• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do not deal with MarineMax if you want a Scarab 165

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
I tried buying a 165 HO Impulse from MarineMax, and after dealing with them will never consider buying anything from MarineMax. I had been talking with a salesperson from the Sarasota store. When I went in at the end of july the salesperson knew nothing about the 165 (tried selling me the 195 HOI they had). I thought about the 215HOI and was seriously thinking of ordering a 2015 but they could not match or come close to the prices of the guys up north PA and MI. But I did want to see the 165 before I made up my mind.
Salesperson said clearwater store was getting one for the tampa boat show. So we setup a time this week to see it before the show. (was told I would be offered the boat show deals).

I drove up from Siesta Key on Wednesday morning to meet the salesperson again and see the boat. They did not have an impulse, just a plain 165 that they added the graphics package too, so I would have to order it. After looking at it, its what I wanted as it will be fun to play with and great for the sandbars. So we sat down and went over numbers, and like last time he really did not know what the options were, but I settled on the Premium Sound and trailering cover as add ons and the Impulse already came with cruise control and a couple other things like the graphics and swim mat.

We agreed on a price of 30k out the door and I signed the quote sheet stating the price and a 5k non refundable deposit. Gave my CC for the deposit and though we were good to go. Said he would call and let me know when he had an idea of the build date. Instead 40 or o minutes later I get a call from him telling me he could not do the deal, the lowest they could go was 30,800. (Gave me BS about scarab offering no incentives, blah blah) So after already giving me a quote and me making a deposit they now want 800 more to complete the deal.

Its funny how a fully loaded 165 HOI is listed at 30k CAD which is under 28K USD at boat warehouse in ontario but they can not sell me a 165 HOI with thousands less in options for 28k (30K was OTD price)
I have attached the quote (Funny thing is the salesperson even spelt my last name wrong after I provided DL, CC and even my email address which is my name)

So now it looks like no scarab for me as MarineMax has exclusive rights to sell in this market, seems only jet boat option is a Yamaha now. Other options are going stern drive or back to a pwc. Not really wanting another stern drive (unless I can find a donzi 22 or baja 23 with a bravo 1 for a great price )

It is disappointing as I was really looking forward to the 165 as it looks like it will be a fun boat and should be easy to make a few changes to bump up performance. Figured with a upgraded IC like the riva or fizzle and a tune it would be a real blast on the water

Attachments

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just don't get how these salespeople can try and change deals when there is a signed quote and a deposit down. It's almost like they don't care if they lie to get something signed they'll just change their mind before the deal is done. (OR even after for some people.) It's no wonder people think all sales people are lying bastards.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Reuben Vero Beach FL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Other
Wow that really sucks, I was down In steward on Friday stop by Marine Max see if they had anything I am leaning towards the 165 only because it fits in my garage very nicely he didn't have anything to show me Not even a 195 if anybody has The measurements including trailer I would very much appreciate it, To total depth in my garage is about 19'6" from wall to door I just felt if I have to put a boat in storage it would take the fun out of it.

Reuben Boatless

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, are you getting your deposit back?
Hard to imagine they would lose a sale for $800...I think I will always buy used from private sellers, I hate dealing with stealers...I mean dealers.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is what you messaged me in Facebook...
I just drove up to Clearwater to view the 165, and left with an agreed price of 30K for a 165 HOI with premium stereo, cover, and trailer. Signed the quote and even gave them my credit card. Did not even make it back to Sarasota when the salesman called and told me they could not honor the deal the lowest they could go was $30,800. Needless to say I told them to shred my paperwork. (Fact that they charge $1k for BS items like lifejackets and dock lines with a 2hr captains session) and now want 800 more then agreed price I can say I will never give marinemax another look.
Here is what you wrote on Scarab's Facebook page....
Joe HennessyAfter driving an hour to see the 165 in person at the clearwater branch and then getting an offer in writing for a 165 HOI with an agreed price which I signed and provided my credit card for a $5k deposit, the dealerMarineMax Sarasota then calls me and tells me they can not honor the deal and wanted $800 more. So looks like I am either buying a Yamaha Jet Boat now or a Donzi classic.
So which store did you go too? The Clearwater branch or Sarasota branch? Like i told you on FB, I find it very hard to believe your story, especially when your telling me that they are charging you for captain's lessons and USCG gear. Also, looks like the picture you have attched was an offer, not a sales order. That offer was rejected for what Im told.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
"Offer" or "Quote", pretty freaking crazy that they take your non-refundable deposit on a DEAL they cannot uphold! Especially when it is only $800 off from what they can support. That is either a New salesman that doesn't know his pricing, or a cunning salesman that thinks he can f you around. Sucks either way!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Something tells me ..........
That's it's time here for us to CRANK OUT the 'ole Good Time Parable ...........

"Never EVER ! Let FACTS git in the way of a Good Story !"

LOL ! Enjoy ! Now let's all go have some Labor Day Holiday FUN@!

Mikey Lulejian - Livin' The Dream on Lake Oconee, GA

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Here is what you messaged me in Facebook...

Here is what you wrote on Scarab's Facebook page....

So which store did you go too? The Clearwater branch or Sarasota branch? Like i told you on FB, I find it very hard to believe your story, especially when your telling me that they are charging you for captain's lessons and USCG gear. Also, looks like the picture you have attched was an offer, not a sales order. That offer was rejected for what Im told.
The salesperson is from Sarasota, the 165 I went to see is at the Clearwater store. I made arrangements with the salesperson at the Sarasota store to meet him up in clearwater to view the 165. Do not see how that is difficult to understand as its right there.

And at no time when he asked me to sign the paper which says QUOTE on it did he say anything about him needing to get approval for the agreed price. My understanding when I left was that I just put down a deposit on a 165 for an otd price of 30k.

And the original price before we negotiated was about $2800 more, and when we were going over the breakdown and I asked what the $1000+ fee hey were charging included he stated it was for the safety and boating gear plus 2hrs of captains time to get you aquatinted with the boat. At which time I had a laugh as this is an oversized jet ski.

Fine that you like MarineMax, but I have not a single good experience and will make sure everyone knows how they Lie and cheat.

Oh and who is changing stories now, I have the FB messages and have no problems posting them as at no point did you question me or say you thought I was making it up. Now who is the shill

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@SilentShooter you do realize that MarineMax is a nation wide dealer and although your experience might not have been the best, I'm sure it's not indicative of all their dealers. Your judging the whole from the actions of a few.

Not that I'm a fan of MarineMax by any means, as their a competitor. But I hate it when people judge Yamaha when they've had a bad experience with a dealer, same principal applies.

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Well if they allow their salespeople to act like this than I would say its the entire organization. If its just the general manager of this location that allows it then maybe MarineMax Corporate needs to address this location. And thanks to the fact that I used to be an IT consultant for a large number of law firms in the area I reached out to one to review it and put together a submission to the states attorney general based on the sales tactics. Lets see how they like putting their dealers license in jeopardy

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Seems like somewhat of an over reaction. It appears you thought you were signing a buyer's order when in fact you were making an offer.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@SilentShooter you do realize that MarineMax is a nation wide dealer and although your experience might not have been the best, I'm sure it's not indicative of all their dealers. Your judging the whole from the actions of a few.

Not that I'm a fan of MarineMax by any means, as their a competitor. But I hate it when people judge Yamaha when they've had a bad experience with a dealer, same principal applies.
EXTREMELY well said. And with this, maybe we oughta simply put this to bed, call it a night, and move onto better experiences and memories ! :winkingthumbsup"
Hey ! It's a HAPPY LABOR DAY to all out there ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Seems like somewhat of an over reaction. It appears you thought you were signing a buyer's order when in fact you were making an offer.
Once the salesperson is fired I will be happy. He intentionally misled me into thinking that we had a deal. I would not have otherwise given him my drivers license and credit card to place a $5k non refundable deposit on. He was the one that offered me the boat at 30k after he provided the initial quote at full MSRP and said I would not pay that. Then shook my hand and told me he would call me when he knew the production date.

In hindsight its now obvious he did not have authorization to sell me the boat at that price and wanted to lock me into the deal without locking himself into it. And that is an illegal sales tactic. There are strict rules on Automobile and Recreational Vehicle sales so that dealers can not use these tactics. And since he wasted my time having me drive up to Clearwater and then back out of the deal I will make sure it does not happen to another one of his clients. For all I know he does this to most of his clients which is why I am sending it to the Attorney General. You can assume I am the only one and that may be the case, but if not then I hope the find out there are more and do something about it.

Did you not hear about the police officer that was just arrested on multiple rape and groping charges, well until one person complained and they looked over his records of contact with females for the months prior they did not know he done it to dozens. If it goes no where then so be it, but it might just open the floodgates.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I highly doubt the deposit isn't refundable since they are not selling you the boat at the what you say was the agreed upon price.
No offense but there is probably more to this story......

SilentShooter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
They refunded the deposit, its the fact that they would not sell me the boat at the agreed price, that after the deal was made the salesman then wanted more money. When I signed the quote sheet and gave him my credit card, it was with the understanding that I was purchasing the boat at 30k OTD. That is what I left the cleawater location with that understanding. He could have simply said when he offered it to me at 30k that he needed to verify that they would approve that price, I would have said OK and if he could not have done it while I was there I would have left without giving him a deposit and once he had approval I would have then came back in and signed the deal and provided the deposit. Instead he wanted me on the hook when I left.

As you can see he printed out the quote with the OTD price, this was not just some number he threw out and said he would need to get approval for he actually provided me a written quote with the OTD price I agreed to. He then wrote on it $5000 non refundable deposit asked me to sign it and provide my CC and DL.

I even have emails from the salesperson stating that he was authorized to offer me the same incentives that they would be offering at the boat show next week as motivation for me to meet with him to see the boat this week. Guess it was just more BS

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Am I the only one to see that the $800 was his commission. Bet he wont be working there much longer thats why he wanted the $800 now.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You just said you were a the Clearwater location, but the offer sheet that you attached on here is a Sarasota sheet. A dealer will not take a deposit until you have a sales order written up. They might have taken your information, but I highly doubt they charged anything on it. Thats the difference. The sales order is binding after it has been signed by the seller and buyer. On it you will see a rate for any financing, total cost, taxes, tags ect.. The offer sheet is between you and the salesman when negotiating a price.

What you are doing is wrong. You have plastered this all over Scarab's Facebook page while blasting their product. If you have a problem with a certain salesman in a certain branch, then take your fight to that branch manager. I gave you the name of a person that could help you, and you never called him, never responded to my messages. At this point, it just looks like your out to tarnish a business's reputation, and have no intention of resolving the issue. You have gone to great lengths, including coming on this forum after I posted a link to it on Scarabs site, and my video, to continue this assault on that business.

I dont work for Marinemax, but I believe in fair treatment from both parties. What your doing by posting, and going on these rants on the internet is destroying business for them. That will cost them money as a whole as these forums can be seen all over the country. You have also probably changed the minds of possible future customers, and made others that were not going to buy their product keep your experience in their mind. And for what? Because you didnt get the boat you wanted at the price you wanted, and you didn't loose a penny.

You want to know what real dealer issues are? Go to the Glastron section, and see what they did to a guy named Patrick. Those are real issues, with legal implications.

Last edited: