• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Docking in salt water for a week?

azallen23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
We are planning a vacation in the Keys this winter. This will be the first time having the boat in salt water. I plan to leave the boat in the water while there 7nights.

Can anyone share some best care/maintence practices before, during and post stay?

Much appreciated!

This may be worth reading,Yamaha Jet boats and salt water. also if you search you will find more threads on the subject. If it were me i would pull the boat half way through the trip and flush the motors/lightly clean the boat. Also at the end of the trip before going home.

I've been doing this once a year for the last 4yrs or so. We take a trip to FL annually, and we've taken the boat a few times. In general a week in Salt Water if you're fairly active in fresh water hasn't shown us any unusually high wear or corrosion issues.

Get some Salt-A-Way and flush the engines, trailer, and rinse down the boat with it once you're out of the water. I usually do this the last day we're at the AirBnB. I bring my own hose and connections to make the process work. If you're in a hotel, or condo setting this is more difficult. It's not going to kill the machine if you don't do it until you get home. 2 of my trips have been that way.

Once you're home, give it a good bath and rinse with your favorite washing products. Dunk the trailer a few times in fresh water to let it rinse as best as possible.

Finally.....enjoy the amazing water down there. It's been worth the tow for us every single time. This was from Pensacola/Destin/Navarre in June of '21.

(click to make bigger)
1722954268931.png

I would say if you have the option to pull the boat and flush it, do it. Even if it’s at a ramp or the house with some clean water. Saltwater is evil. I would also suggest spraying down the running gear with some corrosion spray and pulling the steering cable boot back and drain any standing water and spray/ lube that really well. I had my steering cable freeze up and I used only in saltwater. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way and will ensure a smoother vacation 😉

We went to Bimini for 7 days and never pulled it out to clean or flush. Just did a good job of it when we got home and have had no ill affects from it.

You can flush in the water if your dock has a hose near but all the comments are good if you choose to wait till the end or half way through............never took any damage on a 7 day trip........BUT all the chrome bright work got beat to death because the first time I forgot to wax all the stainless.............ladders/grab rails/ ski hooks and the trailer hooks on the boat. IF you have a galvanized trailer you are ok but my trailer got a good nasty butt kick from the salt.

I've been doing this once a year for the last 4yrs or so. We take a trip to FL annually, and we've taken the boat a few times. In general a week in Salt Water if you're fairly active in fresh water hasn't shown us any unusually high wear or corrosion issues.

Get some Salt-A-Way and flush the engines, trailer, and rinse down the boat with it once you're out of the water. I usually do this the last day we're at the AirBnB. I bring my own hose and connections to make the process work. If you're in a hotel, or condo setting this is more difficult. It's not going to kill the machine if you don't do it until you get home. 2 of my trips have been that way.

Once you're home, give it a good bath and rinse with your favorite washing products. Dunk the trailer a few times in fresh water to let it rinse as best as possible.

Finally.....enjoy the amazing water down there. It's been worth the tow for us every single time. This was from Pensacola/Destin/Navarre in June of '21.

(click to make bigger)
View attachment 224903
Where was this pic taken?

You can flush in the water if your dock has a hose near but all the comments are good if you choose to wait till the end or half way through............never took any damage on a 7 day trip........BUT all the chrome bright work got beat to death because the first time I forgot to wax all the stainless.............ladders/grab rails/ ski hooks and the trailer hooks on the boat. IF you have a galvanized trailer you are ok but my trailer got a good nasty butt kick from the salt.
This only works if you pinch off the inlet hose from the pumps, otherwise your just sucking deluted saltwater back into the engine.

Everyone overthinks saltwater. Just enjoy the boat for the week and flush and wash as soon as you pull it out it will be fine. If you have a painted trailer you will regret using it to launch as you will never get all the salt out of the inside of the tubes and it will start rusting as soon as it dries out.

got to love the folks that post for help on this forum that never return. Its like we are all here wasting our time without reciprocation.

Thank you all for the pointers, very helpful!

It is respectful to members of this forum to be apart of the conversation. Glad to see your still engaged.

Once you return to fresh water any salt remaining in the engines will be flushed away as well, but if possible use salt away after the boat comes out of the salt water.

Do you have a hudson sprayer? I’ve seen several folks who put a salt away solution in a hudson sprayer and rinse down their trailer after they launch their boat. Even rinsing it down with fresh water will help. Some boat ramps have fresh water available to rinse boats off.

Your jet pumps have a pretty good anti corrosion coating on them so they will be fine for the week you will be there.

When you get back, pull the little rubber booties down on the steering cables to let any salt water that may have gotten in there out. If you do find water in there leave them pulled down when you return to fresh water to rinse the cables out.

I’m with the others, go and enjoy your trip ! Sounds like a blast!

Where was this pic taken?
That's just off the end of the runway in Pensacola, FL. We cruised down from Navarre, FL and watched the Blue Angels practice from the water.

1723031451939.png

Uncle took this one a few minutes later while i was moving the anchor
1723031513292.png

Back