• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you want a jetboat or a jet propelled boat?

Which do you prefer:

• I want a jetboat, not a jet propelled boat

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • I like that these are now boats that are jet propelled

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • I wouldn't consider a jet boat, regardless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a couple of interesting threads going on here concerning advantages/disadvantages of jet propulsion in general and some of the jet boat handling features in particular. For many of us coming off of outboards and stern-drives handling of a jet boat generates mixed feelings. As the jet boat market evolves and matures in some surprising ways, it makes one wonder which is a more popular view*:

1. I want a jetboat, not a jet propelled boat (I like to spin and slide at speed)
or
2. I like that these are now boats that are jet propelled (with a more planted tracking and handling - more akin to a traditional sterndrive)

(*Not meant to be a brand preference poll)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you should clarify jetboat a bit more. I want a rudderless jetboat, but NOT because I want to slide and spin (on a plane). I like having sharper handling when needed, better neutral maneuverability, slightly better shallower draft, and no rudder I need to worry about when I am anchored bow out at the beach in waves and my keel is sometimes bottoming out.

One interesting experiment for somebody to perform is to unbolt the rudder and try to figure out what percentage of the improvements are coming from the keel vs the rudder.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Which category would my 242 fall into? It's not as slippery as the flatter bottom jet boats, but it's not as refined as the new boats with the keel. I like the combination of fun and usability that it provides. I voted for jet propelled because I think that hits more of the things important to me. I like being able to do things that my I/O friends can't like WOT turns and backing into the sandbar, but I don't do the crazy stuff jetboats are known for to the outside world.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you should clarify jetboat a bit more. I want a rudderless jetboat, but NOT because I want to slide and spin (on a plane). I like having sharper handling when needed, better neutral maneuverability, slightly better shallower draft, and no rudder I need to worry about when I am anchored bow out at the beach in waves and my keel is sometimes bottoming out.

One interesting experiment for somebody to perform is to unbolt the rudder and try to figure out what percentage of the improvements are coming from the keel vs the rudder.
Hitting a lot of my "wants" here. I am not a big fan of the articulating keel idea, precisely because of the vulnerability at shallow draft, and I do not think I would want that.
That would be a good experiment to do. But it would not change my mind, because in my circumstances it is what it is - I worry about hitting stuff at the bottom all the time, boating on a river.

Which category would my 242 fall into? It's not as slippery as the flatter bottom jet boats, but it's not as refined as the new boats with the keel. I like the combination of fun and usability that it provides. I voted for jet propelled because I think that hits more of the things important to me. I like being able to do things that my I/O friends can't like WOT turns and backing into the sandbar, but I don't do the crazy stuff jetboats are known for to the outside world.

I would see that as a jet-propelled boat preference.
EDIT: NOT talking about the video! LOL.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are so many factors here that this is a hard one to answer definitively, but I went with #2 as I don't want just a flat bottom boat with a jet. I want a:
  • refined runabout with a great layout
  • No exposed Prop to worry about
  • Easy maintenance
  • Rough water handling ability
  • Jet boat driving fun
And probably in that order

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D why can't I/Os do WOT turns? I agree the prop will most likely washout but the jets lose speed as well when WOT turning.

Also, plenty of I/Os back into beaches. outboards have a hydrolic lift on the transom to angle the lower unit out of the water.
It may just depend on the circumstances where you boat, how much open water (and the size of your cojones, of course ;)).
But I can tell you I would never even attempt the WOT turns I do without hesitation in the Yammie in an out board boat in the river.

Another point is that if your pump is tuned right, there can be ZERO cavitation in any turns at high revs. That is impossible with props (and requires some tweeking with stock Yammies, but can be achieved relatively easily). And then you get just epic thrust as you can be revving it high for maximum HP without cavitation.

I agree about backing to beaches, jet boats may be a bit overrated here. I actually don't think there is that much advantage unless you not worried about sucking gravel.

Last edited:

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fast is loose and loose is fast. Love the Way the jet boat slides when you want it to. River is kinda narrow where we boat, might not be able to spin around with the new articulating keel.

Safety factor is awesome. never liked prop boats for the safety reason.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I miss my exciter. Now that thing was a jet boat! Slide where u want!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fast is loose and loose is fast. Love the Way the jet boat slides when you want it to. River is kinda narrow where we boat, might not be able to spin around with the new articulating keel.
@dan144k Thank you for chiming in! Coming from a serious wake surfer - I totally had you guessed wrong! LOL. Albeit as always - you make perfect sense, and make me reassess.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree about backing to beaches, jet boats may be a bit overrated here. I actually don't think there is that much advantage unless you not worried about sucking gravel.
I agree...out boards can do this too...but the big difference is the jet boat ends up with a completely open and accessible transom where you can hang out with a group of people, have a table, put drinks down, grill etc and you don't have this honking great engine sitting in the middle with a prop swinging around at groin smashing height! So sure is CAN be done, but the end results are quite different.

It is like the difference between having a dining table there vs a garage workbench with table saw mounted.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When we bought our SX210, we weren't looking for a jet boat. That just happened to be the type of drive that came attached to the boat we found that had the layout, features, look, and price point we were after. After having had it for 4 years now, I've come to appreciate the benefits and discover the drawbacks (just drawback to me, not to everybody) of a jet driven boat. There's a lot to love about them, for sure. However, we've decided to move on to a V drive for our next boat. I'll miss the ability to not worry about hitting a prop on anything or anybody and the corresponding ability to pull the stern into 2 feet of water and tie it off for easy beach access. I am looking forward to the tracking, V8 power characteristics/sound, and ability of my wife to be able to actually drive with confidence (she just never could quite get the hang of low speed handling of our SX210).

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When we bought our SX210, we weren't looking for a jet boat. That just happened to be the type of drive that came attached to the boat we found that had the layout, features, look, and price point we were after. After having had it for 4 years now, I've come to appreciate the benefits and discover the drawbacks (just drawback to me, not to everybody) of a jet driven boat. There's a lot to love about them, for sure. However, we've decided to move on to a V drive for our next boat. I'll miss the ability to not worry about hitting a prop on anything or anybody and the corresponding ability to pull the stern into 2 feet of water and tie it off for easy beach access. I am looking forward to the tracking, V8 power characteristics/sound, and ability of my wife to be able to actually drive with confidence (she just never could quite get the hang of low speed handling of our SX210).
You should test drive a 2015+ Yamaha as I think you'll find both the tracking and sound are much different.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You should test drive a 2015+ Yamaha as I think you'll find both the tracking and sound are much different.
My slip is limited to a boat with a 22 foot nominal (i.e. registration) length and bigger slips are an 8 - 10 year wait, so a 242/240 is out. It doesn't really matter, though, as I've got an order in for a new MB Sports F22!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's not how fast you boat, but how well you boat fast!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This a jet powered boat?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's funny - the term "jet boat" seems to have become synonymous with the very small SeaDoo and Yamaha boats of some years back for many people. For me, it's really always conjured images of the open stacked, blown big block powered flat bottom, closed bow, roostertail throwing go-fast jetboats of the late 70's and 80's. Our local lake had A LOT of those things on it when I was a kid, until some ordinance was passed that effectively banned boats with open stacks for about 5 years. In fact, when we bought our Yamaha and I told my parents that we'd purchased a "jet boat", that is initially what they thought we meant!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's funny - the term "jet boat" seems to have become synonymous with the very small SeaDoo and Yamaha boats of some years back for many people. For me, it's really always conjured images of the open stacked, blown big block powered flat bottom, closed bow, roostertail throwing go-fast jetboats of the late 70's and 80's. Our local lake had A LOT of those things on it when I was a kid, until some ordinance was passed that effectively banned boats with open stacks for about 5 years. In fact, when we bought our Yamaha and I told my parents that we'd purchased a "jet boat", that is initially what they thought we meant!
@OrangeTJ EXACTLY! That's why I find it pretty fascinating a manufacturer like Chaparral would pitch their new boats with adds bragging about old school jet boat maneuvers. I guess the jet boat stigma must be over.

--