• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

Do you carry a firearm aboard your boat?

• Are you kidding? I never leave home without one!

Votes: 88 38.3%
  • Sometimes, depending on where I am boating

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • I do occasionally but its not something I usually think about

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • I would but I do not have a concealed carry permit

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • NEVER! I would never own, much less carry, a gun

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • OTHER (explain below)

Votes: 38 16.5%

• Total voters

JoshCanSwim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone needed it in the boat? I get traveling to and from, but I can't recall ever seeing any news stories about boating issues?

Granted, that just means I probably wasn't paying attention for any stories like that.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’ll be honest, I never felt I needed a CCW permit. I’m 6’5”, nearly 300 lbs and most people find my demeanor and appearance scream “LEAVE ME ALONE” (for some reason I seem to have a scowl, or RBF as it’s commonly called). As of the last few months, however, I worry that the time will come when that isn’t enough and nobody will be there to help me or my family in a time of need. I am not new to firearms, I’ve been shooting since I could properly hold a .22 rifle. I’ve learned from a few different folks how to be proficient in a situation that requires deadly force, but in all honesty my belief is if you are going to carry, you carry all the time. Truck, boat, wherever I am that pistol is too. Otherwise what is the point?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I posted last year in this thread stating I carry but not on the boat. However, I can see changing my mind. I was on the lake last year and two ladies who were floating in the water with life jackets flagged me down. No other boats around, I picked them up. They said the boat they were on left them stranded and they’ve been floating for an hour on their own. So, we go looking for their boat. We found it. Full of shady looking characters who were not happy with the ladies or me. It was a very uncomfortable encounter, after which I thought I should go back to this thread and let everyone know I changed my mind. Guns and boats DO mix, unfortunately.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Both my wife and I own firearms and have them for defence due to the remote location that we live in. Neither of us have felt the need to bring one aboard. And besides, taking one over to the other side of the lake would be a no no, into New York waters. I do have several cutting/slicing tools and my grill leg to swing around and some "special skills" to use if required, but I cannot beat a speeding bullet. Vt. is pretty lax with gun laws, until some recent changes spurned by school shootings on the media. I do carry on land, since I was warned to by a local seargent, investigating a plot, reported by others, to "lure me out into the wood and f me up". The one time I wished I had it, it was laying on the truck seat a 100yds. away, on my property. One of those conspirators, entered my property, a felon with a muzzleloader, walked by 5 posted signs and me under an apple tree holding only my coffee cup. I was there to discover who the ahole was that kept cutting my fences, letting my 100 sheep scatter into the road. I came out of the bushes and followed him a few feet and let him know vocally I was there. He, was wearing full camo head to toe, similar to a ghillie suit, when he swung around with the muzzleloader leveled at me. Remember I was holding only my coffee cup. He turned around and as he left said "you better not call the game warden". I did not, I called local police to knock on his parents door and then the warden. If I had my firearm on me I would have dropped him as he turned, that action would have ruined at least one of my days. But I guess it is better than the alternative, being shot with a 50cal. I carry on land now, but not on the boat.
This confirms whether that was a pistol or a knife in the magazine pic that you posted in the Profile Name thread. This is a crazy story. What do these wackos get out of letting your sheep out into the street?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This confirms whether that was a pistol or a knife in the magazine pic that you posted in the Profile Name thread. This is a crazy story. What do these wackos get out of letting your sheep out into the street?
Funny, no I/we did not feel it necessary to carry in the company of Martha's film crew...Lol. That was my old 3g flip phone. Although, I can see it kinda does look like a 9mm Ruger.

Screenshot_20200728-101134_Chrome.jpg

One is a Motorola, the other is a Ruger.

20200728_102758.jpg

Bad intentioned people everywhere. When you bring something new to a 500ac property, which used to be their unrestricted hunting woods. It is amazing what they will do to F with you.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maybe if I go camping on remote island I will bring it. Just going fishing and cruising, I feel I would drop it in salt water with my clumsiness (already jumped in the water with my phone and my vape lol)

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe if I go camping on remote island I will bring it. Just going fishing and cruising, I feel I would drop it in salt water with my clumsiness (already jumped in the water with my phone and my vape lol)
I went on vacation and dropped my phone in the ocean. It was the best week I had in a long time!

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went on vacation and dropped my phone in the ocean. It was the best week I had in a long time!
Thats what I tell the boss every time i go on vacation..

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I always take mine to Voyageurs Nat'l Park, for protection from the wildlife/environment. Although the rules are contradictory. You can take a gun, just can't use it. Sooooo.... WTF does that mean?

As of February 22, 2010, a federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under federal, Minnesota, and local law to possess firearms in Voyageurs National Park. State law prohibits the possession of rifles, shotguns and BB guns in public places such as Voyageurs National Park. Federal law prohibits firearms in park-owned tour boats and certain facilities, such as visitor centers and government offices, in this park; those places are posted with signs at public entrances. In addition, Federal law prohibits the use or discharge of firearms within a park area. It is the visitor's responsibility to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws.If you have questions, please contact the Chief of Visitor & Resource Protection.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The only good that I can see is that you don’t have to leave it in your car. I guess I would rather have it on me than run the risk of it getting stolen. Let’s hope we’re not moving in that direction in general though, being able to have a firearm on you but not allowed to use it.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The only good that I can see is that you don’t have to leave it in your car. I guess I would rather have it on me than run the risk of it getting stolen. Let’s hope we’re not moving in that direction in general though, being able to have a firearm on you but not allowed to use it.
Not that is 100% secure but I have a small gun safe in my truck that cables to the seat frame for those occasions that I have to remove it before entering restricted locations.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Guns are bad in Canada - the rich are scared we might take their nice things. So nope, we can't take our guns with us.