• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Full Enclosure / Canopy for 242 Limited S E-Series

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I recently finished making a full enclosure for my 19 242 LSE. This is a project I’ve been planning since before I purchased the boat. The boating season in Ohio is June-Sept. at best, but there are plenty of sunny but “crisp” days in the months surrounding, hence the enclosure. The extended Bimini top on the E series is perfect for this purpose, it extends way back, but perfectly follows the lines of the windshield.

One huge requirement I had in the design of this was that it not require ANY holes to be put into the gel coat, I knew this would mean sacrifices elsewhere, such as being able to run full speed with the curtains on, but again, this is a limited use setup, for a specific purpose. Total cost of materials was around $200, and I did all the work myself on an old ken, so labor was free.

Credit where credit is due: there are a few posts on this and the other forum with others’ custom camper enclosures, and they were a huge inspiration.

From the outside:

Interior Shot:

I’m still using the OEM top cover, all of these panels (4 in total) wrap around the top tube and Velcro back onto itself. The top then goes on right over that and cinches it down even tighter. Here’s a pic before the top was on:
Around the front, I used the Taylor-made plastic inserts in the OEM Taylor made windshield rail and one-way Taylor made snaps. 2” Velcro at fabric to fabric joints, the back relies on tension from a Buckle and strap that loops down to the back cleats. At the back there is an opening near the rear deck due to the “No holes in gel coat” constraint, so I couldn’t snap off to follow to count our like in others’ installs, but it’s low enough that I’m not worried about it.

Hopefully this helps or inspires others!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is absolutely amazing ! Love it. Since I am sure you can't tow with the enclosure/canopy installed , how much time does it add at the ramp to setup canopy and then bimini ? Can one person do it ?

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@WildCatFan54 since we trailer pretty much everywhere, I take the Bimini off every time to tow, I have the process down, takes maybe 2 minutes to put on at the ramp. First time putting this whole setup took about 10 minutes to put on by myself, but I suspect I’ll get better over time. It’s all a one person job, I love my wife, but sometimes more “help” is less than helpful...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recently finished making a full enclosure for my 19 242 LSE. This is a project I’ve been planning since before I purchased the boat. The boating season in Ohio is June-Sept. at best, but there are plenty of sunny but “crisp” days in the months surrounding, hence the enclosure. The extended Bimini top on the E series is perfect for this purpose, it extends way back, but perfectly follows the lines of the windshield.

One huge requirement I had in the design of this was that it not require ANY holes to be put into the gel coat, I knew this would mean sacrifices elsewhere, such as being able to run full speed with the curtains on, but again, this is a limited use setup, for a specific purpose. Total cost of materials was around $200, and I did all the work myself on an old ken, so labor was free.

Credit where credit is due: there are a few posts on this and the other forum with others’ custom camper enclosures, and they were a huge inspiration.

From the outside:
View attachment 107037
View attachment 107038
View attachment 107039
View attachment 107040

Interior Shot:
View attachment 107041

I’m still using the OEM top cover, all of these panels (4 in total) wrap around the top tube and Velcro back onto itself. The top then goes on right over that and cinches it down even tighter. Here’s a pic before the top was on:
View attachment 107042
Around the front, I used the Taylor-made plastic inserts in the OEM Taylor made windshield rail and one-way Taylor made snaps. 2” Velcro at fabric to fabric joints, the back relies on tension from a Buckle and strap that loops down to the back cleats. At the back there is an opening near the rear deck due to the “No holes in gel coat” constraint, so I couldn’t snap off to follow to count our like in others’ installs, but it’s low enough that I’m not worried about it.

Very cool, can you give us more information on how you attached to the windshield? I'm not delighted with my bungee solution and want to enhance it!

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@JohnFromPuyallup Ha! I think her unhelpfulness is a ploy to get out of helping me set up and clean... it’s working...

@Julian I used the Taylor made snaps with the plastic inserts that fit right in the rail on the window. Amazon link below. Instead of using the Omni-directional snap that came with the inserts I switched to a one way snap (Taylor made pull the dot) that I also got on amazon.

Up top, the fabric wraps around the Bimini frame and Velcros back onto itself. Velcro was sewed onto the fabric/vinyl. Don’t have any good photos of this on hand.

Taylor made inserts

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Amazing work more info please

Vinyl size and were it was purchased ?
Material size and were it was purchased ?
Velcro " "
needle type for stitching
any other items like straps and zipper

Whats an "old ken" was that meant to be old ken-more sewing machine ?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Instead of using the Omni-directional snap that came with the inserts I switched to a one way snap (Taylor made pull the dot) that I also got on amazon.
I dont understand this. Do you have a link to the one way snap, and what is the difference and why does it matter?

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Cambo I’ll gather a material list with links and post tomorrow. Clear vinyl was the thickest gauge available flat Joann fabric, had a 70% off coupon though if I did it again I would have paid 100$ more and gotten the marine isinglass that doesn’t distort vision. And yes, I meant to type old Kenmore sewing machine. Not a fancy walking foot machine.

@Julian the regular snaps can be lifted from any side of the snap. This was an issue because on the front windshield the vinyl was coming straight down to the windshield rail from the Bimini frame. With the angle on the windshield frame, this actually puts a little bit of “uplift” on the snap itself. On our first run, a few of them came loose.

The one way snap (link below) can only be lifted from one side of the snap. In this case, you install that side on the bottom. So the fabric pulling from the top does nothing, but when you lift it from the bottom the snap comes right off. They worked well, windshield held on a full speed run into the wind. You can get them on amazon, but if you have the patience, they’re cheaper on Sailrite.

Taylor Made Pull The Dot Snaps

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Cambo I’ll gather a material list with links and post tomorrow. Clear vinyl was the thickest gauge available flat Joann fabric, had a 70% off coupon though if I did it again I would have paid 100$ more and gotten the marine isinglass that doesn’t distort vision. And yes, I meant to type old Kenmore sewing machine. Not a fancy walking foot machine.

@Julian the regular snaps can be lifted from any side of the snap. This was an issue because on the front windshield the vinyl was coming straight down to the windshield rail from the Bimini frame. With the angle on the windshield frame, this actually puts a little bit of “uplift” on the snap itself. On our first run, a few of them came loose.

The one way snap (link below) can only be lifted from one side of the snap. In this case, you install that side on the bottom. So the fabric pulling from the top does nothing, but when you lift it from the bottom the snap comes right off. They worked well, windshield held on a full speed run into the wind. You can get them on amazon, but if you have the patience, they’re cheaper on Sailrite.

Taylor Made Pull The Dot Snaps
Very cool....did not know they made a snap like this! Thanks for the snap education!

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome project.

I think you’d find Keder technology especially helpful for these enclosures. Keder rail and Keder rope are used on larger boat camper enclosures. Also common for large tent structures to attach ceiling vinyl to aluminum frame.

This PVC flexible rail could be most helpful to avoid snaps.

A Keder connection is removable and water tight. Holds up to wind load exceptionally well.

7B766959-B84C-49D1-97F2-1C6AEF6538F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This camper is attached at many places with Keder track.
46A3129B-6342-4D6E-AAAA-9DC4CC9F09E2.jpeg

Tecni

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn’t it get muggy as hell in there with no a/c or ventilation?

WhoPlaysWhere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
This camper is attached at many places with Keder track.
View attachment 119637
How would you see that the Keder rail system would work? Would the aluminum Keder rails need to be permanently fixed to the boat? If so, I like the simplicity of the snaps in lieu of adding rails. Your thoughts?

Rafael Naveiras jr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

From the outside:
View attachment 107037
View attachment 107038
View attachment 107039
View attachment 107040

Interior Shot:
View attachment 107041

View attachment 107042

Where can I buy one of those?
Ralph
305 924 5873

CZMWYTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

From the outside:
View attachment 107037
View attachment 107038
View attachment 107039
View attachment 107040

Interior Shot:
View attachment 107041

View attachment 107042

This is literally exactly what I have been trying to find. I can’t find one for sale obviously because you made it. I wish someone made these for sale. Would you ever want to make another one to sell it, I would really appreciate it if you could make another or even sell the one you have if you dont use it often. It’s a great idea and I have been wanting to camp on my boat and this would work great.

TJC69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Looks great! I thought of doing the same thing for my 243VRX.