• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

depth finder

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our boat ran perfect today. We were out on falls lake for more than 7 hours today and the boat didn't skip a beat... The only issue (minor issue) was the depth finder did not read consistently. At no wake it would read about half the time.. under throttle it showed --- after a few seconds. Any solutions to this problem or is it a design flaw? The boat only had 30 hours on it so i assume it is the oem depth finder. 2008 sx 230

My 08 behaved the same the first time I had it out. The stock depth gauge snaps upwards if it hits anything. Mine was in that position. Check yours and see if you can push it down until it clicks. That'll likely fix you up.

There have been lots of documented issues with the original Norcross transducers. I've referenced a thread from the other site about ordering a replacement transducer from Norcross with air and water temp readings. I just did it on my '05 SX230 and the new unit works great. They offer a trade-in discount when you send them the old unit and it only cost me $80ish with shipping. It's basically a plug and play swap.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55724&hilit=Norcross

My '05 depth finder died over the winter. Now has a blank screen and alarms constantly. I just disconnected it as I have a GPS with transducer that gives me much more info.

My SX230 had a broken transducer mount when I bought it. I replaced the display, cable and transducer with Norcross parts. It always was unreliable. I installed a RayMarine Dragonfly chart plotter and depth finder and replaced the display with a battery meter. Now I always have accurate depth readings up to 30 mph. I believe my transducer rises out of the water after that.

I added a Lowrance Down Scan Imaging chartplotter so I'd have a GPS, and be able to "see" under the boat before letting the boys jump in. I've heard too many horror stories of people being hurt by submerged trees, rocks/boulders, etc. this way I can ride around a cove checking for problems before we anchor.

Ditch the factory depth and install a fish-finder. Mine never worked "out of the box" and I wasn't about to horse around with the dealer/warranty garbage for a known issue. I just replaced mine outright. My Garmin was - at the time - right around $100. (I just looked and Amazon has a Garmin Echo 101 for $77 right now.)

Here's the link to my replacement thread "over there": xxxxxxx

Edit: Moved my post to jetboaters.net the other day. Here's the thread "within our house": https://jetboaters.net/threads/depth-finder-replacement-2009-sx230.5719/

My depth finder works fine at all speeds and conditions. Super-murky water will sometimes cause it to wink out but otherwise I get a good reading 99% of the time.

Last edited:
My 08 behaved the same the first time I had it out. The stock depth gauge snaps upwards if it hits anything. Mine was in that position. Check yours and see if you can push it down until it clicks. That'll likely fix you up.

X2 on this. Similar symptoms for me too on occassions. My transducer had unsnapped. It just clicks back in place and I was good to go.

@Bruce I was wondering what to put in its place....a volt meter would be perfect!

@biglar155 would love to have you copy your install thread over here! My biggest fear when we created this forum was the possible loss of all the info on the other forum when it goes offline or becomes inacccessible since the forum software hasn't been update in years (5?). (and yes...I admit, I hate sending people over there! sheepish grin)

The transducer is snapped down tight so that's not the problem.. I think I will just replace it with the similar one that does temp as well... I just have to manage how to make it happen.. lol txs for all the input..

@biglar155 would love to have you copy your install thread over here! My biggest fear when we created this forum was the possible loss of all the info on the other forum when it goes offline or becomes inacccessible since the forum software hasn't been update in years (5?). (and yes...I admit, I hate sending people over there! sheepish grin)

@Julian, Yeah, I'm not a fan of sending folks of there either. I'll try to copy it over here when I have a few minutes.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to do the swap for my '04 unit if it will work for that. Half of one of the LCD numbers is faded out, and I'd like to have the temperature as well.

@bronze_10 was that amount with the exchange??

Mine never worked. I couldn't see doing the work to replace or fix so went with Lowrance elite 4

i went this route to make it a quick fix. i hope its mainly plug and play.. we will see soon.. plus it was cheap.

Back