• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Phantom Drone Advice

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took mine out again today thanks @Ronnie I didn't know I had to register it. I finally pulled it out of beginners mode today and wow I see what you mean by orientation now. I really didn't get that far away about 300ft up and probably 1000ft out and I could barley see it which made it difficult to tell which way it was going to bring it back I had to look through the camera screen to try and navigate it back. The standard does have the flight features I started playing with those today I used the follow me feature and the circle point of interest feature both cool and easy to use. Next time out I'm going to play with the home link feature so next time I get disoriented I can easy fly it back to me by using it. Only issue I'm having is its not wanting to link the live camera feed to my iPhone 4s when I press the camera button on the app to access the features and camera the whole screen goes white. I was able to connect with a friends iPhone 5s so it must be a phone issue. I will have to see if one of my iPads will work or I will probably have to upgrade my phone.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's a second difference between the Advanced and Professional, the charging wattage, and charging times. Not substantial, but with the short (23min) flight time, I'm sure the gain on the Professional charging time is a plus. Alternately DJI states that the camera system is not removable on either the Advanced, or professional.

View attachment 31587 View attachment 31588
@ChrisM the charging time does stink a little but I think I can buy a second battery for $149 which I will probably do.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie any recemendations on a boat retrieval or landing? Trying to decide if it's best to try and grab the unit from the air or actually try and land it on the boat? I do know the best option is a land launch and landing but just asking if the land landing is not possible.

JetSet407

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Ronnie any recemendations on a boat retrieval or landing? Trying to decide if it's best to try and grab the unit from the air or actually try and land it on the boat? I do know the best option is a land launch and landing but just asking if the land landing is not possible.

Just hover it nearby and have someone grab the legs. Then you can shut it off using the remote once secured. I was concerned as well but that works best for me and is easy to do. I would not try landing it on the boat, I would be concerned about the props hitting something.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I catch mine every single time, regardless if I am on the boat or in my back yard. The first time I landed it in my back yard it must have hit a part where the ground wasn't 100% level and it flipped on it's side. The 2nd time I landed it on a sheet of plywood and it still seemed like it wanted to roll over. Since then I have just been catching it and not had any issues.

One thing to remember on a boat is to be careful how far you drive. When I was making this video last year at Lake Cumberland I damn near lost the quad in the drink because it stopped taking my inputs and tried to fly back to our starting point. I had to switch off GPS mode and turn on ATTI which can get interesting because the quad is far less stable in that mode. Later that night I figured out what happened to make the quad freak out. We were pulling the kids in the tube and I had the quad following us, I have mine set to a 3/4 mile radius so it doesn't ever fly too far away from me. Well as soon as we had went 3/4 of a mile the quad acted like it hit an invisible force field and stopped flying forward with the boat. Once I switched it to ATTI I was able to get it back to the boat, but I was definitely nervous for a couple of minutes. So if you are going to be flying with your boat, make sure to set your geofence to something really far, or stay in that preset radius.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually take off from a bow cushion when there is room (I.e., no one taking up the center aisle / only two people sitting at the sides of the bow). It also fits between the seats when the bow cushion is not installed but if you take off from or land there do it quickly so it doesn't hit the seats or anything on the way up or down. If the bow is full I will take off from the top step of the swim deck unless the water is rough or I want to take off while the boat is underway in which case I will launch it from my right (non - throttle stick hand). So where / how I take off really depends on the situation. Unless the boat is anchored I will usually just hover it to head height and recover it by hand while the boat is drifting or anchored but prefer to let a friend or family member "in the know" grab it out of the air by the bottom of the skids with both hands.

What helps me is the addition of blade guards (no string between them). That is, I feel more comfortable flying out of and moreover into the boat and near people with the guards on. For $20 they give me a lot of peace of mind.

Here is a video of two of my early take offs and Landings from the bow when I was boating alone.

Soap box time so stop reading if you are not interested in my perspective on flying rc models.

I can't emphasize the next point enough, do not become too reliant on the GPS assist functions or the advanced flight modes of the phantom or any rc helicopter for that matter. Most of the flyaways and crashes I've read about involve operators that haven't mastered basic radio controlled model flight skills. That is, they don't know how to determine which way the heli is pointed/oriented when it is hundreds of feet out or up so when they try and fly it back it doesn't do what they expect. Some rely on the advanced flight mode so it doesn't matter which way it's oriented but they haven't practiced using this mode so they don't activate/deactivate it correctly or just use it incorrectly. That is they forget that in this mode GPS stabilization may be off so the inherently stable multi copter (which bormally hovers hands free of the remote) will continue to drift in the last direction it was headed until an opposite directional input is made on one of the control sticks.

To counter this, what I call over reliance on tech, I recommend that all people new to rc helis (conventional pod and boom and multi rotors) simply practice flying low (about 30 feet high) and close (at least 30 feet out). The starting position is with the operator facing the rear of the heli. On the phantom the green lights are mounted on the back and the red on the front. From this position left on the left stick will make the heli yaw / point to the left and right when the stick is moved to the right. The right stick will also make the heli move in the direction its pointed (I.e., roll / slide left or right when the stick is pushed left or right and pitch back and forth when the stick is moved back or forward). This is all basic stuff but mastering or at least being aware of your position relative to the model's is key to controlled flight. From the tail in hover position get used to moving forward, back, left, right and rotating all within a 10 foot square over a 4 foot square target and always ending in the same position you started in (that is tail in or you facing the tail of the heli). Once you are comfortable with this practice flying. In short, medium and large circles, first clock wise than counter clock wise. After getting the hang of this do some figure 8s and finally end with some nose in hovering (wherein all the controls are reversed). With multi copters all of this can be done in as little as one battery's charge (20 minutes) and can really help in a pinch, like when the heli is too far out to see the lights on it. Don't freak out or instantly hit the return to home function which won't work they way you need it to when you have moved away from the home/take off point. Just move the right stick to figure out which way the heli is pointed, reorient the heli so it's tail in and fly it back, like a boss. If you do plan to use the return to home function don't forget to set the return height appropriately. You need to clear trees, power lines and buildings but don't set it so high that it violates the fcc's 400 foot maximum and possibly gets into the airspace of full scale planes and helis like police copters (like the guy in this story did, he is lucky he didn't get fined almost $28k : http://www.ktvu.com/news/58030706-story ).

Lastly consider joining a forum similar to this one. Here is one that I registered for which is dedicated to phantom owners/operators.

http://www.phantompilots.com

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I usually take off from a bow cushion when there is room (I.e., no one taking up the center aisle / only two people sitting at the sides of the bow). It also fits between the seats when the bow cushion is not installed but if you take off from or land there do it quickly so it doesn't hit the seats or anything on the way up or down. If the bow is full I will take off from the top step of the swim deck unless the water is rough or I want to take off while the boat is underway in which case I will launch it from my right (non - throttle stick hand). So where / how I take off really depends on the situation. Unless the boat is anchored I will usually just hover it to head height and recover it by hand while the boat is drifting or anchored but prefer to let a friend or family member "in the know" grab it out of the air by the bottom of the skids with both hands.

What helps me is the addition of blade guards (no string between them). That is, I feel more comfortable flying out of and moreover into the boat and near people with the guards on. For $20 they give me a lot of peace of mind.

Here is a video of two of my early take offs and Landings from the bow when I was boating alone.

Soap box time so stop reading if you are not interested in my perspective on flying rc models.

I can't emphasize the next point enough, do not become too reliant on the GPS assist functions or the advanced flight modes of the phantom or any rc helicopter for that matter. Most of the flyaways and crashes I've read about involve operators that haven't mastered basic radio controlled model flight skills. That is, they don't know how to determine which way the heli is pointed/oriented when it is hundreds of feet out or up so when they try and fly it back it doesn't do what they expect. Some rely on the advanced flight mode so it doesn't matter which way it's oriented but they haven't practiced using this mode so they don't activate/deactivate it correctly or just use it incorrectly. That is they forget that in this mode GPS stabilization may be off so the inherently stable multi copter (which bormally hovers hands free of the remote) will continue to drift in the last direction it was headed until an opposite directional input is made on one of the control sticks.

To counter this, what I call over reliance on tech, I recommend that all people new to rc helis (conventional pod and boom and multi rotors) simply practice flying low (about 30 feet high) and close (at least 30 feet out). The starting position is with the operator facing the rear of the heli. On the phantom the green lights are mounted on the back and the red on the front. From this position left on the left stick will make the heli yaw / point to the left and right when the stick is moved to the right. The right stick will also make the heli move in the direction its pointed (I.e., roll / slide left or right when the stick is pushed left or right and pitch back and forth when the stick is moved back or forward). This is all basic stuff but mastering or at least being aware of your position relative to the model's is key to controlled flight. From the tail in hover position get used to moving forward, back, left, right and rotating all within a 10 foot square over a 4 foot square target and always ending in the same position you started in (that is tail in or you facing the tail of the heli). Once you are comfortable with this practice flying. In short, medium and large circles, first clock wise than counter clock wise. After getting the hang of this do some figure 8s and finally end with some nose in hovering (wherein all the controls are reversed). With multi copters all of this can be done in as little as one battery's charge (20 minutes) and can really help in a pinch, like when the heli is too far out to see the lights on it. Don't freak out or instantly hit the return to home function which won't work they way you need it to when you have moved away from the home/take off point. Just move the right stick to figure out which way the heli is pointed, reorient the heli so it's tail in and fly it back, like a boss. If you do plan to use the return to home function don't forget to set the return height appropriately. You need to clear trees, power lines and buildings but don't set it so high that it violates the fcc's 400 foot maximum and possibly gets into the airspace of full scale planes and helis like police copters (like the guy in this story did, he is lucky he didn't get fined almost $28k : http://www.ktvu.com/news/58030706-story ).

Lastly consider joining a forum similar to this one. Here is one that I registered for which is dedicated to phantom owners/operators.

http://www.phantompilots.com

Very good advice. To add to this I would suggest getting a smaller quad like a Cheerson CX-10 (which is super small, has 3 skill levels to help you learn and is under $20 on Amazon) to learn the fundamentals of flying.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice guys and I have learned a several good things from you. I too hit the invisable brick wall in one of my first test flights when I had it in beginners mode I guess I had moved to far away from the original home spot and since it was limited to 98 feet it wouldn't let it fly any further so I do know what that was like. I do need to check my distance settings I know I have adjusted the height setting but not yet adjusted the range setting so that is a good thing to know as well. I know there is a setting on the 3 where it will adjust the home location every 30 seconds so i will have to check into how to use that if I decide to fly it behind the boat. I have been flying smaller units for three years none of which had any gps functions so everything was manual including hovering so I'm pretty familiar with unassisted free flight which has helped with the learning curve on this unit. I agree with everything said in the soap box statement as well. I did get out on the boat today since it was 78 degrees and did take it with me but I didn't launch from the boat wanted to wait a bit to do that but I did take off from Sandy Island for a few minutes. Below is that video.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just noticed that the Advanced is now on sale for $799 on their site! And there is an Advanced 4K for $799 as well....not sure how that differs from the Professional....didn't dig into it. Getting really tempting!!!! The advance has the vision positioning system for indoor flight (not sure I'd use that much, but seems to be one of the bigger differences.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys,

If anyone is interested I'm selling my DJI Phantom 3 4K setup. Has a nice backpack case and 3 total batteries. Selling for $775 which I think is fair. There are $300 in batteries alone. I'm selling bc I had the drone itch really bad, made some fantastic videos and now the scratch has been scratched. If interested let me know. Thanks

https://post.craigslist.org/k/LnMVskiE5hGxzo0yhxualQ/3bwaw?s=redirect

Last edited:

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This thread started about 15 months ago. The Phantom 3 Standard is now $399 on BestBuy. It it worth it to search Amazon and get one of the packages with an extra battery and carrying case? Or just spend the 399 and get a battery later after the kid learns to fly it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you can wait whatever time it takes Amazon to deliver the package I think its worth it considering the batteries still cost about $100 new. Cases are anywhere from $25 to $200 depending on the quality and material used.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
JetPowered, how can you dislike my post from over a year ago? In September of 2015, that post was a good buy? What was your point for the thumb down?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
JetPowered, how can you dislike my post from over a year ago? In September of 2015, that post was a good buy? What was your point for the thumb down?
Thumbs down ratings are often given by mistake by members scrolling through the forum on a touch screen device. I've given many of them by mistake. @JetPowered can change the rating by revisiting the post but keep in mind these ratings have no real effect on a members status.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Murf is exactly right. Didn't even notice I had accidentally given any feedback. I was in this thread last night looking for more information after receiving a phantom 3 standard for my birthday! I'll correct the feedback.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie I'm thinking of selling my P3 Advanced. What are these worth now? P3 Advanced, good condition, 3 batteries, DJI backpack, prop guards, led lights, etc..

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Matt I sold my advance a few months ago for $500. Here is a pic of some of what is available to me locally on Craigslist. I recommend you check your local Craigslist for current pricing in your area. Pro systems are going for $200 to $400 more here.
IMG_8140.PNG

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Matt I sold my advance a few months ago for $500. Here is a pic of some of what is available to me locally on Craigslist. I recommend you check your local Craigslist for current pricing in your area. Pro systems are going for $200 to $400 more here.
View attachment 52359
Thanks that's about what I was thinking.