• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking lights install in a 2016 AR240 - Fall mods

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the same lights but in black. Mine did not come with screws. I was just wondering.

Where did you tap power from?

How did you positioned these lights? Did you wire them first externally in the driveway to figure out the best placement on the boat or did you just try to match the 242 Limited S location?
Mike - check out post #3 https://jetboaters.net/threads/stereo-upgrade-help.15954/#post-274333 - which shows some of my wiring at the helm.

As far as the screws - I would use SS that fit and are probably not longer than 1". When drilling - the fit is critical, too tight - will crack the gel coat, too loose - won't hold.
My placement was done in the driveway - the location followed factory and then I tried to position the lights to give the strongest beam forward to help dock in the dark. Those lights are not super bright but I find them adequate/helpful around the docks.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mike - check out post #3 https://jetboaters.net/threads/stereo-upgrade-help.15954/#post-274333 - which shows some of my wiring at the helm.

As far as the screws - I would use SS that fit and are probably not longer than 1". When drilling - the fit is critical, too tight - will crack the gel coat, too loose - won't hold.

--
Countersinking the holes will prevent most spider cracks in gelcoat originating from a drilled hole. The good boat builders do this when they install hardware, it also lets more bedding compound into the hole to prevent leaks.
This guy uses butyl tape to rebed hardware http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=1

Edit: If you are drilling or clamping to the tower, this is a moot point.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Countersinking the holes will prevent most spider cracks in gelcoat originating from a drilled hole. The good boat builders do this when they install hardware, it also lets more bedding compound into the hole to prevent leaks.
Absolutely important, thank you, I meant to say that!

--

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, now you have had time to use the docking lights what do you think? We were at St. Charles boat and motor open how last weekend. My wife fell in love with the docking lights on the 2018's, Now I need to add them. Looking at the same lights you bought
here is a less expensive option from "Five oceans" Amazon.com.
they are only IP66 rated for above the waterline - may save a few dollars

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got to take advantage of 75deg weather in the middle of November, right?

Finally got to install my new docking lights! Trying to decide between Attwood and Seadog, I figured Attwoods were what Yamaha uses in Limited models, so I went with those and installed in the same location.
View attachment 48620

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-6522SS7-LED-Docking-Light/dp/B0074WG47K

Not too bad of an install. Went with a missile launcher for the switch, I think it looks cute :D.
View attachment 48621View attachment 48622
View attachment 48623View attachment 48624

Also finished the SeaDek - looks pretty good.
View attachment 48625

--
how difficult was it to get the wires through the Hull in the Bow?