as the classic 210's. Now the new 210's, I have no idea where they fit in the mix of efficiency. Some would say "if you have a boat you don't care"...and those that say it may not care, but I do and so do MANY boaters. Efficiency is a big reason one boat sells more than another with many buyers. I want a boat that has all the power it needs, and will go like a scalded ape...and run efficiently 90% of the time when I set cruise and get where I am going and back on a small amount of fuel. Sometimes convenience is worth more than the best price. One thing about online shopping, is the shipping increases it more than local many times...until you add the gas you spend going to get it! It's all good, I am going to love the boat!

I know you will Mel..Glad your back in the seat.

@txav8r I 100% agree with you on the mark up of the filter. They are bigger but not double! LOL! They are the same filters we use on the 150HP and up outboards as well. I guess that's a nice thing about being a boat and outboard dealer... I only need to stock 2 filter numbers for the whole line up (Well the F350 takes a different one but I don't sell that animal). You are going to love the 240. Of the whole line up they are my favorite boats to run.

Castrol GTX and K&N filters here

I just bought Yamaha oil filters at my local motorsports shop for $17 each, a gallon on Yamalube was $20. By comparison my local Yamaha dealer charges $25 per filter and $20 for a gallon of Yamalube. I bought iridium plugs last year online for $12 each, it was the best price I could find but still a lot higher than I used to pay for ngk iridiums for my SX230. non-iridiums shouldn't cost more that $6 or $7 I think. Prior to reverting back to yahama filters I used the high end mobil 1 filter which I got from pep boys for around $15 so the extra $2 for the Yamaha filter isn't bad at all, especially since my dealer charges $25 for it.

I'm not a fan of Yamalube or Yamaha's filters but I bought my boat used with 100 hours on her engines and no problems with the oil coolers. 50 to 60 hours after I started using full synthetic oil and 3rd party oil filters both of my oil coolers developed leaks. Maybe it was coincidence maybe not but I've since switched back to Yamaha oil and filters at least for the boat anyway. The waverunners have the 1 liter engines and I haven't had any issues running full synthetic in them so I'll keep doing that but with Yamaha filters going forward.

My filters were 23.15 each. Oil is a little cheaper by the gallon at 23.95 plus 2 quarts at 6.99 each, 6.43 for the government for a total of 90.66. I didn't get the plugs at their price so they got no sale and made nothing because they were greedy. I realize they have overhead, I have no problem with a business trying to make a decent dollar and stay in business. Everyone has overhead, including the parts store who also make a buck selling me parts, not to mention my own overhead...... Moral of the story, you can make a decent buck and depend on it, or you can gouge who you can and only sell a portion of what you could.

I wouldnt sweat the cost of spark plugs much. The 1.8s dont consume them like the MR-1s do. You wont need to change you plugs until 200 hours or more. I just pulled mine, checked gap and cleaned them. They are still perfect at 150 hours. Its certainly not an annual expense.

Also I pay $20-something for the Yamaha filters and buy Mobile-1 Oil. Annual oil service for about $100 with synthetic oil isnt a bad expense.

Back